Five Articles of the Remonstrance of Jacobus Arminius of 1610

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Whosoever believes... believes is a verb... and YOU are rude
I agree, whoever believes! Im sorry its just my sense of humor I guess. I meant no ill will toward you. You know I love you!

My point was that: The calvinists would agree, WHOSOEVER WILL, whosoever believes, etc. All are true!

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Check out that quote! Its written to one of the CHURCHES in Revelation. Thats what we DO KNOW.
Not sure if your point is valid Hevosmies, if you're trying to make a case that because the Laodicean group was a Church, therefore it's implied that they were saved? I would think on the contrary, expressions like 'spew you out', 'repent', '...only to the one who is victorious I will give life', are depicting this particular group as in need of repentence, because their salvation was in question.
Thus, I would believe that 'All' means all and any, not just to a group who, allregedly, is already saved.

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Please can you explain how you disagree with it? The Bible shows how after Adam and Eve sinned that sin entered in through him. It shows we are all sinners. That we are all destined for Hell if we do not trust in the sacrifice of the Son of God who died to pay for our sins. So I cannot understand what you mean.
I'll try very briefly, sorry I don't have verses with me (may not need them).
#1 Immediately at the fall, God himself said that 'they have become like us knowing good and evil. (God does not have a fallen nature)
#2 Several times after the fall, God claims that man is still created in his image (In Adam's image Seth was born - which was God's image, he who kills will be killed for he is created in God's image - Gen 9:6)
#3 Noah was found to be a righteous man despite all others being wicked
#4 Lot was preserved from the destruction of Sodome due to his righteousness (Gen 19:29)
#5 Moses was said to be a friend to God, and no other was as meek as him (humble)
#6 David was a man after God's own heart.
#7 No one as righteous as my servant Job - Job 1:8
#8 Mosaic Law had capital punishment for certain crimes (you don't kill a lame man for not winning a race)
#9 Be holy, as I am Holy (naïve and futile commandment if this were impossible)
#10 One of the over-arching principles of the Bible is to be good (naïve and futile commandment if this were impossible)
#11 What were Adam & Eve before the fall (what caused them to defy God and sin)?

Don't forget Butterfly, when one laments about their wickedness, these are the sentiments of a righteous person. Depraved people do not recognize right from wrong, nor their own iniquity (Adulteress who wipes her mouth and says 'I've done no wrong' Prov 30:20)
i.e. a truly smart man will only tell you of how stupid that he is. Same with a righteous man, he will only state how wicked that he is. One cannot state that they are wicked, without their being goodness in them.
It is in this context that the Bible speaks of these things.

I

ieuan

Butterfly
It might help to consider the following.
Originally Calvin spoke of different levels of grace,
he spoke of a grace that was general, yet failed to save.
Later theologians after Calvin developed the doctrine of common grace
a bit further. Although man is totally depraved in his nature due to the fall
there is operating in the world a general grace (a grace common to all even the animal kingdom)
this grace from above balances out the totalness of depravity. Even ungenerate man sees the
beauty of creation and knows there is a creator. As animals often care for their young and will
even die for their young so it is that even the pagan will often love his children, this si the grace
of God operating in the fallen creation yet falling short of actually saving a man, special effectual
grace saves. That is the plouighed heart, where the seec an fall in and grow. The new heart,
the born again experience.

Rom 1:19
For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine
nature,
have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without
excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him,
but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…

This speaks of the savage knowing there is a God yet worshipping beasts and images.
They enjoy creation, understand it's beauty.

So depravity is balanced by grace

When God withdraws grace man is dissobetient, i.e. as was Pharoah, one minute agreeing
to follow God's instructions
then rebelling.

I

ieuan

Oh, please people don't bait. Calling someone rude is rude. :)

I

ieuan

DB7
Righteous does not mean perfect.
It means to be right with God.
David sinned as bad as any man.
Moses sinned and was punished.
Lot chose to live with a corrupt people and fornicated whilst drunk.
All the old saints sinned except Enoch and Elijah, both escaped physical death. :)

But because they worshipped God and loved His commandments they were made
righteous by faith in a Redeemer to come. :)

I

ieuan

Butterflyyy
You have said I am teaching heresy and called someone rude.
If you do this again I will have to report you. Post #9 and Post #20.

