Food stamps and being poor

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Just because someone has professionally manicured nails, or a Louis Vuitton purse, doesn't mean they're rich.. Maybe they do their own nails, and found the LV at a yard sale or in a free pile or even given to them..
Of course it doesn't mean they are "rich"..... (define THAT for me, please).... but they are definitely spending money for expensively manicured nails and a very expensive purse that COULD have been used for food..... you know... providing for their family before enjoying luxuries?

"I'm so poor, I cannot afford groceries, but I CAN afford to get my nails done, get a facial, buy expensive purses and the latest/greatest I-phone".... I mean, come on..... let's be realistic here.

Nobody begrudges a person getting food "allotments" , call it whatever is in vogue, if they need them. But, spending all your money on lottery tickets, beer, luxuries, and THEN complaining because you have no money for food?

I guess that my seeing that as being wrong makes me a heartless person....:rolleyes:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
hmmm yeah I thought a little on that idea but well this a more "serious" conversation,Willie had that kind of humor and it was rather "unfruitful" I'm a joker too but there has to be a time to be serious especially when someone's looking for a "serious answer".
Did you actually read all of my post?

I was actually agreeing with him. I used sarcasm to make my point. Did you miss that? Did you also miss that I DID give a "serious answer" ? Why is that type of humor "unfruitful" in your opinion?

SMH.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Like I said, maybe they do their own nails at home. I do, every now and then. You'd never know I did it myself..And like I said, a Louis Vuitton may not have been purchased by them. It may have been a gift or something.. ANY HOO....

Just because a person looks like they're well off financially, doesn't always mean that they are...

Of course it doesn't mean they are "rich"..... (define THAT for me, please).... but they are definitely spending money for expensively manicured nails and a very expensive purse that COULD have been used for food..... you know... providing for their family before enjoying luxuries?

"I'm so poor, I cannot afford groceries, but I CAN afford to get my nails done, get a facial, buy expensive purses and the latest/greatest I-phone".... I mean, come on..... let's be realistic here.

Nobody begrudges a person getting food "allotments" , call it whatever is in vogue, if they need them. But, spending all your money on lottery tickets, beer, luxuries, and THEN complaining because you have no money for food?

I guess that my seeing that as being wrong makes me a heartless person....:rolleyes:

Feb 28, 2016
we don't know about you all, but it seems to us that Jesus favored the 'poor', those that
were humble and were seeking a 'better way'...

J

joefizz

Did you actually read all of my post?

I was actually agreeing with him. I used sarcasm to make my point. Did you miss that? Did you also miss that I DID give a "serious answer" ? Why is that type of humor "unfruitful" in your opinion?

SMH.
do you have questions?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
do you have questions?
????? I'm sorry, I'm not following your line of thought here... Do I have questions about what, specifically?

I was simply replying to your accusation that I did not read the original post, and then trying to take me to task for not giving a "serious" answer..... of which, I did both.

We can simply drop it, if you wish...

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Like I said, maybe they do their own nails at home. I do, every now and then. You'd never know I did it myself..And like I said, a Louis Vuitton may not have been purchased by them. It may have been a gift or something.. ANY HOO....

Just because a person looks like they're well off financially, doesn't always mean that they are...
No, ma'am, it does not mean that. I agree with you. And that was the point I was trying to make.... that if a person is not all that well off, they should not be spending what little money they have on "luxury" items, or junk food, etc....then want the government to provide them with all their necessities after their money has been blown.

My wife and I are not "wealthy". However, we COULD afford to drive new Escalades or Town Cars, if we were willing to not buy food, or not pay our mortgage and utilities. If we had a drop in income, we would have to downsize our living arrangement, and be a lot more frugal with where out money went.

People need to make good decisions about where their money is spent. If you have a choice of buying food for your kids, or getting a facial and your nails done, then you should buy food, and do without the luxuries. As the OP stated, throwing a Super-Bowl party with a basket full of junk food, paid for by other people is not a good use of the "food assistance" program. There are too many people who genuinely NEED that assistance to be throwing it away on leeches.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't really understand why people buy, what they could do at home. Like nails, for instance. It takes 5 minutes to get a bottle of polish, sit down and do my nails. Or coffee.. People pay $8 or whatever at DD or Starbucks for a cuppa coffee, when they could brew a cup at home and bring it with them.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I don't really understand why people buy, what they could do at home. Like nails, for instance. It takes 5 minutes to get a bottle of polish, sit down and do my nails. Or coffee.. People pay $8 or whatever at DD or Starbucks for a cuppa coffee, when they could brew a cup at home and bring it with them.
This is what they pay for..... nail polish just isn't cool enough, I guess.....

sculpted.jpg

I always feel a little trashy when I have to go in a Starbucks... I order a plain black coffee.... and the coffee in a 7-11 is just as good, if not better, and way cheaper.

