FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS FACT OR FICTION

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FLYING FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS FACT OR FICTION

• FACT

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • FICTION

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 14, 2013
Dragons and winged beasts are throughout folklore and myth, most peoples and countries have dragons in their history. It might be a picture of a dragon on the national flag, or statues or stories of courageous men slaying fire breathing reptiles

The question is did Flying Fire Breathing Dragons exist ? or is it made up.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
If they did ever exist they would have found bones so no

T

Tintin

Oh, good! A fun thread. I believe dragons are elaborations on fact. Dinosaurs existed with humanity (were created one day before people) hence, there's little wonder that dragons largely resemble dinosaurs. If dinosaurs died out long before humans came along (as evolutionary theory, presented as fact, would have us believe) there would be no answer as to why dragons feature prominently in world folklore/myth/architecture/art etc. Dinosaurs existed, people saw them. Those people created elaborate stories to entertain and boost their egos as hunters (or whatever). It makes sense. As to whether those dinosaurs breathed fire? It's doubtful but they make for a good story.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
The Bible says they existed, so that settles it for me.

Here is a transcript of Kent Hovind discussing the subject:

"There are four reasons why I believe there were fire breathing dragons.

Number one, the Bible says that there was an animal called Leviathan that could breathe out fire. Job chapter 41 is obviously talking about a fire breathing dragon.

Number 2, there are hundreds of legends about fire breathing dragons. Why do so many countries have legends about fire breathing dragons? Well maybe it’s because they really had fire breathing dragons. If these people were just making this stuff up, why don’t we ever hear a story about a fire breathing hamster or some other kind of animal? It is always a dragon.

Number 3, it is chemically possible for this to happen. There are animals today that have this capability. That is what the bombardier beetle does. This beetle has a canon near his rear end where he can blast his enemies with chemicals that are 212 degrees Fahrenheit: the temperature of boiling water. Now where does this beetle get something to shoot that is 212 degrees?
How could a beetle evolve something that is so complex? What this beetle has is two compartments where he stores two chemicals. If these two chemicals combine they explode. Now the beetle obviously doesn’t want these chemicals to explode inside of his body. So he has a third chemical that is mixed in there called an inhibiter. This keeps the chemical reaction from taking place.
When he is ready to fire, he has a fourth chemical that he sprays in at the last possible second. This fourth chemical neutralizes the third chemical and allows the first two chemicals to explode.
A pretty complicated process for a simple little beetle. It is impossible for something like this to slowly evolve over millions of years.
I can just imagine the sounds of them exploding in the jungles as they practiced their chemistry over millions of years. No, these beetles did not evolve. It is simply impossible for that to happen.

My fourth reason for believing in fire breathing dragons is that some of the dinosaurs had these strange compartments in their heads. Nobody knows for sure what these compartments are for.
Some of the dinosaurs had these big humps on their heads that were enlargements of their sinus passages. They are hollow and connected to the nasal passages of the dinosaur. Some call them the hollow-headed dinosaurs.
Tyrannosaurs Rex had a head the size of a car. His brain was the size of a baseball. The rest of his head was full of these compartments connected to his sinuses. If he had these special chemicals stored in these hollow compartments, he could have been a fire breathing dragon.
So, were there fire breathing dragons? Yes. It is chemically possible, it is anatomically possible, historically something certainly happened for us to have all of these legends about fire breathing dragons, and the Bible clearly says there was an animal called Leviathan that breathed out fire.

So yes, there were fire breathing dragons!"

T

Tintin

Yes, Job indicates that the Leviathan is both a real creature, mythological and symbolic of God's sovereign power over the pagan nations.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Rev_12:3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems.
Rev_12:4 His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it.
Rev_12:7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back,
Rev_12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
Rev_12:13 And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child.
Rev_12:16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth.
Rev_12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.
Rev_13:2 And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear's, and its mouth was like a lion's mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority.
Rev_13:4 And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?"
Rev_13:11 Then I saw another beast rising out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon.
Rev_16:13 And I saw, coming out of the mouth of the dragon and out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet, three unclean spirits like frogs.
Rev_20:2 And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,

right now my laptop is draggin

T

Tintin

The dragon there is obviously representative of Satan. This topic is about dragons as creatures.

Oct 14, 2013
If they existed what colour would they have been ? red ? what do you think

Sep 8, 2012
Yes, dinosaurs are mentioned in the earliest book of the bible. (Job)
Also, there are accounts of flying reptilian like creatures in Britain in the early middle ages, and also american indians had tales past down through generations of a "thunderbird" which resembled a pterodactyl.

Dec 21, 2012
The question is did Flying Fire Breathing Dragons exist ? or is it made up.
Job 41:1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord [which] thou lettest down? ... 18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes [are] like the eyelids of the morning. 19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, [and] sparks of fire leap out. 20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as [out] of a seething pot or caldron. 21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

leviathan.jpg

T

Tintin

Not to mention Josephus' writings. The strange, flying reptiles in the date palm trees.

Oct 14, 2013
Job 41:1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord [which] thou lettest down? ... 18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes [are] like the eyelids of the morning. 19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, [and] sparks of fire leap out. 20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as [out] of a seething pot or caldron. 21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

View attachment 61189
Do you think he had one head or more ?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The dragon there is obviously representative of Satan. This topic is about dragons as creatures.
So is the representation in Revelation based on myths? Or from an actual creature?

T

Tintin

So is the representation in Revelation based on myths? Or from an actual creature?
Oh, I see what you did there. I believe dinosaurs (fact) were elaborated on in stories and handed down the generations to become what we know as dragons.

Sep 8, 2012
Also......every deep fresh water lake has stories of a "monster".
Loch Ness.....Lake Champlain......the Flathead Monster (Montana).
These are sightings and stories that are passed down through the ages.
- Think about it.....if there was a world wide flood, what prehistoric animal would be most likely to survive it?
A plesiosaurus. They lived in non saline water, the flood wouldn't hurt them.
- Food for thought.

T

Tintin

I'm an avid reader of Answers in Genesis and Creation Science magazine. This is good stuff! It's great to see an original, fun thread at the top for once. :)

Oct 14, 2013
Also......every deep fresh water lake has stories of a "monster".
Loch Ness.....Lake Champlain......the Flathead Monster (Montana).
These are sightings and stories that are passed down through the ages.
- Think about it.....if there was a world wide flood, what prehistoric animal would be most likely to survive it?
A plesiosaurus. They lived in non saline water, the flood wouldn't hurt them.
- Food for thought.
Do you think the exist today ?

T

Tintin

Do you think the exist today ?
There may be a few very small dinosaurs still around in the deepest, darkest jungles and parts of the ocean etc. but I believe they probably died out at least a couple hundred years ago. Sad.

Oct 14, 2013
There may be a few very small dinosaurs still around in the deepest, darkest jungles and parts of the ocean etc. but I believe they probably died out at least a couple hundred years ago. Sad.
Do you think all were of in one habitation ie water land etc ?

T

Tintin

I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have a Doctor's in Dragonology.