Flesh vs Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 12, 2016
Brother and Sisters,

Without the law there is no right or wrong. The law exists so that one may know how to please God and what is Good, only God, and evil. The Lord said, a day will come when you will neighter worship on this mountain or in Jerusalem (the temple). Because God is Spirit. Those who know Him will worship Him in Truth and in Spirit.

Flesh vs Spirit.

What can the body which is flesh be likened to then? When we feed the body it becomes relaxed. It becomes lethargic and sleeps because its needs are met. The person is not seeking or of want because they are full.

When the man awakens he, in the flesh, will have a hunger again and go about seeking to fill that hunger which is in the flesh.

Likewise, then what is the Body of Christ like? When we feed the Spirit and the Lord draws us deeper in Him where the flesh becomes weak. We too become lethargic, relaxed and of not want. This is where the struggle happens and why the Lord warns keep watch. As he ordered Moses to be dressed after eating the Passover with staff in hand and saddles on his feet. That which is used to guard the flock as a Shepard. Because we easily will slip into being in the flesh if we do not stand watch. Several of our brothers being brought into the Holy presence of God in the garden to pray. They too were full, in the flesh, and could not stay awake to feed the Spirit with prayer. They were in the comfortable place with God. Yet the Lord knew what was about to happened and asked them to watch and pray.

Yet we are in the flesh, so it will hunger, what you do when you hunger and what God helps you do is up to the wise. Why must we hunger? Because without food you cannot grow. You cannot sustain. Our flesh becomes stronger when we relax in God’s presence because we become lethargic.

Yet it is that very hunger which if the wise stand watch shall over come it. They will become stronger In the Spirit because they have not fed in the hunger of the flesh, but grown through denying the hunger of the flesh, and fed the Spirit and by His Word. Growing deeper in Him and His presence in you. Changing you and shaping you into the new wine-flask. This cannot be done by our own power or will, but by seeking God, and putting Him first in all things. Not because it is the law, or out of reluctant compliance as one that is a slave who does as he is told with only half effort. It is done out of love and whole heartedly with joy because their relationship is real and so is your love for Him. As one who is loved and is a friend.

Those who serve money cannot serve God. They will bend the truth to tickle ears. Because their flesh loves and yearns the things of this world rather than the will of God. They are compromised. Yet they wear the same label as others who do the will of God, so the name Christianity gets a black eye.

At the same time let not the truth come down as a sword. For you too are under the same laws and are just as filthy. It is only His mercy and presence that makes you well. Least you forget you too are a sinner under Grace and pride well up within you, as it has in many.

If then we are all sinners, you will do well to remember this. For those who separate themselves from others who are “sinners.” Show me where Christ, my Lord did that? Or was it the religious who did it? Just because you sit and talk with a sinner that doesn’t defile you. It is your heart and actions you take that do. Does a doctor not see a patient because they are sick. Showing compassion and mercy on all no matter their issue? Then be a wise doctor like the Christ. Just because you see a patient they don’t catch what they have. They wear garments and wash themselves to protect them. This is the Armor and Word of God. The Loed said, it is not what goes into a man that defiles him. It is what comes out of a man. The hunger will always be there. Feed from the good tree or the bad, that choice is yours.

This is the Way,
Love all serve all,
A brother in Christ

May 22, 2024
There's an old saying:-
Those who are most heavenly minded, are of most earthly use.

We don't need rituals or rites to worship God, we need minds that are concentrating on Jesus.Jesus said if you love me you will obey my commands.
Jesus commanded that we love others. How do we show that?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If then we are all sinners, you will do well to remember this. For those who separate themselves from others who are “sinners.” Show me where Christ, my Lord did that? Or was it the religious who did it? Just because you sit and talk with a sinner that doesn’t defile you.
No, merely sitting down and talking with "sinners" doesn't defile anyone; but what you talk about may very well defile you. If they start talking about impure things it could lead to impure thoughts and temptation. A new convert who has been a drug addict would not be advised to hang out with other addicts and talk about drugs; that's just asking for trouble. So I agree there's no need run from "sinners" for fear of being defiled, a certain amount of common sense and discretion should be exercised. Nothing wrong with that.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Jesus came to save sinners --who are Spiritually Lost ------He walked --talked ---sat with and ate with Sinners to get them to Repent of their sinful ways -----He didn't just go to sinners to associate with them and have fun and agree with or disagree with their actions ---Jesus never judged sinners --He came to get them to change their ways by Preaching the Gospel to them so the Right Faith was inbirthed in them so their--- minds ---hearts ----eyes and ears could be spiritually open to receive the message of the Gospel He was preaching --so they would have eternal life -----

