Shared this in a recent post:
There is something very interesting about the event recorded in Luke 9:52-56 and its connection to the conversion experience of the Samaritans. Unlike the Jews and Gentiles, the Samaritans waited days before receiving the Holy Ghost. Philip the Evangelist presented the gospel message to the group. They believed him and responded, being water baptized in Jesus’ name; yet they did not receive the Holy Ghost. I wondered why Peter and John were given the task of assisting in the experience. It was puzzling since Philip was full of the Holy Ghost (Acts 6:5) why didn’t God just use him? I felt there was some significance to it. So, I questioned God.
A short while later I was reminded of a comment recorded in Luke. The Apostle John (who accompanied Peter) was rebuked by Jesus for asking if he and another disciple should call down fire and consume the Samaritans since they would not receive Jesus. (Luke 9:52-56)
Realization hit me. God gave John a front row seat to witness exactly what Jesus meant when He said “I have come not to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” (Luke 9:56) Yes, the Samaritan people did receive fire from Heaven; but not for destruction. The fire come down from Heaven was the Holy Ghost that all must receive in order to be saved. (Rom. 8:9, Acts 2:1-4, 2:33, 38)
I can just imagine the look on John’s face when he realized that these very people would have lost the opportunity to be saved if Jesus had allowed him to have his way.
There is something very interesting about the event recorded in Luke 9:52-56 and its connection to the conversion experience of the Samaritans. Unlike the Jews and Gentiles, the Samaritans waited days before receiving the Holy Ghost. Philip the Evangelist presented the gospel message to the group. They believed him and responded, being water baptized in Jesus’ name; yet they did not receive the Holy Ghost. I wondered why Peter and John were given the task of assisting in the experience. It was puzzling since Philip was full of the Holy Ghost (Acts 6:5) why didn’t God just use him? I felt there was some significance to it. So, I questioned God.
A short while later I was reminded of a comment recorded in Luke. The Apostle John (who accompanied Peter) was rebuked by Jesus for asking if he and another disciple should call down fire and consume the Samaritans since they would not receive Jesus. (Luke 9:52-56)
Realization hit me. God gave John a front row seat to witness exactly what Jesus meant when He said “I have come not to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” (Luke 9:56) Yes, the Samaritan people did receive fire from Heaven; but not for destruction. The fire come down from Heaven was the Holy Ghost that all must receive in order to be saved. (Rom. 8:9, Acts 2:1-4, 2:33, 38)
I can just imagine the look on John’s face when he realized that these very people would have lost the opportunity to be saved if Jesus had allowed him to have his way.