Friendships with People with Opposite Political Views

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I have to say. That, you want to acknowledge that people HAVE been hurt and excluded in the past and there has been discrimination.
Life ain't fair. So what? If we want to talk about reparations, every nation in the world will demand reparations for past grievances. And let's not forget the tribal hatreds and animosities in every land.

May 12, 2016
Thank you for that, it is a sad history which is true, even today the political agenda does not seem to lend voice to us. Most of us are wiser about race yet, how wise?

I am just asking our brothers and sisters to remember and set aside their faith in man. Account for who their faith is in? We sometimes blindly follow in democrat or republican parties and politicians , not that they shouldn’t vote for the lesser evil or not stand against it but, where their identity and faith should be is as a Christian first. Not in things of man, Knowing God and trusting he is in control, because He is. Not to fret but have true peace because no matter what, His will shall come to pass; to which I say Amen.

B

Blackpowderduelist

There was a time when we could discuss our different political views in a friendly and cordial way.
There has been so much name calling, fake news, and blaming others, ( its not my fault) that it has become impossible.
I believe it is only going to get worse.:cry:
No there wasn't, where do you think the old axiom don't talk religion or politics in polite company comes from. It has always been this way. When I was a child in the early 80s living in rural no where there were neighbors that were enemies because politics. I remember thinking how crazy it was. When Regan ran for president we had a mock election in class (elementary school) and there were kids who stopped being my friend because I voted for Regan. The democrat party was founded upon hate and has been full of hate ever since. You just can't be friends with hate.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Thank you for that, it is a sad history which is true, even today the political agenda does not seem to lend voice to us. Most of us are wiser about race yet, how wise?

I am just asking our brothers and sisters to remember and set aside their faith in man. Account for who their faith is in? We sometimes blindly follow in democrat or republican parties and politicians , not that they shouldn’t vote for the lesser evil or not stand against it but, where their identity and faith should be is as a Christian first. Not in things of man, Knowing God and trusting he is in control, because He is. Not to fret but have true peace because no matter what, His will shall come to pass; to which I say Amen.
I say this nearly weekly. It's a president not God, next election it will be another man, also not God. Go vote. Vote your conscience. But our faith is not in man nor the institutions of men. Our faith is in God, pray for your brothers and sisters in Christ, for the church as a community, your community of neighbors, and pray that the wickedness of Government leader don't touch us and our home. That as it is written in the Psalms that the scepter of wickedness does not rest on the lands alloted to the righteous. As I pray, that wicked rulers don't touch the community of believers.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ive been to Northern Ireland where its divided by poltics and religion, really sad. Theres an entire street where catholics go one one side, and protestants the other, and they were using rubber bullets and sniping each other, and theres barbed wire everywhere....and they cant even talk to each other, (even though they can speak the same langauge) and its not really racism because they could be of the same culture and colour!

lost_at

Feb 15, 2021
well i like the idea of thinking out side of box and keeping an open mind for new ideas. I think you should not be 100% attached to your ideas because you might be wrong. being friends with different types of people can help one to be familiar with different ideas

0WL

How do you have meaningful conversations and bond with people with opposite political views? Do you try to avoid people altogether with opposite political views? Sometimes, we do not have a choice with whom we interact (such as boss, pastor, neighbor, in-laws, etc.). I do not avoid people with different views, but now I am wondering if it is even worth the hassle to bond with such people (since they probably disagree with your views and so do not like you anyway)? The best solution is probably avoid some topics, but you really cannot bond with people if you cannot talk openly. I am facing some challenges with communicating with my pastor. We have communicated by email but I have avoided talking on the phone (which I believe is obvious to her now). We got along really well but then she became a bit political. It would be impossible to have a phone call and completely avoid political issues. What am I supposed to say, if she says that there is so much systemic racial injustice in our country. Personally, I believe there is some racism in our country but not so much so where it stops someone from accomplishing his/her goals? However, my pastor may take my views personally (she is African American).

