Feeding the homeless being regulated?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
If they want the charities to provide better services and to maintain cleaner areas then give them the money to do it. Passing laws with fines attaches will just cause them to be fined and line the pockets of the city council. These charities are already under-staffed and under-equipped. They are already doing the best job that they can with the limited resources that they have.

TheKringledOne

Dec 25, 2009
It sucks that these things are regulated these ways but they need to be regulated in the same way that one would pass out food to any public group according to the law. I know that in my city charities like feeding the homeless are generally ignored by the health department but they are not protected from the health department by law. I do feel like these charities need to regulated like anything else. Giving away food to the homeless is great but not if there is the potential for it to be the cause a large number of them to get sick.

All this means is that multiple churches and other organizations would have to start working together to preform food drives that are up to the standards that any other food establishment have to abide by.

K

kayem77

This is RIDICULOUS. What people need is more reasons to help the needy, not laws preventing them from doing something....I find this even insulting, they are more worried about litter on the streets instead of being worried about their people getting fed.

V

violakat

Kayem, I can see the regulations, in regards to food being preparred. That I understand, with wanting to make sure the homeless don't suffer from illnesses brought on by food. But I do agree with you about the litter, why are we so much more concerned about the litter, then about homeless. Also, as for location, what if the homeless are not able to get to the said food locations? It's not like most of them have cars. Many of the ones I see walk.

And Kayem, here's another question to answer, also everyone else. There are rules in place, in many areas, where you can not give money or food to people begging for it on the streets. Although, the homeless can beg. And you can give money to the fire department, different organizations, etc, but not the homeless. (Or at least it seems every few weeks there are some organization on the same streets that the homeless begs on.) Keep in mind, that the areas I'm talking are by major highway accesses where there are many traffic lights and intersections. The homeless generally do not go into towns, unless its to the wooded sections. What do you think about this?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I feel that this is just another way the city has come up with to make more money. Cities are literally broke these days. As for preventing food borne illness, these homeless would be eating out of trash cans if it wasn't for these charities. If the city really wants to help, then they should provide refrigeration or propose a fee on citizens to help pay for the cost of improving the situation. All they want to do is collect fine money from non-profit charities that are already operating on a shoestring budget.

K

kayem77

I feel that this is just another way the city has come up with to make more money. Cities are literally broke these days. As for preventing food borne illness, these homeless would be eating out of trash cans if it wasn't for these charities. If the city really wants to help, then they should provide refrigeration or propose a fee on citizens to help pay for the cost of improving the situation. All they want to do is collect fine money from non-profit charities that are already operating on a shoestring budget.
I feel the same way exactly, these people wouldn't be eating at all if it wasn't for these charities, it seems like they just want to get more money. I don't think the government has any business regulating WHERE people give, that's just ridiculous. As Violakat pointed out , how can they travel where the government wants them to go if they don't have a car or money for travelling? I'm sure there are other ways to ''help'' making the service better instead of just scaring people with expensive fines.

I agree that the food served by feeding organizations should have some regulations to prevent serving unhealthy or spoiled food...but a $2000 fine seems too much to me. I don't wanna sound like those people that only criticize the government but I'm just tired of organizations pretending they care for people when they only care about money, I've seen that happen all the time.