We are to do the same ----we are to sit --walk --talk and eat with sinners to preach the gospel to them so they get Saving Faith inbirthed in them so they may come to realize they need a Saviour to Save them from eternal destruction in their end -----

It is not about sitting with sinners to be or not to be defiled by them ----It is all about saving them from their own eternal destruction by ---Preaching and Teaching them the Gospel Of Jesus Christ --and enjoying eternal Life ----

May 12, 2016
There's an old saying:-
Those who are most heavenly minded, are of most earthly use.

We don't need rituals or rites to worship God, we need minds that are concentrating on Jesus.Jesus said if you love me you will obey my commands.
Jesus commanded that we love others. How do we show that?
We show it by our love as you have said. By being there, for those who are in need. For those who are widowed. The poor, the blind, the deaf. All the people the Lord identified. Inside the body or out.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Without the law there is no right or wrong.
For sin was in the world before the law was given; but sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Romans 5:13

May 12, 2016
No, merely sitting down and talking with "sinners" doesn't defile anyone; but what you talk about may very well defile you. If they start talking about impure things it could lead to impure thoughts and temptation. A new convert who has been a drug addict would not be advised to hang out with other addicts and talk about drugs; that's just asking for trouble. So I agree there's no need run from "sinners" for fear of being defiled, a certain amount of common sense and discretion should be exercised. Nothing wrong with that.
I know what you are saying, but you can sit in a church and hear the same thing. Have the same temptations. Drugs are everywhere, sin is everywhere as is temptation. I would say the person should ensure they are deep in the Lord before they face their previous weakness. However, That’s also why Jesus sent the brothers out two by two. To help each other stay the course. To encourage each other. To rely on God, they took no money. Took no food, not even spare clothes. Their work’s pay was a place to sleep and food. They received freely, give freely. Also where two or more are gathered there He will be, that two witnesses account for every word.

No matter what, an addict will always have to fight that addiction. I’d doesn’t matter who it is. A hunger that cannot be removed without nearness to God to fill that void.

In fact a friend of mine he is finishing his classes for what is called a C card. Then he will peruse becoming a counselor.
His issue was drugs.

There is no greater witness to someone and their mind then someone who has struggled with those exact same sins. If you are saved and made new being pulled out of it. Your testimony and guidance is far greater than one who hasn’t. Example, if you were never a cop. How can you council a cop? If you have never walked the beat. Been there with the threat of life. Never having a good day. Always dealing with terrible situations. How can you grasp or help someone truly if you have not been in their shoes. When they are called it is already someone else’s bad day. To understand their thoughts, stories and struggles. Same for soldiers, that why soldiers talk to other soldiers. Unless you have done it, you just won’t get it.

If one is weak, they need to dive deeper in God because drugs isn’t the only sin. It is just the visible one, sometimes. Many “professionals” have drug problems and people hang out with them everyday and do not know. Finding drugs is easy, it doesn’t have to be a drug user. I bet there are pastors on this board that use them too.

What’s a drug? Is the drug itself a sin? If so, which one? What drug? Why? Then what of wine? Or is it the use and what it causes people to do that produces sin? What kind of sin?

Love a brother in a Christ

May 12, 2016
For sin was in the world before the law was given; but sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Romans 5:13
It is true!
Roman’s 3-28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

By faith you are saved and not under the law. However, it is also written For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: “Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” (Ephesians 5:8-14)

If there is no law, does that mean I can go and stop following the Ten Commandments, the morale law? I can steal? Lie? Kill? Bear false witness?

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Brother and Sisters,

Without the law there is no right or wrong. The law exists so that one may know how to please God and what is Good, only God, and evil.
This is not true. The law was given to prove our guilt, We would not know what sin was unless we had the law. the law excposes our sin. it does not tell us how to do good.

May 12, 2016
It is true!
Roman’s 3-28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

By faith you are saved and not under the law. However, it is also written For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: “Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” (Ephesians 5:8-14)

If there is no law, does that mean I can go and stop following the Ten Commandments, the morale law? I can steal? Lie? Kill? Bear false witness?[/QUOT

it is true, you are no longer under the law of condemnation and death. Because you are saved, that does not negate the law nor the call to be Holy, as your Father in Heaven is Holy. Half measures and heart are things of the Laodicean.

