Bowharp...who came up with Bowharp. I like it.
Word etymology is enlightening. Enjoy study of words.
In So Cal a couple of years back a term coined by one man to explain the traffic nightmare that was expected to occur on freeway during highway crossover replacement. The word: Carmageddon!.
Our lanes on freeway for 2 or more passengers were at one time called Carpool Lanes. Someone from the South or back East moved in, got hired on as freeway dictator and he or she changed Carpool Lane to HOV: High Occupancy Vehicle lane.
Friend-zone! I ain't walking through there. Sounds strange.
The media parrots words and phrases. Here's one I hate: At the end of the day. Political babble as well, at the end of the day, it is.
The school is in Lockdown. Lockdown? A school in lockdown! All that means is: The school has no armed security, no armed staff, but there's an armed lunatic on campus. Help!
It's not Illegal immigration: It's Undocumented immigrants. Bah! That's liberal. Yes, that includes the media.
Several years ago Absolutely was used by everyone and anyone on TV. All it meant when used was Yes. But that's too simple. Ab so lute ly - 4 syllables. Yes - 1 syllable. I prefer Yes, absolutely I do.
Schools in So Cal have Smoke Free Zones. You can be fined if you smoke a cigarette on campus or within a certain number of feet of a school. First, there's nothing smoke free zone in So California. That's right, the eco green cars and inventions haven't changed the color of our smog. It's still grey and thick. Ok. So smoke free zone simply means: No Smoking. Do not smoke here. Use your brain, kids are close by, No smoking.
But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it's got to be so friendly Smoke Free Zone. I know this, the Smoke Free Zone ain't a Friend-Zone. Not for smokers. For them it's an Angry-Zone.
The better the word, the more chance of it becoming popular. Right word by right person used at right time has a good chance of a long life. Media, politicians, and even kids are part of coining new words.
Hey, here's one: Wordpop. I just made that up. Wordpop. A word that becomes popular.