Flesh vs Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If there is no law, does that mean I can go and stop following the Ten Commandments, the morale law? I can steal? Lie? Kill? Bear false witness?
I'm not sure where you're coming from on this so I won't presume to know. All I know is there seems to be a lot of confusion these days about what our relationship is to the law as Christians. In my opinion the simple answer to your question is no, we don't follow the Ten Commandments. The righteous requirement of the law--every bit of the law including the Ten Commandments--has already been fulfilled in us through Christ. "For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Romans 8:3-4

So we don't keep striving to obey the law, but walk in the Spirit of Christ. We don't strive to keep the law to win God's favor; He has already shown us favor so we walk in faith and love.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Holy means set apart. Perfect means complete unto yourself... mature in your faith so your reliance and trust is on/in God and nothing else. As Paul said, content in all circumstances. Jesus accepted Peter not responding to the agape command; He then substituted brotherly (phileo) love for Godly (agape) love.

May 12, 2016
This is not true. The law was given to prove our guilt, We would not know what sin was unless we had the law. the law excposes our sin. it does not tell us how to do good.
If this is wrong then how can you know what’s good? Unless you know what guilt and wrong is? If you know they are, is that for informational purposes only? What was the who reason for the shedding of blood and sacrifices then? Was that because they were living good? Isn’t it written the law is good?

May 12, 2016
Holy means set apart. Perfect means complete unto yourself... mature in your faith so your reliance and trust is on/in God and nothing else. As Paul said, content in all circumstances. Jesus accepted Peter not responding to the agape command; He then substituted brotherly (phileo) love for Godly (agape) love.
Well said sister, mature in your faith. That is the key. How do you mature? What motivates you to do so? Because you have to, or because you want to?

May 12, 2016
I'm not sure where you're coming from on this so I won't presume to know. All I know is there seems to be a lot of confusion these days about what our relationship is to the law as Christians. In my opinion the simple answer to your question is no, we don't follow the Ten Commandments. The righteous requirement of the law--every bit of the law including the Ten Commandments--has already been fulfilled in us through Christ. "For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Romans 8:3-4

So we don't keep striving to obey the law, but walk in the Spirit of Christ. We don't strive to keep the law to win God's favor; He has already shown us favor so we walk in faith and love.
Yes, which that itself is the struggle to strive to walk in the Spirit and stay awake. When we walk in the Spirit God’s perfect love flows through us and we then are able to love our God and our neighbor as instructed thereby keeping the law. But not by our power, might or wisdom but by being inside the Father and Son. It is their presence. Remember, we are in the flesh, so we must overcome, but not by my strength but He that is me. For in my weakness He shines forth.

May 12, 2016
Yes, which that itself is the struggle to strive to walk in the Spirit and stay awake. When we walk in the Spirit God’s perfect love flows through us and we then are able to love our God and our neighbor as instructed thereby keeping the law. But not by our power, might or wisdom but by being inside the Father and Son. It is their presence. Remember, we are in the flesh, so we must overcome, but not by my strength but He that is me. For in my weakness He shines forth.
Like that old country song goes the closer you get, the further I fall!! We will stumble and slip at times. Because of our flesh. The key is realize it, get back up, and learn the lesson. Sometimes we fall to teach us something. Or to wake us up from our lethargic appetite. We should remember we must continue to seek and learn of Him, by Him, for Him. To be a good servant unto Him.

May 12, 2016

“So we don't keep striving to obey the law, but walk in the Spirit of Christ. We don't strive to keep the law to win God's favor; He has already shown us favor so we walk in faith and love.” Yes!

May 12, 2016

By walking in the Spirit, God’s love flows. His perfect love by it we are able to keep the two greatest commandments. Remember love covers many sins. As is the two greatest commandments covers the moral 10.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Well said sister, mature in your faith. That is the key. How do you mature? What motivates you to do so? Because you have to, or because you want to?
It is God who works in me to will and to act on behalf of His good purpose.

May 12, 2016
Family,

The long journey I had to get here, I tell you all this not to discourage, but encourage you. I am trying to shine the light on my journey as something of not what to do, and lessons to give you the cheat codes, the short cut to The Way. The journey was not long because of the Father. It was because I am a stiffness stubborn prodigal son. I don’t want you to wonder in the desert in circles chasing your tail/ as I did. I want you to know God, truly know Him, seek Him. To look up and repent and seek His will, to drop the world and grab your cross. To learn how to walk in Him, with Him, by Him, for Him.

Things are not going to get easier. You must get close now! Repent of the world and resist your flesh. Seek the kingdom of heaven. If it is hard now, how much harder will it be to do so when the tribulation comes upon believers and non believers?

It has already begun, look at England, Europe, other nations. Where Christians are being arrested for preaching, sometimes just praying!! While other Brothers and Sisters have it even worse in other places even unto death. This is not to punish His children. It is to refine them like gold that they may wash their robes and their faith to produce the pure olive oil of the lamp stand. Which shines on the true bread and wine. Which you must eat His flesh and drink His blood to enter into the Holy of Holies, under the mercy seat in the Ark and the very presence of God.

