Friends

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I recall one of my uni hostel mates dubbed herself 'Fibi' after the character. She was blonde too. I cant even remember her real name now.

I would have been the Julie character of course. Dang if it hd been all different, Ross could have stayed with Julie, and Rachel would have gotten over it. She could have gone with that guy who played the president of the I hate Rachel Club, it was so obvious he was in love with Rachel! He was probably a beard for Gunther.

Then Monica and Chandler would have a normal relationship without Rachel getting in the way as potential sister in law. (worming her way into the Gellers lives again) and Joey and Phoebe would have had a chance. They could have been parents to the chick and the duck. wHy not lol.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
well if you a Friends fan anything would have been good to see them all together in one room again.
Perry didnt out right say he was drinking, but he did admit to getting anxiety. He felt the need to be perfect and wisecrack his way in all situations...a lot of the lines he delivered were ones He had personally adlibbed. He was the only Friend who was allowed some say in the script, or at least, his own lines.
That put a lot of stress on himself. I dont think he implied that it pushed him to drink though obviosly there would have been other issues that made him an addict not just being on the show - all the other friends coped fine and didnt go off the rails or on the wagon. But there was nothing they could really do to stop Perry from drinking.

I cant really pinpoint when the show jumped the shark..most people say near the end when Rachel got paired up with Joey and Joey couldnt speak French. But there were some episodes that were like really you are kidding me. lol

But then its comedy its not meant to be taken seriously
One of my favorite scenes of the series was when Joey told Rachel he loved her at the restaurant. I think that scene, her reaction to the news, was Jennifer Aniston funniest moment, and when she finally reached the top of her comedic talent. So, of course I don't associate that marker as Jumping the Shark; but I certainly mark Monica and Chand getting married the Shark Jump, eventhough those events may have close together.

At the beginning of the show, I think (using their character names) Phebe and Chandlier were the funniest actors, with Joey a little behind. And Rachel, Monica and Ross were far behind. Part of that is the actor's talent, and partly the writing.

Very quickly Joey/Matt LeBlanc became a fantastic comedic actor in the series, nailing the character and was excellent throughout.

Midway through the series Monica/Courtney Cox found some sharpness that was effective for her character, which was a bit of a Straight-man character. Ross/Schwimmer also slowly matured into a very nuanced and funny Ross character, a step funnier than Cox. Unfortunately for Schwimer, he got stuck the horrible monkey, his-son and Julie plots, which by-in-large were unfunny material.

Rachel/Aniston was surely the least funny actor and character at the start, but in the late-middle-to-the-end of the series she really became a fine character/comedic actor, giving-up trying to be a sex symbol.

Despite having the least screentime and character development, Phebe/Lisa Kudrow was funniest and steadiest actor throughout.

Chandlier/Perry was one of the least funny actors at the end, unfortunately coupled with Monica/Cox, who was the weakest comedy actor of the group, in their boring marriage.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
One of my favorite scenes of the series was when Joey told Rachel he loved her at the restaurant. I think that scene, her reaction to the news, was Jennifer Aniston funniest moment, and when she finally reached the top of her comedic talent. So, of course I don't associate that marker as Jumping the Shark; but I certainly mark Monica and Chand getting married the Shark Jump, eventhough those events may have close together.

At the beginning of the show, I think (using their character names) Phebe and Chandlier were the funniest actors, with Joey a little behind. And Rachel, Monica and Ross were far behind. Part of that is the actor's talent, and partly the writing.

Very quickly Joey/Matt LeBlanc became a fantastic comedic actor in the series, nailing the character and was excellent throughout.

Midway through the series Monica/Courtney Cox found some sharpness that was effective for her character, which was a bit of a Straight-man character. Ross/Schwimmer also slowly matured into a very nuanced and funny Ross character, a step funnier than Cox. Unfortunately for Schwimer, he got stuck the horrible monkey, his-son and Julie plots, which by-in-large were unfunny material.

Rachel/Aniston was surely the least funny actor and character at the start, but in the late-middle-to-the-end of the series she really became a fine character/comedic actor, giving-up trying to be a sex symbol.

Despite having the least screentime and character development, Phebe/Lisa Kudrow was funniest and steadiest actor throughout.

Chandlier/Perry was one of the least funny actors at the end, unfortunately coupled with Monica/Cox, who was the weakest comedy actor of the group, in their boring marriage.
hmm I think Chandler tried too hard, but they were going to make him the gay character. However he was perfect foil for Joey.

Chandler and Monica are both obssessives, so, maybe they were best suited to each other.

I didnt like Ross all that much, he could be sweet but he was also the boring one.
Phoebe was always brilliant if ditsy. Rachel as you can tell I wasnt a fan but she had her moments.

My favourite was when she and Joey swapped books.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Can you imagine if the series had continued and it focused on Monica and Chandlers marriage, twins and neighbour Janice in the upscale home they bought in Westchester.

How would that have even worked. What did they name their babies again? I dont know if anybody would have watched it, though Joey had his own spin off series.

Julie ought to have come back. realised Russ was a clone, and sent on another dig with Russ to Olduvai Gorge where they discovered the fossilised skeletons of six homo sapiens who all lived in the same village and drank coffee together.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have an old couch in the library I have been told to move...arrgh

I want it to stay until it collapses but the teachers dont really want the children to make any friends.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have turned the library into a yum cha restaurant and hidden the ugly couch away.
The children sit at tables chatting till I come round with books on a trolley

They already started reserving tables. I have made it so there are 3 to a table.
I figured 6 friends might be too much.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
oh no the children have turned the library into an exclusive club in which to disinvite their friends. I am now employed as a bouncer to say others cant come in while they hog the tables

I got rid of one couch and the other I banned children from lounging on it and covered it with a whiteboard.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
But on the other hand 4 other girls want me to be their friend and parent helper when they go on their year 6 camp

I am sure they just want to ride in my car

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I taking my neighbour friend with me to the camp
I dont really want to drive all that way there alone

Plus one of my friends actually went missing there when she got stranded so..I have to be careful.

