Follow Jesus Christ But Not American Christianity?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 11, 2022
I go to a Baptist church, so I assume I am a Baptist Christian. I proclaimed Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior at a Baptist church. I just got done watching a cliff video and he said he follows Jesus Christ but not American Christianity. What does that mean? Also, what does I follow Jesus Christ but not religion mean?

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I go to a Baptist church, so I assume I am a Baptist Christian. I proclaimed Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior at a Baptist church. I just got done watching a cliff video and he said he follows Jesus Christ but not American Christianity. What does that mean? Also, what does I follow Jesus Christ but not religion mean?
I don't know what Cliff means.
Giving a blanket term like "American Christianity" is a bit of a broad stroke.

There are cultural differences between many of the independent Baptist churches in the southern states and northern. There are differences between baptists churches in the same town, sometimes major doctrinal differences. That's baptist, now we could look at Lutheran, Episcopalians, Roman Catholicism, United Churches of Christ, Many Pentecostal denominations and those are found in just about every country in the world to some extent.

I think we all should just be grateful for a good local church where they believe and actively share the Gospel < with others in the love of Christ. We are saved by the gospel rather than religion. Pure religion and undefiled is to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction and keep ourselves unspotted by the world. That's a good work that Churches should do, but not what God requires for salvation, friend. James 1:27

God's word has influences on everyone in all parts of the world. It's our job to believe and obey it. 📖🙂👍

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It may be a reference to how many American churches are missing the mark in what it should mean to be a church. Also many choose to become ministers because it's a steady job, not because they believe in what they're saying.
As well there are many mega churches and TV preachers in it for the money. Big money.
But not all are like this. So it's an unfair statement to be so broad about it.
Also it's not just in America that churches are misguided. I heard of a church in England that had someone do lip syncing to an inappropriate secular song, as well as the girl dressing to fit it. This was done during a Sunday morning service.
There are fakes and phonies world wide. But America is big and well known. So it makes an easy target.

Follow Jesus not religion means to not focus on man made religious rules. Or those that use religion as a weapon against others. The pharisees in the bible are a perfect example of this. They were religious, they did not teach a relationship with God, but to follow rules. This is why they had Jesus crucified, he stood against their religious behavior, both in word and action.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Cliff is awesome, and I know his presentation well. What he means is he follows the teachings of Jesus, not any "Christian institution teachings", or "Pop Christianity". We can go to church and do everything they suggest, and never open a bible to see what Jesus says and teaches. What Cliff is saying is that he reads and works through these things and doesn't just blindly trust whatever the "church leaders" teach.

Aug 27, 2024
Arizona
I read your question and like you, I attend a Baptist church. If anyone asked me what I belong to, I probably would say, "I belong and follow Jesus. " I read the Bible and believe what His (Jesus) Word means and not a specific church doctrine. I think that's what your video meant.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
American Christianity means you go to church on Sunday, but then drink and sin the rest of the days. You only look out for yourself and don't do anything with the Bible/God outside of church. You live for yourself being "independent" which is very American. I have lost family members bc they watch them and say they're hypocrites bc they normally see them at the bar.

I follow Jesus, not religion. Think of religion as politics, very corrupt and full of lies. Even the Bible itself is not about religion. It contains religion. The Bible is a book about "the kingdom of God." We are to learn how to navigate the kingdom of God, in the present.

For me I grew up in church, in an American Christian family. There was adultery and abuse included. We never read the Bible as a family and rarely prayed (except in distress). I was never taught biblical principles, except the 10 commandments obviously. I could watch, do, dress, and even date anyone I wanted. I made ALOT of mistakes simply from ignorance bc of it. I will say I taught myself to pray and did every night my entire childhood. But my grandfather actually introduced me to God, even though I went to church. He told me about God while we were looking at the stars outside. I did not get saved in church initially. I think that's why I'm not into American Christianity.

I should add I do enjoy church and I worship God during it. I agree with most points the pastor makes, but I will say that their view of God is not the same as mine at times. Probably the thing that irritates me the most is that wealth is taught as evil and Jesus as poor. The Bible completely contradicts that with almost every prophet in the old testament, history (kings were/are always rich!), and even saying Jesus was rich, yet for our sake became poor. The church constantly tries to lie around it. "Oh they mean in heaven." Clearly there's a spiritual and earthly meaning too or they would have called him out on it! The other thing that bothers me is they have no problem agreeing with that lie, but they will never address the Marxist issues with our country and transgenders/ changing children even. They can be very politically correct bc they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so they dance around the issue. And I get not wanting to step on anyone's toes, but people need to hear the truth. And if I'm being fully honest I don't even think most pastors understand what is going on in our country.

From a saving point of view, I'm not sure there's a difference. In other words I still believe American Christians are saved. But they struggle more in this life bc either their view of God is off or their morals are off. Both of these go against the kingdom of God.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
American Christianity means you go to church on Sunday, but then drink and sin the rest of the days. You only look out for yourself and don't do anything with the Bible/God outside of church. You live for yourself being "independent" which is very American. I have lost family members bc they watch them and say they're hypocrites bc they normally see them at the bar.

I follow Jesus, not religion. Think of religion as politics, very corrupt and full of lies. Even the Bible itself is not about religion. It contains religion. The Bible is a book about "the kingdom of God." We are to learn how to navigate the kingdom of God, in the present.

For me I grew up in church, in an American Christian family. There was adultery and abuse included. We never read the Bible as a family and rarely prayed (except in distress). I was never taught biblical principles, except the 10 commandments obviously. I could watch, do, dress, and even date anyone I wanted. I made ALOT of mistakes simply from ignorance bc of it. I will say I taught myself to pray and did every night my entire childhood. But my grandfather actually introduced me to God, even though I went to church. He told me about God while we were looking at the stars outside. I did not get saved in church initially. I think that's why I'm not into American Christianity.

I should add I do enjoy church and I worship God during it. I agree with most points the pastor makes, but I will say that their view of God is not the same as mine at times. Probably the thing that irritates me the most is that wealth is taught as evil and Jesus as poor. The Bible completely contradicts that with almost every prophet in the old testament, history (kings were/are always rich!), and even saying Jesus was rich, yet for our sake became poor. The church constantly tries to lie around it. "Oh they mean in heaven." Clearly there's a spiritual and earthly meaning too or they would have called him out on it! The other thing that bothers me is they have no problem agreeing with that lie, but they will never address the Marxist issues with our country and transgenders/ changing children even. They can be very politically correct bc they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so they dance around the issue. And I get not wanting to step on anyone's toes, but people need to hear the truth. And if I'm being fully honest I don't even think most pastors understand what is going on in our country.

From a saving point of view, I'm not sure there's a difference. In other words I still believe American Christians are saved. But they struggle more in this life bc either their view of God is off or their morals are off. Both of these go against the kingdom of God.
Good old 'health & wealth' gospel. Truley American!