Favorite Scripture Song?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2018
Hi All,
I was listening earlier to Keith Green's rendition of Psalm 23. It occurred to me that it is one of my favourite songs which is basically Scripture set to music. I like the way he put the song together musically, lyrically, and scripturally...

Okay, that's a mouthful. I like the music itself, separate from the words. It is joyful and tense, darkness and dawn, all just with notes. I like how he took the words of Scripture and, without changing or rearranging them too much, set them to music such that they flow with the music; the words go along well with the notes and chords underneath them. I also like that he didn't twist the meaning of the Scripture to make his song, as songwriters are somewhat prone to do, or force-fit parts of the passage.

So, with those parameters in mind, what are some of your favourite songs which are basically Scripture set to music?

Please note that I am not asking what "your favourite piece of Scripture" is, which happens to be set to music... that's a different question! :)
I LOVE this thread-- so glad that you started it (albeit a while back). :D (And so glad for whoever posted on it which brought it forward again!!!) This is awesome!! <3

My favourite scripture song is The Lord is My Light by Adeaze .. I also love that it is sung in both English and Samoan. I think it's just SO beautiful!! Psalm 27:1 and 14 ..

Dec 9, 2018
This has been going through my head all morning. It's an oldie, but definitely one worth keeping around!! :D

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
:)

Psalm 35
King James Version (KJV)
1 Plead my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
3 Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
4 Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
5 Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the Lord chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the Lord persecute them.
7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.
8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.
9 And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
10 All my bones shall say, Lord, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
11 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
12 They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
14 I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
15 But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:
16 With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
17 Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.
19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
20 For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
22 This thou hast seen, O Lord: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.
23 Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
24 Judge me, O Lord my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.
26 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
27 Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
28 And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
:)

Psalm 35
King James Version (KJV)
1 Plead my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
3 Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
4 Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
5 Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the Lord chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the Lord persecute them.
7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.
8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.
9 And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
10 All my bones shall say, Lord, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
11 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
12 They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
14 I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
15 But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:
16 With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
17 Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.
19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
20 For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
22 This thou hast seen, O Lord: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.
23 Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
24 Judge me, O Lord my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
25 Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.
26 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
27 Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
28 And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.
that song is, with just a few melodic liberties, word-for-word the scripture being sung

here is another song, which is taken from Psalm 35, but treated differently when set to music - the first verse & chorus of the song are the first few verses of the Psalm, and additional verses of the song are the artist's words -

so --- i love both songs. but they have two different approaches to singing the scripture:
  • Marlon Asher just sings ((a large portion of)) the Psalm adding nothing but some artistic flourish to the words
  • Monty G sings part of the Psalm and, inspired by it, adds his own words of encouragement and teaching
what do y'all think?
are either/both what you think of as '
scripture songs' ?
what if Monty G hadn't sang the first few verses of Psalm 35? would it still be a '
Psalm 35' song?
what changes?

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
And here's one from the Netherlands, the same verse.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
a very large proportion of Elgibbor's ((Hebrew for 'God Almighty')) music, over more than a dozen albums, is verbatim scripture sung in various black metal styles - usually prophecy, but not always.
read: very heavy metal music. not for every ear to appreciate ;)

this is one of Elgibbor's best IMO:

lyrics:

Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon. And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men. And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.
(Revelation 13:11-18)

i'm not sure what version he uses, but it's close to NKJV, which is what i put here. there may be a few minor differences.

G

Godsgirl83

So when reading the thread title and the OP the first song that came to mind is by Third Day "Your love Oh Lord.... (Psalm 36)

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
Sorry that it's not in English, but recently I've been listening to this one alot. It's about the famous Psalms 23 and I like it very much.

G

Godsgirl83

Sorry that it's not in English, but recently I've been listening to this one alot. It's about the famous Psalms 23 and I like it very much.

Who is that? I'd like to look up more by him.
What language is that in, if you know?

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
Who is that? I'd like to look up more by him.
What language is that in, if you know?
It's in Hebrew, but you won't find much interesting stuff if you look him up. He is a Jew, but I found this song relevant to Christianity. His name is Haim Israel. Haim means "Life" and it's a real name, not a stage name.

G

Godsgirl83

It's in Hebrew, but you won't find much interesting stuff if you look him up. He is a Jew, but I found this song relevant to Christianity. His name is Haim Israel. Haim means "Life" and it's a real name, not a stage name.
Thanks, I enjoy Jewish/Hebrew music.
Messianic too.

F

FullyLoved

One of my favorites that drew me to this group. Please listen.