I would like input from both sides. Please, no comments about female pastors.
I find American politics very bemusing. It comes down to, can you put yourself in their life and listen. Truly Listening is the hardest skill.

0WL

Ive been to Northern Ireland where its divided by poltics and religion, really sad. Theres an entire street where catholics go one one side, and protestants the other, and they were using rubber bullets and sniping each other, and theres barbed wire everywhere....and they cant even talk to each other, (even though they can speak the same langauge) and its not really racism because they could be of the same culture and colour!
That was many years ago.
The “troubles” in Ireland were due to many factors and none were colour, creed or family. A line was draw on the split U.K. vs Eire, on Catholic vs Protestant. Thankfully that is no longer the case and kindness won in the end.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
How do you have meaningful conversations and bond with people with opposite political views? Do you try to avoid people altogether with opposite political views? Sometimes, we do not have a choice with whom we interact (such as boss, pastor, neighbor, in-laws, etc.). I do not avoid people with different views, but now I am wondering if it is even worth the hassle to bond with such people (since they probably disagree with your views and so do not like you anyway)? The best solution is probably avoid some topics, but you really cannot bond with people if you cannot talk openly. I am facing some challenges with communicating with my pastor. We have communicated by email but I have avoided talking on the phone (which I believe is obvious to her now). We got along really well but then she became a bit political. It would be impossible to have a phone call and completely avoid political issues. What am I supposed to say, if she says that there is so much systemic racial injustice in our country. Personally, I believe there is some racism in our country but not so much so where it stops someone from accomplishing his/her goals? However, my pastor may take my views personally (she is African American).

We have democrats in our church with differing political views obviously. Some are extremely nice and do some really noble causes. I would say to just guard your heart. But then all people are like this if we're completely honest.

As far as your pastor, why do you want to be taught by someone who lacks understanding. Being a pastor is extremely difficult and most fail. The fact that your pastor is successful at it and still complaining that she can't do something bc of race is alarming to me. Then again I know someone who had stillborn twins with funerals and still believes abortion is okay.

Personally I want a pastor that is a role model and knowledgeable in every way. Doesn't mean agreeing on literally everything, but the main ones yes.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I find American politics very bemusing. It comes down to, can you put yourself in their life and listen. Truly Listening is the hardest skill.
Unfortunately extremist views are becoming more and more common in the US. Which leaves less room for listening and more of an eye for an eye. Or "us vs them" mentality.
For example you have those that will attack others for not wearing masks, and on the other hand you have anti maskers who will cough in other people's faces.

S

Scribe

This attempt to shift the mission from preaching Jesus to politics, vaccine conspiracy theories, or any conspiracy theories as somehow "what the Spirit" is saying is demonic deception and should be avoided.

Change the subject, learn how to be good at changing the subject. You can do that by asking them questions that make them feel like you want their opinion about something.

Specifically I ask questions things like "what do you think would be a good prayer schedule for me to follow if I am trying to make a daily prayer time?" They like that you are asking them for advice and they usually have an opinion about it that they want to share.

This will work with any questions you ask, but I use the prayer question as a n example because it can go from their opinion about a good time of day to set aside for prayer to the importance of prayer in general and discussion about the transformation of the heart through prayer etc.. The atmosphere changes and the peace of such a conversation is in such contrast to the angst associated with the conspiracy theory conversations that they will not want to go back to it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
That was many years ago.

The “troubles” in Ireland were due to many factors and none were colour, creed or family. A line was draw on the split U.K. vs Eire, on Catholic vs Protestant. Thankfully that is no longer the case and kindness won in the end.
hooray there is hope yet!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i think with the racism that affecting your pastor, it may not be obvious to you what shes been through to overcome it. Also it might not even be herself shes thinking of, but her family members who may be struggling.

