Focusing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 9, 2014
First I am not sure if ths is the right form to post this in, but I think I have lost my focus on God. i was trying to get back into the habit of focusing on God, and my thoughts go to random stuff. I know God is speaking to me in a weird way through social media because on Instragram I always see videos of being patience. The other random thing is Tik-Tok and there was one that particullary stood out to me. In which the person in the Tik-Tok said they were pushing God away to focus on starting a relationship. Although, when they ended up focusing on God they ended up meeting the person that God had for in-store for me. I don't know how to focus, but I have done things where I would wake up an hour or two before work. Do medition, do a workout, and spend time with God. With spending time with God, I would pray for 20 minutes, listen to praise and worship music for 20 minutes, and read the bible for 20 minutes. If this isn't the right area to post this can a Mod move it to the right form. i am looking for advice on spending time with God.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Find ways to help people. That's the surest way to find God's heart.

Christians do what Christ did. What did Christ do? He helped everybody around him, if they would let him.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Not that I'm doing super well on this myself but a few thoughts:

1) keep a notepad handy when you're trying to focus.... use it to scribble down all those distracting thoughts so that you can deal with them later without worry of forgetting ( and if you need to just stop and remind yourself that you don't need to deal with that thing now, that is as long as it's not something like I think I smell smoke and the house is on fire, deal with the house on fire right away)

2) Don't measure your success by how much time you can devote to "spiritual" concerns, but by how much you can bring God into whatever is going on at the present moment (even if that's just a bit less anger and more compassion for a difficult co-worker or customer or remembering to thank God for the little things like pretty snowfall, sunsets, friends, etc)

3) If electronic stuff is being too much of a distraction, see if you can't figure out a way to apply parental controls or productivity apps or something similar to make is so they can't intrude on your time for God.

4) A little is better than none - so 10 min of bible and 10 min of prayer is better than just deciding you don't have time to do anything today because you can't fit a full hour of worship study and prayer in.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think you are on right track although in my experience I wasnt a stickler for time for example, sometimes it wouldnt be always daily time with God for 20 minutes sometimes it would be for several hours, and even an entire day.
AT night when I couldnt sleep for whatver reason, was the perfect time to spend with God.

Church and group prayer things also count as time spent with God except you are doing this with others its called fellowship. Here on this forum its fellowship. You are spending time with God in the company of other believers.

Dont let us distract you, rather, be encouraged. This is what we are here for.