Favourite Bible Translations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Make up your mind what you are shocked about will you?

Is it that rubbish, trash, garbage, waste, refuse & dung heaps are all the same thing but you want a smaller vocabulary?
Or is it that a current Bible translation didn't use the same term as early modern English for excrement?
Or is it that 'dung' is neither a Greek nor a Hebrew word?

Or is your latest nit-picking grievance just a pile of crap?
the KJV has dung, so no update needed. 🙂

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the KJV has dung, so no update needed. 🙂
Some people just want more colourful language. But if your Bible is full of expletives, it might offend some people.

Also they might not know the difference between the Holy Bible and the Holey Bible. (yep, there's one)

I had lots of people swear at the bookshop cos there seems to be a lot of books with f--- and s--- in the title.

As long as it's not directed at me personally, or God, they can say it and I won't be offended.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The chronicles of Narnia had satyrs in it if I recall, not unicorns. CS Lewis admitted that his series was a myth.
Though you still get some people today believing that Jesus is like a lion, just because Aslan was the christ-like figure in that book.

It's REALLY difficult to disavow them of the notion, and get them to read the Bible and point at the passages where it's clearly referring to Jesus as the lamb of God.

So you'll come across people just casually referring to Jesus as the lion of Judah or whatever (same as Rastafarians), having lions in their avatar, thinking we as christians should act like lions, when all through the Bible its Satan the one who is like a lion prowling about lol.

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Some people just want more colourful language. But if your Bible is full of expletives, it might offend some people.

Also they might not know the difference between the Holy Bible and the Holey Bible. (yep, there's one)

I had lots of people swear at the bookshop cos there seems to be a lot of books with f--- and s--- in the title.

As long as it's not directed at me personally, or God, they can say it and I won't be offended.
"bastard" is in the KJV, aka illegitimate in the other versions.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So you'll come across people just casually referring to Jesus as the lion of Judah
The Bible calls Jesus BOTH the Lamb of God and the Lion of the tribe of Judah. There is nothing casual about that.

And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. (Rev 5:5)

This was prefigured in the prophecy of Jacob (Gen 49:9-12) before he died, where Jesus is called "Shiloh":

Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto Him shall the gathering of the people be. Binding His foal unto the vine, and His ass's colt unto the choice vine; He washed his garments in wine, and His clothes in the blood of grapes: His eyes shall be red with wine, and His teeth white with milk.

The first title refers to His first coming, and the second title refers to His second coming. There is absolutely no conflict. Christ came as the Lamb of God to die for the sins of the whole world. But when He comes the second time He comes to destroy all the enemies of God, Christ, Christians, and Israel. It is only after that that Christ sets up His eternal Kingdom on earth. Thus He comes as a Lion. This time is called "the day of vengeance of our God".

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I found out there's an Aussie Bible, not sure if want to risk posting any passages from it! lol

When I helped with Bibles in schools, we would have Bible songs and some of them would refer to Aussie things like God creating emus and other Australian things. The NZ versions would have kiwi things of course. It just makes it relatable.

World missions people would try and relate to the culture they were evangelising because they wouldn't have any reference in their world to the things and concepts of the Bible. They call it eye-openers.

St Patrick was said to have explained the trinity using a shamrock.
In China, many of the chracters in the chinese language actually tell a Bible story.
It's just the same as Paul referring to 'the unknown God' that Greek people would always debate.

Jewish people needed a sign. Whether it was Jonah in the whale, or a bronze serpent on a stick, they needed something tangible to witness God in their lives. But nothing was more tangible than Jesus being amongst them right? Yet they also, being highly literate population, needed things written down and told to them in stories. Jesus admonished them:

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39

Jan 25, 2015
Apparently the Pope wants to rewrite the Bible because the current Bible is outdated. That would be interesting but I won't waste money on buying one.

Jan 25, 2015
cos they are brainwashed, gullible, or both ?
Maybe both. But the RCC does have its place in the end time religion and as we move closer to that time they will get their prominence back. It is already happening.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The chronicles of Narnia had satyrs in it if I recall, not unicorns. CS Lewis admitted that his series was a myth.
Though you still get some people today believing that Jesus is like a lion, just because Aslan was the christ-like figure in that book.