Please follow the rules and conventions of this forum, it is meant a pleasant discussion with friends.

We don't call anyone's views heretical or any person heretical.

I

ieuan

Butterflyy said:

"And we DO know that it is also written that Christ died for ALL and that WHOSOEVER believes
in the Lord Jesus Christ will not perish but have everlasting life."

I think it is important to qualify Bible statements. Christ died sufficient for all,
But Jesus' suffering cannot cure unbelief. If they die in their sin they go to hell.
If they die in unbelief, there cannot be any washing away of sin. It is faith that
saves, so if Jesus died to atone for their sin, they would be in heaven else
He died in vain. He died sufficient for all me, if they believe.

Apr 15, 2017
Calvinism does not teach that Christ died for ALL.
Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent.

Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

God wants all people to be repent, come to the knowledge of the truth, and be saved.

Some people have a faulty interpretation for the Bible.

When the Bible says the saints are predestined to salvation it does not mean God chooses who will be saved and not saved without their choice, but means God already had the plan of salvation to give mankind before He laid down the foundation of the world, so it is the same as if the saints already have that salvation for God calls things that have not happened yet, as though they already happened, for if it is a plan of God to happen in the future it is the same as if it happened in the beginning, for it will surely come to pass with no hindrance.

Like the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world, and the prophets blood shed from the foundation of the world.

And this salvation is to whoever wants it.

God is love, and His kingdom love, and He is not evil, so it goes against the nature of God for Him to choose without our choice in the matter.

If you program your computer to say I love you does your computer really love you, and if you program it to say I hate you will you get mad and smash it to pieces.

No person comes to the Son unless the Father draws them, and no person says Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost, and Peter said Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and Jesus said flesh and blood did not reveal that to him but the Father.

Many are called but few are chosen, which God does the calling and choosing on earth.

God chose us we did not choose Him, and when God calls a person He will work in their life to get them to the truth, and when they get to the door of truth they have to choose whether to go through it or not, but they would of not gotten to the door of truth if God did not intervene in their life.

Some people do not get to the door of truth, and some people get to the door of truth but do not go through it, which they have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, from such turn away, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth, and it points out their sins, which they are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God.

Which the Lord knows them that are His having this seal that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity, and awake to righteousness, and sin not, but some do not have the knowledge of God.

Which a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, for they have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts, and show the ways of the Spirit and not the flesh, and God will not allow them to be tempted above what they are able, and will give them an escape from the temptation so they can bear it.

So there is no excuse which not everyone that says Lord Lord will dwell with Jesus, for they did not do the will of the Father, and were workers of iniquity.

Many people who believe in Calvinism seem to have hypocrisy, and worldliness about them, and many say they cannot abstain from sin, and sin daily, and their sin does not affect their relationship with God, so they are holding unto sin.

The Bible says turn away from them.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Butterflyyy

Please follow the rules and conventions of this forum, it is meant a pleasant discussion with friends.

But someone was rude to me... should I report him?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Please will you or N6 explain specifically which points you disagree with? Many thanks
Let's take Article I and examine its wording closely:

Article 1
That God, by an eternal and unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ his Son, before the foundation of the world, hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ’s sake, and through Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his son Jesus...
1. There is no Scripture which says that God has DECREED salvation for anyone. So this part corresponds to Reformed Theology which teaches that God has decreed everything (good and evil) from the very beginning (which is not so), and he has decreed the salvation of the elect.

2. But this portion avoids the Calvinistic teaching that God decrees salvation only for the elect, and instead postulates that God decrees "to save" those "who shall believe on His Son Jesus..."

