Feeling discouraged but holding on....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 10, 2019
Canada
I don't like to ask for help, I prefer to be the one helping. And asking for prayer....its asking for help. I don't have any problem with asking God for help, I do it practically every day, but asking others to pray for me....its not something I'm used to doing.

I am going through a bad bout of sciatica right now, its been going on since before Christmas and isn't getting better, its getting worse. Driving to work this evening for my shift at work, a 12 hour overnight shift, I was asking for God's help.

My wife isn't well, suffering from mental health issues and I'm feeling worn out, worn out physically and emotionally. My wife doesn't drive, so anytime she needs something I have to take her. She does an incredible job looking after our 6 year old. Pretty much every day she gets him ready for school. I help as I'm able, but working 12 hour shifts that rotate between days and nights is hard. I started this rotation of shifts Friday, so until Wednesday morning at 8am I'm pretty much just working and sleeping.

I'm 53 years of age, and it feels like my body is breaking down. Maybe if I was younger I could handle this better....the pain in my back shoots down my left leg, sometimes right to my heel although lately its mostly just below the knee. My little guy likes to do 'jump hugs', he stands on the arm of the sofa and jumps in my arms. I haven't been able to handle one for about a month now.

I was driving tonight and feeling overwhelmed. Working, grocery and clothes shopping, banking, maintaining the car, doctor appts....its and endless list and its a treadmill. I know this is the same for everyone...pretty much everyone feels the need to hit a pause button every now and again, stopping everything so you can play catch up.

God did hear my prayer, He hears all my prayers. I listen almost exclusively to a Christian radio station and a song came on, I've probably heard it before but I didn't pay attention to the words. It was exactly what I needed to hear, and I'm not ashamed to say I had tears rolling down my cheeks. My God is an awesome God and even at times like this when I'm struggling and feeling discouraged He sends help.

Thanks for any prayers. I know God will look after me, He already called me back and I'm not leaving His side again.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Prayers are about coming together with God and one another, and in doing so,
we grow together.
'Being 'called back'...be glad in this, the reason, one never knows. Praise God.
I pray you and your family needs come about, and you find renewed strength and courage
to attend to your daily life accordingly, being ever mindful of God's 'presence'...'to be'."
'Amen'
'Praise God'

man-praying - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
OOH, I feel your pain LITERALLY. Back in 2014, I slipped on ice and landed flat on my back. It herniated and I got sciatica in my back and left leg for a few months. The pain of sciatica is indescribable, I can't even put a word to it..

Anyhoo I ended up in the hospital for a few days, and had to have steroid shots in my back to take down the swelling. I've never had shots in my back before, so it scared the heck outta me. I had it done twice, about a month apart and I couldn't feel it either time, thank God.

They gave me Dilaudid, which is THE strongest pain killer. Didn't even touch the pain. The Robaxin (muscle relaxer) they gave me worked better.

PLEASE go get it checked out. It WILL get worse if left untreated. And please read my physical pain testimony, it chronicles what I went through, the lessons I learned and much more. :) I will link it here. Feel free to respond to it on it's thread. :)

Six years later, I STILL deal with the permanent after-effects of sciatica, and it's NOT fun..

https://christianchat.com/miscellaneous/lady-blues-testimony-lessons-learned-through-my-pain.110494/

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
Lord I pray that you would help STMR with his life. Heal his body of sciatica so that he is able to move freely and be without pain. You said you are our healer. You designed our body, you are also able and willing to repair it. Show STMR that you heal. Lift discouragement, remove the lies of the enemy. Heal his wife from the mental health issues she is experiencing, replace them with peace. Let their suffering come to an end in the name of Jesus. Amen

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

@crmvet, thank you for that Psalm reference, I really have to dive deeper into the Psalms, there are words for every situation just in that book. That verse is so true, there is light even in the darkness. @Bingo my journey back has been a wonderful discovery, I'm still working out being what God wants me to be but I know He wants what is best. @blue_ladybug, I read the linked post on your thread....my pain has not been nearly as debilitating as your's was, but you are so right that times like this can bring one closer to faith and forge a deeper and more meaningful relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. @Ruby123 and @levi85, your prayers are such an encouragement, thank you for blessing me with them.

I got home from work Sunday morning at about 8am, after a 12 hour shift I was tired. My little guy was still in bed and I laid down with him. Worship starts at 10am and I was bound and determined that I wanted to go, but I was afraid my eyes would close and that I wouldn't wake up in time. Thankfully I did, I don't like missing worship. The message spoke to my situation, we read from John about the woman at the well, the Samaritan who was living with a man who wasn't her husband, having had 5 husbands already.

Our pastor has been preaching on identity of late. Last week was Zacheus, which he told us means "innocent", I checked last week and found alternative translations of clean or pure.....clean/pure/innocent, they're all pretty much synonymous. Zacheus was not a liked man, the crowed muttered about Jesus going to the house of a sinner, likewise the woman at the well could be seen as a fallen woman, having been through 5 husbands. But perhaps Zacheus was an innocent man even though he was a chief tax collector, perhaps he never sought to take more than what was owed. Likewise the woman, did her husbands divorce her for reasons of infidelity or did they just become bored with her....