Just listen, It can be kinda offputting for people to hear that since youve not experienced it, but people that are born rich and priveliged often dont even know how lucky they are, since they have no scars to show for it.

Dont try and argue something shes been through that youve not experienced. It would be like, maybe someone suffering an illness and you trying to say its not that bad. But how would you know if youve never suffered it?!

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I was happily married to someone who did not think as I do either politically or in regards to the Lord. We were never bored with each other, it was always interesting to hear another side to an issue, although after many years we agreed about the Lord.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
For all my life, I have not agreed with all of any one person's points of view -- not from my earliest memories, which begin when I was about 2.5 years old. However, that does not mean that I can't get along with others. I am clearly very opinionated about certain things and see no reason to change my mind about them, although my first husband changed my mind about a very important family issue. I still retain his opinion and strongly possess it as my own, even through my second marriage, which is nearly 34 years.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have a lot of lefty friends on FB. For the 2016 election, it got very stressed. (I am not American, but it seems like that is all people want to talk about when an election is close!)

I think I unfollowed a few people, then followed them once the election was over and they had settled down.

This American election (2020), I had a lot of people unfollowed. I have one Christian friend in a group of lefties, and I tried to support her. These people were hammering her. Esp with all the nonsense about Trump inciting a riot. I watched his speech from start to finish, and he was very clear about being peaceful and going home. I'm also convinced Antifa etc was behind the incitement.

Anyway, I put these people on 30 day unfollow. When that was over, and the election, I realized what horrid people they were. I'm talking about filthy language, constant attacks on Christians, and out right Satanism.

I got caught up with being witnesses to them. But I had no impact on these ungodly people. I prayed a lot, and finally I gave up on them. I put them on unfollow, and if they pop up again with their horrible attitudes, it is unfriend and ban time.

I can't even discuss Canadian politics with my sister any more. She just screams and attacks me personally, says I don't use critical thinking or good sources. She doesn't discuss the argument. For example, Trudeau is the worst Prime Minister Canada has ever had. I give her 20 things he would be impeached in the US for, and any other PM would have been ousted for, and she will say she doesn't believe me. If I send her links, the sources I give are "rags!" Then she sends me some CBC or other lefty publication, that are totally biased, and worship Trudeau and says I need to read this stuff. Why? So I can be brainwashed by Trudeau's bought and paid for media? Last year there were several big stories about his wrong doing & it was American right wing media that released the story, and most of the MSM in Canada never even reported it.

I could rant forever! I've also examined my heart and actions. Maybe I am at fault or aggravating people. But it comes back to politics. The right wing gets blasted, and the left tries to make itself look good, with no facts or even ethical principles.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont feel that FB is any place to air political views, whether you hate the govt or are a huge fan of it.
Because there will always be people who dont share your views, and they dont really want it cluttering up their newsfeed, which is mostly for family stuff or cat pictures or what they had last night for dinner.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I've got friends who have different political views than my. Some the same, some different. We have discussions, the key is not to let the discussions turn into heated arguments. If you feel a conversation is going the wrong way you have to options carry on and make it worse or just stop being apart of the conversation. If your among friends you should be able to something like 'Ok, lets just leave it there -or lets stop this conversation before we say something we regret.

If you have a friend who you know will go into a rage :eek::oops: , then just refuse to talk politics with them.

Politics is always gonna be a bit of a tight rope conversation with those whom we disagree with (vice versa).

There's no easy answer only you know what your friends are like. I would only say try and be the one who doesn't get angry and stop before you do.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You cannot do anything about politics anyway unless YOU go to your local politician and talk to them or write to them to get things changed. Rather than talk about it to someone else and complain, you go to them directly. Most MPs will have an email or number you can call, thats their job, to listen to you, their constituent.
They do not have to be the person YOU elected, if they currently are your local MP or mayor or whatever and you live in their electoral boundary, they are your representstive.

Politicans are public servants. They are in that position to serve you.