Their testimony is a testament and condemnation to those who will not listen, repent, and attack His children, this testing and their actions will result in their condemnation and witness to the justification for His wrath. For they do not just attack those who He has sent, but by attacking them, they have become enemies with and attacked God himself who is in them.

Love all, serve all this is The Way

A brother in Christ

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
thereby keeping the law.
I agree except on this one point. This seems to be a sticking point for a lot of people. We're not required to keep the law; it has already been kept for us. We don't walk in love for God and our neighbor in order to keep the law; we do it out of faith in Christ and obedience to the Holy Spirit.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Brother and Sisters,

Without the law there is no right or wrong. The law exists so that one may know how to please God and what is Good, only God, and evil. The Lord said, a day will come when you will neighter worship on this mountain or in Jerusalem (the temple). Because God is Spirit. Those who know Him will worship Him in Truth and in Spirit.

Flesh vs Spirit.

What can the body which is flesh be likened to then? When we feed the body it becomes relaxed. It becomes lethargic and sleeps because its needs are met. The person is not seeking or of want because they are full.

When the man awakens he, in the flesh, will have a hunger again and go about seeking to fill that hunger which is in the flesh.

Likewise, then what is the Body of Christ like? When we feed the Spirit and the Lord draws us deeper in Him where the flesh becomes weak. We too become lethargic, relaxed and of not want. This is where the struggle happens and why the Lord warns keep watch. As he ordered Moses to be dressed after eating the Passover with staff in hand and saddles on his feet. That which is used to guard the flock as a Shepard. Because we easily will slip into being in the flesh if we do not stand watch. Several of our brothers being brought into the Holy presence of God in the garden to pray. They too were full, in the flesh, and could not stay awake to feed the Spirit with prayer. They were in the comfortable place with God. Yet the Lord knew what was about to happened and asked them to watch and pray.

Yet we are in the flesh, so it will hunger, what you do when you hunger and what God helps you do is up to the wise. Why must we hunger? Because without food you cannot grow. You cannot sustain. Our flesh becomes stronger when we relax in God’s presence because we become lethargic.

Yet it is that very hunger which if the wise stand watch shall over come it. They will become stronger In the Spirit because they have not fed in the hunger of the flesh, but grown through denying the hunger of the flesh, and fed the Spirit and by His Word. Growing deeper in Him and His presence in you. Changing you and shaping you into the new wine-flask. This cannot be done by our own power or will, but by seeking God, and putting Him first in all things. Not because it is the law, or out of reluctant compliance as one that is a slave who does as he is told with only half effort. It is done out of love and whole heartedly with joy because their relationship is real and so is your love for Him. As one who is loved and is a friend.

Those who serve money cannot serve God. They will bend the truth to tickle ears. Because their flesh loves and yearns the things of this world rather than the will of God. They are compromised. Yet they wear the same label as others who do the will of God, so the name Christianity gets a black eye.

At the same time let not the truth come down as a sword. For you too are under the same laws and are just as filthy. It is only His mercy and presence that makes you well. Least you forget you too are a sinner under Grace and pride well up within you, as it has in many.

If then we are all sinners, you will do well to remember this. For those who separate themselves from others who are “sinners.” Show me where Christ, my Lord did that? Or was it the religious who did it? Just because you sit and talk with a sinner that doesn’t defile you. It is your heart and actions you take that do. Does a doctor not see a patient because they are sick. Showing compassion and mercy on all no matter their issue? Then be a wise doctor like the Christ. Just because you see a patient they don’t catch what they have. They wear garments and wash themselves to protect them. This is the Armor and Word of God. The Loed said, it is not what goes into a man that defiles him. It is what comes out of a man. The hunger will always be there. Feed from the good tree or the bad, that choice is yours.

This is the Way,
Love all serve all,
A brother in Christ
Your first statement is wrong. Mankind has an inbuilt knowledge of right and wrong.

Romans 2:14-16
"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. So they show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts either accusing or defending them on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Christ Jesus, as proclaimed by my gospel."

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I agree except on this one point. This seems to be a sticking point for a lot of people. We're not required to keep the law; it has already been kept for us. We don't walk in love for God and our neighbor in order to keep the law; we do it out of faith in Christ and obedience to the Holy Spirit.
And because we actually love God and our neighbor, not because we have to keep the law.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
If this is wrong then how can you know what’s good? Unless you know what guilt and wrong is? If you know they are, is that for informational purposes only? What was the who reason for the shedding of blood and sacrifices then? Was that because they were living good? Isn’t it written the law is good?
Jesus tried to explain this in his sermon,

the law says...., But I tell you....

The law does not tell you every way in which is good. it tells you how to know if you have broken it or not. yet it does not even show every way in which it is broken..

I can keep the law. by not physically committing adultery. But if I look at a woman with lust. I am guilty. yet the law does not tell me this.

Jesus told us what is good. Love the lord Your god. and our neighbor.

Anything done that is not in love, or done to serve self is sin.

I do nto need a law to tell me that is what good is.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
By walking in the Spirit, God’s love flows. His perfect love by it we are able to keep the two greatest commandments. Remember love covers many sins. As is the two greatest commandments covers the moral 10.
Christ gave us greater commandments than those in the law.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Love sees no wrong... yet men direct us to keep notes on it.