My back will heal in time....and if the pain and discomfort draws me closer to God, then its all to the good and His glory.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
When I was driving in yesterday, just as I was pulling in to my workplace this was the song that came on.....same theme as 'In The Eye of The Storm' that I heard earlier....such an awesome message when life starts throwing challenges in my way:

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Yours is a very special kind of prayer request. You have encouraged many with your testimony. Thank you so much. I will pray for you. I'm sure there is a reason. It will all make sense someday. God bless you.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Thanks for your message and your prayer @oyster67

I'm doing much better tonight, just 2 more shifts on this rotation. Its always a good day when I attend worship, I go to an awesome church. And while this forum doesn't replace real live human content, its still fellowship, and overwhelmingly the people are are wonderful and caring, true image bearers.

I see so many messages on here about people who don't feel connected with a faith community, I'm blessed to have found one where I feel at home. With that being said my church is by no means perfect, there are some divisions, like here not everyone agrees on all the finer points of scripture. For me that's fine, what's more important is those things which unite us, and the biggest of course is that we're rooted in Christ and by His loving sacrifice.

Feb 9, 2020
Father thank you for bro stmr i pray for healing for him and his wife and the renewing of his strength as he waits upon you in JESUS name. amen

karen0123

Dec 14, 2011
I don't like to ask for help, I prefer to be the one helping. And asking for prayer....its asking for help. I don't have any problem with asking God for help, I do it practically every day, but asking others to pray for me....its not something I'm used to doing.

I am going through a bad bout of sciatica right now, its been going on since before Christmas and isn't getting better, its getting worse. Driving to work this evening for my shift at work, a 12 hour overnight shift, I was asking for God's help.

My wife isn't well, suffering from mental health issues and I'm feeling worn out, worn out physically and emotionally. My wife doesn't drive, so anytime she needs something I have to take her. She does an incredible job looking after our 6 year old. Pretty much every day she gets him ready for school. I help as I'm able, but working 12 hour shifts that rotate between days and nights is hard. I started this rotation of shifts Friday, so until Wednesday morning at 8am I'm pretty much just working and sleeping.

I'm 53 years of age, and it feels like my body is breaking down. Maybe if I was younger I could handle this better....the pain in my back shoots down my left leg, sometimes right to my heel although lately its mostly just below the knee. My little guy likes to do 'jump hugs', he stands on the arm of the sofa and jumps in my arms. I haven't been able to handle one for about a month now.

I was driving tonight and feeling overwhelmed. Working, grocery and clothes shopping, banking, maintaining the car, doctor appts....its and endless list and its a treadmill. I know this is the same for everyone...pretty much everyone feels the need to hit a pause button every now and again, stopping everything so you can play catch up.

God did hear my prayer, He hears all my prayers. I listen almost exclusively to a Christian radio station and a song came on, I've probably heard it before but I didn't pay attention to the words. It was exactly what I needed to hear, and I'm not ashamed to say I had tears rolling down my cheeks. My God is an awesome God and even at times like this when I'm struggling and feeling discouraged He sends help.

Thanks for any prayers. I know God will look after me, He already called me back and I'm not leaving His side again.

Please Pray Without Ceasing, For This Gentleman And His Wife.

Father, I know the most important reality of my life is that you love me and that you look at me this moment with such tenderness and love as no one ever could;

I am your only child.

You desire to forgive me and to heal me where I want healing so that this day will be a brand-new beginning with “a future full of hope.”

Whatever I have to face today, one thing I know, is that you will be there with me as my best friend, helping, consoling, strengthening, healing and guiding me.

There is absolutely nothing I have to be afraid of. All this I know because your Son has told us so. Amen

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com

God is with you, he wanted you to have this, click on the about link, I will pay for it for you and your wife, at least give it a chance.
Send me in private your email address, and I will send you a link to click on, then you download it onto a laptop, or a mobile phone, etc.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
To the OP, do NOT give the previous poster your email address or ANY personal info!!!

Feb 21, 2020

Feb 21, 2020

Just read about your struggles and will pray that God will heal you. You are of good courage and keeping on and God will bless. Sciatica and wear you down, I know because I have experience it. There are exercises which help and maybe you can learn one in particular that helps from a therapist. Stretching helps my leg helps me but you have to learn how to do it. Going to the swimming pool and water walking also helps besides swimming. What you ask for is prayer that that I will do as our creator God is the healer. May he touch you with his lover and healing power. May He also be with your wife and child to help, one day at a time. May you be be blessed to be able to do your job and function at home with your family. God loves you and your family and I pray the He will be with each one of you and you reach out for healing. Blessings!

Feb 26, 2020
StrugglingTilMyReward, I can relate to you. I experienced extreme pain just like you described for about 2 years. I didn't think it would ever go away. That was until I heard that I have the healing power of God within my born-again spirit. I realize, now, that I can walk in complete health, and I have authority over my body. I continued to meditate in healing scriptures, and I'm now pain-free!

If you'd like to watch a free animation video that explains this more, you can watch it here: https://l.awmi.net/32Rjvkw. Please let me know what you think!

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Just a quick update....the back is better, not 100% but much improved, thank you for your prayers.

I'm somewhat breaking my Lenten pledge by posting this. I decided to forgo Facebook/Twitter and social media posting for lent....so look for me to be back on April 10th or later.