It's REALLY difficult to disavow them of the notion, and get them to read the Bible and point at the passages where it's clearly referring to Jesus as the lamb of God.

So you'll come across people just casually referring to Jesus as the lion of Judah or whatever (same as Rastafarians), having lions in their avatar, thinking we as christians should act like lions, when all through the Bible its Satan the one who is like a lion prowling about lol.
The Bible calls Jesus BOTH the Lamb of God and the Lion of the tribe of Judah. There is nothing casual about that.

And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. (Rev 5:5)

This was prefigured in the prophecy of Jacob (Gen 49:9-12) before he died, where Jesus is called "Shiloh":

Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto Him shall the gathering of the people be. Binding His foal unto the vine, and His ass's colt unto the choice vine; He washed his garments in wine, and His clothes in the blood of grapes: His eyes shall be red with wine, and His teeth white with milk.

The first title refers to His first coming, and the second title refers to His second coming. There is absolutely no conflict. Christ came as the Lamb of God to die for the sins of the whole world. But when He comes the second time He comes to destroy all the enemies of God, Christ, Christians, and Israel. It is only after that that Christ sets up His eternal Kingdom on earth. Thus He comes as a Lion. This time is called "the day of vengeance of our God".
in 1 Kings 13:24-25 He is the lion, the donkey, and also the man of God who gave his life for the treacherous prophet. this is also the Father, the Spirit, and the Son

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
in 1 Kings 13:24-25 He is the lion, the donkey, and also the man of God who gave his life for the treacherous prophet. this is also the Father, the Spirit, and the Son
are you talking about Jesus, I was referring to Jesus.

God often works through animal archetypes but Hes always chosen the shepherd/sheep metaphor which Jesus has run with.

You observe nature, lions eat lambs and all other animals as their prey.. Lambs and sheep do not eat other animals. They give wool and actually sacrifice their lives for us. A shepeherd looks after his sheep and guards them from hungry wild animals, including lions and wolves. You can explain this to a child and they will understand.

but thing with books like Narnia or Disneys Lion King, is they protray lions as king of the jungle etc in a cutesy way as if they never harm any other animals and eat them for dinner lol.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

God often works through animal archetypes but Hes always chosen the shepherd/sheep metaphor which Jesus has run with.

You observe nature, lions eat lambs and all other animals as their prey.. Lambs and sheep do not eat other animals. They give wool and actually sacrifice their lives for us. A shepeherd looks after his sheep and guards them from hungry wild animals, including lions and wolves. You can explain this to a child and they will understand.

but thing with books like Narnia or Disneys Lion King, is they protray lions as king of the jungle etc in a cutesy way as if they never harm any other animals and eat them for dinner lol.
Yes of course I'm talking about Jesus Christ the lion of the tribe of Judah.

What Nehemiah6 said is correct, the scripture speaks of Him both as a lamb and a lion.

Have you read the verses I mentioned?

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018

I agree, but I think that after the events of Revelation are fulfilled, the intended order of nature will be as it was in the beginning.

Isaiah 11:6-9

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I'm under no delusion that Disney was trying to make a movie that glorifies Christ. But C.S. Lewis was definitely purposefully writing metaphors of the gospel into his books. So, I think it's significant that he has Aslan a lion that acts very meek as a lamb.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
we havent reached that stage yet otherwise people would be releasing lions onto sheep farms.

when the lions are content to just eat grass, let me know. lol

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
A shepeherd looks after his sheep and guards them from hungry wild animals, including lions and wolves. You can explain this to a child and they will understand.
a sheepdog herds and guards sheep also, and a dog kills and eats. dogs will even kill indiscriminately, not eating, just murdering.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
we havent reached that stage yet otherwise people would be releasing lions onto sheep farms.

when the lions are content to just eat grass, let me know. lol
how about i let you know when things like Hosea 5:14 become part of the Bible :)