3. Had that been all that was said it would have been partially acceptable. But it does not stop there. It goes on to add "and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end". This is the Arminian idea that salvation also depends on the perseverance of those who are saved. But that is not what Scripture teaches. Eternal life is God's GIFT of grace to the one who repents and believes, and "the gifts and calling of God are without repentance (irrevocable). Which does not mean that believes are not appointed unto good works, but it does mean that they do not maintain their salvation through their perseverance.
...and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from Christ...
Now this is pure Reformed Theology, which postulates that God decrees the damnation of unbelievers. God decrees none for salvation or damnation, but instead offers salvation to "whosoever will" and indeed God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
...according to the word of the Gospel in John 3:36: “He that believeth
on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him,” and according to other passages of Scripture also.
This is a MISAPPLICATION of John 3:36, which teaches the exact opposite of what is being stated. John 3:36 must be taken in the context of John 3:14-36, where we see that while God offers salvation to all, only those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved. At the same time there is a dire warning that those who fail to obey the Gospel will face the wrath of God. But God does not decree wrath while offering salvation.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Butterfly
It might help to consider the following.
Originally Calvin spoke of different levels of grace,
he spoke of a grace that was general, yet failed to save.
Later theologians after Calvin developed the doctrine of common grace
a bit further. Although man is totally depraved in his nature due to the fall
there is operating in the world a general grace (a grace common to all even the animal kingdom)
this grace from above balances out the totalness of depravity. Even ungenerate man sees the
beauty of creation and knows there is a creator. As animals often care for their young and will
even die for their young so it is that even the pagan will often love his children, this si the grace
of God operating in the fallen creation yet falling short of actually saving a man, special effectual
grace saves. That is the plouighed heart, where the seec an fall in and grow. The new heart,
the born again experience.

Rom 1:19
For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine
nature,
have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without
excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him,
but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…

This speaks of the savage knowing there is a God yet worshipping beasts and images.
They enjoy creation, understand it's beauty.

So depravity is balanced by grace

When God withdraws grace man is dissobetient, i.e. as was Pharoah, one minute agreeing
to follow God's instructions
then rebelling.
Romans 1:21 illustrates man's will

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
But someone was rude to me... should I report him?
You call THAT rude? Wow! That was about as tame as I've seen. People ARE ALLOWED to disagree with you ya know.

Are you a milennial?

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Let's take Article I and examine its wording closely:

1. There is no Scripture which says that God has DECREED salvation for anyone. So this part corresponds to Reformed Theology which teaches that God has decreed everything (good and evil) from the very beginning (which is not so), and he has decreed the salvation of the elect.

2. But this portion avoids the Calvinistic teaching that God decrees salvation only for the elect, and instead postulates that God decrees "to save" those "who shall believe on His Son Jesus..."

3. Had that been all that was said it would have been partially acceptable. But it does not stop there. It goes on to add "and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end". This is the Arminian idea that salvation also depends on the perseverance of those who are saved. But that is not what Scripture teaches. Eternal life is God's GIFT of grace to the one who repents and believes, and "the gifts and calling of God are without repentance (irrevocable). Which does not mean that believes are not appointed unto good works, but it does mean that they do not maintain their salvation through their perseverance.
Now this is pure Reformed Theology, which postulates that God decrees the damnation of unbelievers. God decrees none for salvation or damnation, but instead offers salvation to "whosoever will" and indeed God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
This is a MISAPPLICATION of John 3:36, which teaches the exact opposite of what is being stated. John 3:36 must be taken in the context of John 3:14-36, where we see that while God offers salvation to all, only those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved. At the same time there is a dire warning that those who fail to obey the Gospel will face the wrath of God. But God does not decree wrath while offering salvation.
Thank you

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
You call THAT rude? Wow! That was about as tame as I've seen. People ARE ALLOWED to disagree with you ya know.

Are you a milennial?
No I am not .... and I have no problem disagreeing but if you take note of the way in which I was ridiculed and then threatened with being reported by another member on here then you will be able to make more sense of my comment which was merely an attempt to illustrate your point actually.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019

Are you a milennial?
And if I was a Millenial, theBible says , 'Let no-one despise your youth"
But FYI I am 47.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Butterflyyy

Threatening to report me for stating the fact that someone hasn't been rude to me is controlling behaviour.

Jul 9, 2017
And we DO know that it is also written that Christ died for ALL and that WHOSOEVER believes in the Lord Jesus Christ will not perish but have everlasting life.
As a Catholic Christian we are to believe in Him but we are also called to make our faith manifest by "working in love" as the Apostle Paul instructs(Gal. 5:4-6)
Blessings

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Butterflyyy

If someone seems to be teaching heresy am I not permitted to voice that opinion?
I never find discussions about Calvinism to be pleasant, they are not.