May 12, 2016
Please know bei
Please know brothers and sisters when I write or reply. It is not to condemn or judge. It is to share, teach and learn. For we are all equally stubborn stiff neck sinners. I write to speak to all, for the edification of the body.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
If there is no law, does that mean I can go and stop following the Ten Commandments, the morale law? I can steal? Lie? Kill? Bear false witness?
Please excuse me for asking, but what is the purpose of your hypothetical question above? I wonder because the law does exist... Though it is true that as Christians, we are no longer under it, for the purpose of the law was to act as a tutor to lead us to Christ. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Please excuse me for asking, but what is the purpose of your hypothetical question above? I wonder because the law does exist... Though it is true that as Christians, we are no longer under it, for the purpose of the law was to act as a tutor to lead us to Christ. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
People don’t get it. There is lawful, lawless, and then a third way: being led by the Spirit.

And you are so right, sis: the law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. Now we are in Christ and follow the Spirit of God.
When we hear people say “Well, now that I am in Christ I can follow the law much better!” That’s like saying “Now that I am an adult I will go back to my crib.” (Notwithstanding that we were never under the Law at Sinai to begin with.)

May 12, 2016
I w
The reason for the statement of questions was how do we live then? Should we keep the law? Which is the topic in a lot of churches. The ones written by God’s own hand and given to Moses. The Moral law, not the long Jewish religion list.

Once you are lead to Christ and the Father who is Holy. Then how are we instructed to live? How did brothers Peter and Paul both state you should live, though being under Grace? Can darkness and light exist in the same space? How can you tell who is saved and who is not?

Christ said what the two greatest commandments were, He said keep them! Those two are the 10 commandments rolled into two. Because if you love Him you will keep them. Not unto salvation or self righteousness, but unto sanctification out of love and respect for the one you claim to be the love of your life! This again, cannot be done in the flesh, but in the Spirit. Nor can you please God in your flesh or by it. Nor worship Him in your flesh. Absent of God you can do nothing, with God all things are possible.

That is why so many will hear I never knew you. They have head knowledge but their hearts are far from Him. They have never submitted to the Power and surrendered to Him as Lord. Jesus said, why do you call me Lord, and not do what I say?

I want to ensure brothers and sisters understand Jesus isn’t a fairy God mother come to give you a golden ticket to heaven so you can go back to your old ways and the world. What did Jesus tell some of those he healed? Now go, and sin all you want? I went through all of this and set you free, in me only, so you can just go back to living your life the way you want for you.

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before.

For those of hyper Grace that teach there is no law. Which Jesus said, I have not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it! Well then, in this instruction He gave I guess overcoming must be easy!! That you are not endanger of having your name blot out, right?

May 12, 2016
I w
The reason for the statement of questions was how do we live then? Should we keep the law? Which is the topic in a lot of churches. The ones written by God’s own hand and given to Moses. The Moral law, not the long Jewish religion list.

Once you are lead to Christ and the Father who is Holy. Then how are we instructed to live? How did brothers Peter and Paul both state you should live, though being under Grace? Can darkness and light exist in the same space? How can you tell who is saved and who is not?

Christ said what the two greatest commandments were, He said keep them! Those two are the 10 commandments rolled into two. Because if you love Him you will keep them. Not unto salvation or self righteousness, but unto sanctification out of love and respect for the one you claim to be the love of your life! This again, cannot be done in the flesh, but in the Spirit. Nor can you please God in your flesh or by it. Nor worship Him in your flesh. Absent of God you can do nothing, with God all things are possible.

That is why so many will hear I never knew you. They have head knowledge but their hearts are far from Him. They have never submitted to the Power and surrendered to Him as Lord. Jesus said, why do you call me Lord, and not do what I say?

I want to ensure brothers and sisters understand Jesus isn’t a fairy God mother come to give you a golden ticket to heaven so you can go back to your old ways and the world. What did Jesus tell some of those he healed? Now go, and sin all you want? I went through all of this and set you free, in me only, so you can just go back to living your life the way you want for you.

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before.

For those of hyper Grace that teach there is no law. Which Jesus said, I have not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it! Well then, in this instruction He gave I guess overcoming must be easy!! That you are not endanger of having your name blot out, right?

May 12, 2016
People don’t get it. There is lawful, lawless, and then a third way: being led by the Spirit.