Dec 16, 2012
Two ladies in line in front of us had a cart full of chips, dip, frozen pizza, frozen wings, sodas, etc. Over $200 worth. They were talking about the super bowl party they were having Sunday PM. Was shocked and angry when they paid for all this party goods with food stamps.

I can see why you'd be sickened at such immorality and the corresponding disgusting lifestyle, it spells of so much that is wrong with society today. I don't know that the government is going to do much to intervene, it's truly on the individual themselves to live with integrity, seeking to contribute and give back to the world in productive way.

Shc

Jul 12, 2017
I am all for helping people in need who cannot help themselves.

Saturday before the super bowl, my wife and I were in Walmart to pick up a few things.
Two ladies in line in front of us had a cart full of chips, dip, frozen pizza, frozen wings, sodas, etc. Over $200 worth.
They were talking about the super bowl party they were having Sunday PM. Was shocked and angry when they paid for all this party goods with food stamps.
Why is this allowed?

What constitutes being poor and in need today?

Please don't worry about it. You never really know their situation. Please don't measure what is in their cart.
Food stamp is a great program for the poor and needy. A good majority of the recepients are the poor and needy.
No system is perfect just as the world is not perfect. If someone abuses the system, God knows and he will judge them according to his will. We don't need to worry about it.

"As you did it to one of these, the least of my brethren, you did it to me" (Mt 25:40). "The measure you give will be the measure you get" (Mt 7:2). It corresponds to the mercy which God has shown us: "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you . . . For the measure you give will be the measure you get back" (Lk 6:36-38).

D

Depleted

They CANNOT still sell them for cash. The card they're given is basically a regular debit card, but specifically for food.. They can't sell the card.
Actually you can, at some stores. Not that it's legal, but the store owners like the "exchange rate." The food stampers buys $10 worth of food, but the store owner turns it into a $50 receipt. The food stamper gets $20 cash, and Welfare reimburse the owner for all $50.

Sort of like the chip in credit/debt cards. We didn't even get the chipped card before criminals figured out how to beat that system too.

A

Ariel82

I do think food stamps should be like WIC and only healthy food should be allowed to be bought...no junk food, soda or cigarettes.,,,fresh fruit, vegetables, etc.

Since the food vouchers for WIC only allow milk,juice, eggs, etc..., it should be fesible to do it for food stamps too.

The first year I was married my husband made $1000 a month and we had our son, we were on WIC until he graduated and got a job. God carried us through with the help and blessing of others.

So I do support government assistance but believe there should be a way to cut down on corruption.

A

Ariel82

Also with WIC you had to take parenting classes once a month....I wonder do people with food stamps have to get "job resume or how to get and keep a job" classes?

Maybe how to save money? How to balance a check book? How to get out of debt? How credit cards can be a trap? Substance abuse prevention?

Just curious.

Feb 28, 2016
when Jesus calls, no matter where you are in your life, whether rich, poor, or in-between,
if you Love Him, you will accept the changes that He has placed upon your heart...,
and willingly learn to live the 'new life' that He has called you to..,

M

Miri

Hi I’m not sure if it’s the same in America, but over this side of the
pond, the unhealthy stuff tends to be the cheapest to buy.

Fruit, veg etc and real meat, joints, steaks, (rather than burgers, sausages etc)
fish are definately more expensive.

Maybe they have a big family and can’t afford the more healthier stuff.
Whenever I go on a diet or healthy eating stint, our food shopping bill shoots up
by a good £20 extra a week.

Or maybe their food party was the first one they have had in ages and it was a
one off treat for the family and kids.

Even poor people need to have unhealthy treats and parties once in a while.
It’s called having a normal life.

I dont think we can judge without knowing the family and their full
circumstances.

M

Miri

Oh and sometimes having a food party every so often, just compensates for
the fact they can’t afford holidays or other more expensive luxury’s.

M

Miri

This is what they pay for..... nail polish just isn't cool enough, I guess.....

View attachment 178904

I always feel a little trashy when I have to go in a Starbucks... I order a plain black coffee.... and the coffee in a 7-11 is just as good, if not better, and way cheaper.
Yeah..but..but how do you pick your nose with nails that long. :D

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I am all for helping people in need who cannot help themselves.

Saturday before the super bowl, my wife and I were in Walmart to pick up a few things.
Two ladies in line in front of us had a cart full of chips, dip, frozen pizza, frozen wings, sodas, etc. Over $200 worth.
They were talking about the super bowl party they were having Sunday PM. Was shocked and angry when they paid for all this party goods with food stamps.
Why is this allowed?

What constitutes being poor and in need today?
Did it ever occur to you that the two ladies you were angry with can't help themselves either?
Or maybe that they put aside food stamps over a period of time for the Superbowl, maybe they spent the rest on good stuff.

Maybe you should ask God to replace your shock and anger with love and compassion.
Did it ever occur to you to pray for them (not in Walmart unless God asks you to offer to pray)