In the friends tv show, Rachel was an awful driver. Phoebe was the one with the taxi cab. Im not sure how she got one maybe you can rent one to drive in NYC. She also has the 'relaxi taxi'

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
I taking my neighbour friend with me to the camp
I dont really want to drive all that way there alone

Plus one of my friends actually went missing there when she got stranded so..I have to be careful.

In the friends tv show, Rachel was an awful driver. Phoebe was the one with the taxi cab. Im not sure how she got one maybe you can rent one to drive in NYC. She also has the 'relaxi taxi'
Yep, Phebe drove a taxi for a while. Usually, she was a masseuse. I don't remember if they said in the episodes, but likely was hired by a cab company to drive a taxi, so she'd be provided one. But you can buy a taxi and be self employed. Buying a taxi is not much more expensive than a regular car. But you have to buy a license and insurance.

Funny Rachel can't drive a car well, but she can teach Joey how to sail a boat. hmmm....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yea there were some things about Rachel I didnt get, like why she quit her job at Central Perk and then still hung out there drinking coffee all the time.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
they didnt have uber back in the 90s...

It did show the subway though where Phoebe got stalked. She got mugged once, but otherwise most peeps on show were well off and never really showed the gritty side of NYC. Even though Phoebes backstory was tragic, she still married a rich toff trust fund type.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Monica went out with a millionaire who bought her her own restaurant and went on a date with her to Italy just because he could.

None of the Friends was really that destitute, you couldnt really believe Phoebe was having a hard time with all the fancy outfits she was wearing.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I read Mathew Perrys memoir and it seemed like in real life, he didnt actually have that many friends.

His 'friend' seemed to be drugs and alcohol...

He blames his parents of course, they abandoned him, well his dad did at 9 months old, and then when he was 14-15 he left his mum in Canada to live with his dad in LA (both by that time married to other partners) and became an actor cos his dad had connections...he was the 'old spice' guy in the ads.

Other than that I felt his memoir was quite addled with all the drugs, alcohol and chasing fame that he wasnt thinking straight. And he did date Julia Roberts, but unlike the friends episode where she steals his pants, it just seemed he didnt do anything FUNNY on his dates.

But he was Chandler after all, making jokes about everyone else rather than poke fun at himself. To deflect attention I suppose, but at least hes honest, Lisa Kudrow says so. Dont ask me how Matt is...hes written it all in his book pretty much.

One thing I dont get is how parents would feed their baby drugs to stop them crying cos thats what the doctor tells them to, then every acts all surprised that their baby grows up addicted to those drugs.

Its like did you know what Judy Garlands mum did to her daughter? She thought drugs were her medicine. Her doctors were her dealers!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I really had to skim the memoir as it got a bit boring he kept rehashing his abandonment issues every chapter.

For Matt he didnt even acknowledge that maybe the Friends tv show had kept him alive, once the show ended, he had nothing to do, so he spent his days playing video games and continued drinking/drugging. Every once in a while he pulled a 'geographic' i,e moved to a new place, bought a house with a view just because he can - he was paid $1 million dollar PER episode, and there were about 230 episodes of Friends so they were making staggering amounts of money.

Apparently fame was going to fill his giant hole in his heart but it didnt really. But what can I say to Matt. You need God. You came close with AA with a spiritual encounter but God wont stays with you unless you acknowledge and believe in His son. Because Jesus DID go through all that pain and suffering and died for you...and CAN lead you out of temptation and keep you from evil.

Pray for him anyway, Matt had this Job like experience where his health and wealth was all but taken away (rehab is expensive) but his spiritual redemption is a bit shaky. If nobody else can save Matt, Jesus can.

Matt wrote that God could do anything with him(he made a bargain with God) if he made him famous, well it seemed like a Faustian pact to me.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like I wanna read Jennifer Annistons mums memoir now. Apparently she wrote one and Jennifer hated it because she was doing what a lot of mums do, trying to trade off her daughters fame/success.

I dont know if any of the other Friends really have it in them to write a memoir, after all they are actors not really writers, but the actual writers who WROTE the Friends scripts probably have a lot of stories to tell about the making of Friends.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
friends: "Family Rightously Interested Every New Day Servantly"!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
was thinking of Chandler/Matt Perry

You know how theres always a class clown? Hes like that guy. I went on the course that says the causes of all those 'complex' behaviours has almost always been neglect from age 0-3 when a baby is growing. Not just abuse or trauma but neglect.

Babies need a relationship with at least ONE caring adult during that critical stage in their lives when they are helpless and cannot do anything for themselves. Very hard to do if one parent just abandons them and leaves the other to cope all on their own, and they have to earn to survive on top of that. This is why we are seeing so many children exhibit 'complex' behaviours.

Also the practice of drugging your baby so they wont cry has to stop.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I moved the couches in the library so they are next to each other.

I have four of them and I have created two 'friend zones' but I noticed girls go on two of them and boys go on the other two. They dont mix.

I think I need to bring in a love seat, but the children still want bean bags.

I dont know if any of them had ever watched Friends. I think young people these days watch things like Squid Games and Korean soap operas.