And you are so right, sis: the law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. Now we are in Christ and follow the Spirit of God.
When we hear people say “Well, now that I am in Christ I can follow the law much better!” That’s like saying “Now that I am an adult I will go back to my crib.” (Notwithstanding that we were never under the Law at Sinai to begin with.)
No, it is not, Jesus said what the two greatest commandments were. If you truly loved your neighbor as yourself, would you violate any of the commandments in the 10 regarding your neighbor?

Likewise, if you Love God, as Jesus commands, would in you violate any of the 10 Commandments in regarding how you are to treat God the Father, and the Son?

May 12, 2016
That’s is good, How do you teach and preach to them? If a stranger comes to you and starts to talk to you about how bad your children are! What is your reaction? What if a loved one and a family member or friend approaches you in kindness and humility? Is your reaction different? Who will you listen to?

May 12, 2016
That’s is good, How do you teach and preach to them? If a stranger comes to you and starts to talk to you about how bad your children are! What is your reaction? What if a loved one and a family member or friend approaches you in kindness and humility? Is your reaction different? Who will you listen to?

May 12, 2016
Brothers and Sisters,

Understand this does not happen over night. I have been traveling a long time. A long distance. The Lord is merciful and long suffering. It is being said now because time is short. I am speaking plainly because it is time to gather both the good and bad. To show The Way!

After you are set free, if you go back to living in the world, continuing in sin. Then His love is not in you as written. You need to evaluate yourself.

Hyper Gace believes this, is that picking up the cross and following Him. Or is it throwing the cross down, spitting on it, stepping on it. With an Amen and thank you Jesus?

I am sending prayers with His word out to warn the teachers they will be accountable. That very soon His command will come and half measures and gentleness will give way to greater birth pangs. It is written the wise will understand and wash their robes. The evil will continue to do evil. This is echoed in the parables Christ gave about the separation of the sheep’s from the goats, the wheat from the chaff, the five brides maids, the wedding feats of the man without wedding clothes. Note: I tell you again, there is not second chance. When the doors shuts and the bride is separated safety in His barn. Then His wrath falls.

But in this life you will have tribulation, as the Lord said, and especially when they deliver the church up for tribulation as written in the gospels, as Revelation told you when the fifth seal runs until the Lord’s will is done and His saints testimonies are heard. That no one will have an excuse.

Love, a brother in Christ

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
No, it is not, Jesus said what the two greatest commandments were. If you truly loved your neighbor as yourself, would you violate any of the commandments in the 10 regarding your neighbor?

Likewise, if you Love God, as Jesus commands, would in you violate any of the 10 Commandments in regarding how you are to treat God the Father, and the Son?
No. Those were still in the old law.

It is helpful for us to compare between the old commandment and the new. The reference to a “new” commandment by implication implies that there was an “old” commandment. So what is the “old” commandment?

The “old” commandment is found in Matthew, chapter 22:34-36, “Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: ‘Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’”

Now, you’ll note that. Indeed, a lawyer, under the law could only ask Him a question about the law. He couldn’t ask Him about the new commandment; he was unaware of the new commandment. So the context of this question and the answer, both have to do with the law. What is the greatest commandment?

Matthew 22:37-40Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.’” (Inserted-Matthew 22:37-40)

His answer, summarized the teachings of the Law and the Prophets and in this, His answer is solidly to be found in the Law. This is the very thing that is to be replaced. But today most people think if you keep the 10 commandments and if you love your neighbor as yourself then you have done everything that God could have required. Now if you look at these two commandments you will immediately observe that they are foundationally different. Why? Because the standard is different.

In the first case the “new” commandment has this as the standard: “…as I have loved you, so you should love one another.” The “old” commandment has this: “With all of your capacity to love so you should love God and so you should love one another.” Well you will notice that the standard of the “old” commandment is, of course, appropriate for the Law because the Law can only require you to do as much as it is possible for you to do. Objectively and theoretically it is possible to keep the Law because it does not require any more than all that you are capable of doing. It doesn’t say, “All that you feel like doing,” nor does it say, “All that you want to do.” It says, “All that you are capable of doing.” So when the Law says, “Love the Lord your God with all of your heart...” all of your heart means all of the capacity that lies within you to do. All, in fact, means all. It doesn’t say, “All that you want to do, all that you feel like doing, all that on certain occasions you may be inclined to do.” No, it requires all. So in that sense, the Law and the standard of the Law is not haphazard but it does point out that it is all that is humanly possible. Furthermore, the Law was designed to keep the Jews alive. God could not ask a man to give up his own life under the Law. There was no promise of a new life in the Law. To ask a man to give up his life would be to make the Law unrighteous. A man cannot give up his own life and simultaneously keep his life.

The standard is appropriate for the Law because if the Law asks of anyone more than all then by the existence of the Law you’ve been made lawless. In other words: if it is all plus 10% then the Law makes you lawless because it has exceeded your capacity to respond. But the Law begins and ends with what you can do. And it has a lesser standard for loving your neighbor. Its objective standard regarding loving God is all that you are capable of doing. Its lesser standard in regards to loving your neighbor is, “…as you love yourself.” The presumption is that you love yourself pretty thoroughly. Now what if you didn’t love yourself? The Law simply requires you to love your neighbor in the same fashion, to the same extent.

What is the standard of the new and how is that different? The standard of the new is: “…as I have loved you.” Who is the “I” that is the measurement of this standard? The “I”, of course, is Christ, the one speaking. He is also the Living God. So the standard is: as Jesus has loved us so we are to love one another. Now what if you don’t love yourself? Well that is an irrelevant standard. He didn’t say, “as you love your neighbor, so you should love one another…” or “as I have occasionally loved you so you must love each other.” “As I have loved you” means “I, as God, have loved you perfectly; therefore I require you to love as God loves.” This is a fascinating standard because it’s the same standard for God as it is for man. The standard of love is the same for God as it is for man. That standard of the new commandment makes God and man equal on the matter of love. That’s an incredible observation. On the matter of love, God and man are equal.

Now don’t take my observation for that. Look at this: this is from Matthew5:48, Jesus is speaking. Now this verse of Scripture is very troubling. Matthew 5:48 says, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” What we’ve done is we’ve read that verse out of its context and we have inferred meanings to it that it does not mean. For example we’ve inferred that it means “be perfect in power” and so people come up with thoughts like, “if you’re not healed it’s your fault; you don’t have enough faith, you do not exercise enough power.” So if things go badly it’s your fault. God has given you all power, God has given you all faith, and so on, and if you do these things less than perfectly then it is your fault. Well that’s garbage because God would not require us to be perfect in power, whatever power we have is His power given to us, and no one is made "all powerful". Therefore we could only operate in whatever measures of power He has given us. This Scripture is not about being perfect in power; it’s about being perfect in love.

Note the context: jump back to verse 43 “‘You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies…” (so the context is love) “..and pray for those who persecute you…” Now why should you do that and how is this different? You must do that so that you can be sons of your Father in heaven, "..that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.” It means that just as natural children resemble their natural parents and the nature of natural children is like the nature of their natural parents, so the nature of the children of God is like the God Who is perfect in love. So it’s not surprising to us that the same standard would apply to God as would apply to us… in the matter of love. So that you will be as sons of your Father in heaven.

And then He gives us some examples of how he loves His enemies and does good for those who persecute Him. “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous…”. Then He contrasts and He says, “If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even the pagans do that?” In short, to be like your Father in heaven it means that you do not simply love your enemies as you love yourselves or you love your neighbor as yourself; it is that you would love your enemy by preferring them over your own life and in that sense, and within that context it says, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

The “old” commandment, under the Law, basically required you to love the extent of your capacity to love… love God as much as you are able and to love your neighbor as you are inclined to love yourself. That’s the “old” commandment. The “new” commandment says, “…as I have loved you.” And it establishes Christ as the standard for love. Christ being the Living God, the standard is the same for God as the standard is for man. Now the reason why the standard is the same is because, according to 2 Peter 1:4, the intent of God is that we be made to be partakers of the divine nature…"

“Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.” and "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His nature..."

The divine nature, the nature of God, is to love and to love perfectly; to love by preferring the life of another over your own life, to give up your life to God so that God would live through you. Now what’s left unanswered for us is: why? And furthermore, how does this prepare us to overcome the evil one?

Revelation 12:11 “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.”) In this respect we are meant to be exactly as God—perfect in love—the same standard that applies to God applies to us and this is the measure that displays the reality that we are partakers of the divine nature.

By this it is abundantly clear that the “new” covenant is not simply the “old” covenant rehashed. It has the elements of a totally different standard, the same standard for God and man.