Friendships with People with Opposite Political Views

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 9, 2020
As for my statement, I was referring to fellow Christians, in how we can have differing views and opinions and still be of One mind with God.
Raney,

Many of our "fellow Christians" fly a blasphemous rainbow flag at their churches.
Bethany "Christian Services" sells children to known perverts.

We are not "of One mind with God" no matter how much you try to pretend.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Raney,

Many of our "fellow Christians" fly a blasphemous rainbow flag at their churches.

A sister in Christ, and good friend of mine is quitting Bethany for this very reason.

She has also alerted people she recruited to donate as to what is going on.

Jul 9, 2020
A sister in Christ, and good friend of mine is quitting Bethany for this very reason.

She has also alerted people she recruited to donate as to what is going on.
Good for her! I'm proud of her. And inspired!

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
How do you have meaningful conversations and bond with people with opposite political views? Do you try to avoid people altogether with opposite political views? Sometimes, we do not have a choice with whom we interact (such as boss, pastor, neighbor, in-laws, etc.). I do not avoid people with different views, but now I am wondering if it is even worth the hassle to bond with such people (since they probably disagree with your views and so do not like you anyway)? The best solution is probably avoid some topics, but you really cannot bond with people if you cannot talk openly. I am facing some challenges with communicating with my pastor. We have communicated by email but I have avoided talking on the phone (which I believe is obvious to her now). We got along really well but then she became a bit political. It would be impossible to have a phone call and completely avoid political issues. What am I supposed to say, if she says that there is so much systemic racial injustice in our country. Personally, I believe there is some racism in our country but not so much so where it stops someone from accomplishing his/her goals? However, my pastor may take my views personally (she is African American).

I would like input from both sides. Please, no comments about female pastors.
As long as it is just a friendship in the workplace, neighborhood, etc. I would say just avoid issues you know are going to cause friction. You will not typically convince anyone to change their views through arguing about it. Of course, such a relationship is probably not going to be very deep.

In the case of other believers and especially those in authority such as your pastor, you have an obligation to confront them (respectfully and lovingly) if they are buying into and promoting ideas which are blatantly opposed to the Gospel such as critical race theory. Ask them how the Bible supports their views. Ask for concrete evidence of the abuses they claim exist. Ask them how their views would solve the problem.

Of course, not all disagreements about politics or ideas rise to the level of being opposed to the Gospel so you must also use your discretion and not take offense just because you disagree with someone's view.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
good points

not sure what 'critical race theory' is though. I heard the 'bell curve' thing was to do with race, and was it Hitler who tried to justify his 'ethnic cleansing' or 'final solution' was somehow christian or biblical.
Thats when you need to say um no. You have got to be kidding.

if things start going in that direction and your pastor then starts expressing stuff like assasinating leaders, well that is not the way to do things either. Wasnt it Dietrich Bonhoeffer who was plotting to kill Hitler, he was a pastor, but he didnt end up doing so...he was executed instead. Thats the nazi version of history...but its likely Bonehoeffer was NOT thinking or plotting anything against Hitler. He was resisting but not out to kill Hitler like he was accused of doing so.

It would have been uncrhistian do something like that, but say if he actually was plotting to kill someone and authority got wind of it, they (govt) would have possibly rightly thought he was a threat and felt justified to take him out.

Recall that Jesus was not actually the political maverick that some people thought he was either. He wasnt going to bring down fire upon his enemies. He said to love them. Pharisees still wanted to kill him though.

Mar 1, 2021
Raney,

This is disturbing

L

Live4Him

How do you have meaningful conversations and bond with people with opposite political views? Do you try to avoid people altogether with opposite political views? Sometimes, we do not have a choice with whom we interact (such as boss, pastor, neighbor, in-laws, etc.). I do not avoid people with different views, but now I am wondering if it is even worth the hassle to bond with such people (since they probably disagree with your views and so do not like you anyway)? The best solution is probably avoid some topics, but you really cannot bond with people if you cannot talk openly. I am facing some challenges with communicating with my pastor. We have communicated by email but I have avoided talking on the phone (which I believe is obvious to her now). We got along really well but then she became a bit political. It would be impossible to have a phone call and completely avoid political issues. What am I supposed to say, if she says that there is so much systemic racial injustice in our country. Personally, I believe there is some racism in our country but not so much so where it stops someone from accomplishing his/her goals? However, my pastor may take my views personally (she is African American).

I would like input from both sides. Please, no comments about female pastors.
Alrighty then.

I'm going to tell you how I deal with the situation that you described, but you'd better believe in the resurrection of the dead before you apply my approach to your own life because people will get so mad at you if you do that they literally might consider killing you.

First of all, "racism", in my opinion, is both spiritually and scientifically STUPID!

Spiritually speaking, there's really only one "race", the human race (we all descended from Adam), and what truly matters is whether or not we've been reconciled back unto God through Christ.

Scientifically speaking, our skin color is merely a reflection of how much melanin we possess, and melanin affects our hair and eye color as well.

Should we start hating people based upon their eye color or their hair color?

Seriously, IT'S INSANELY STUPID!

That said, I'm a "white" man who was married to a "black" Latina from Panama for 18 years, and we had three "mixed" (we're all "mixed" if we go back in our ancestry far enough) children.

As you might imagine, this whole topic of "race" comes up frequently.

What I personally do, as a Christian, whenever the topic of "racism" comes up, I immediately interject that there is really only one race, the human race, and then I also mention the whole melanin thing.

I also mention how the Bible says that Christ "hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation" (Rev. 5:9), and that "the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart" (I Sam. 16:7).

Of course, nobody wants to hear any of that, and, within a matter of minutes (or seconds), I'm called a "racist" or something else.

In response, I tell them that they are an antichrist, in the sense that Christ couldn't care less about our skin color, and then they go berserk and storm off...and the topic of "race" normally never comes up again.

Like I said, you'd better think twice before possibly trying a similar approach, but it not only shuts these people up, but also gives God the opportunity to give the increase to what you've said to them.

Jul 9, 2020
What I personally do, as a Christian, whenever the topic of "racism" comes up, I immediately interject that there is really only one race, the human race, and then I also mention the whole melanin thing.
Race is real and it's a whole lot more than skin color. No amount of self delusion is going to change that reality. The Bible talks about various races. So do NBA team rosters. So do intelligence studies. So do FBI crime statistics. Where do people even come up with this "one race" claptrap? It's completely absurd. It's just cultural marxism. People like you say stuff like this because they WANT to believe it. But that has zero bearing on what is actually true.

If you're white and you think race isn't real, then just go to your nearest metropolitan area, find the MLK boulevard, wait until dark, then walk around awhile. Enjoy some interaction with the locals. Then come back and tell us all about how there's only the human race. LOL! Better yet, go to prison as a white person and test your "one race" theory. Buddy up with the brothers there. I'm sure you'll be accepted! Hahaha! You're going to get yourself beaten for your mistake. Nothing like a little bloodshed to correct a person of his mistaken notions about such matters.

I used to think race didn't matter. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. Man, oh man, was I wrong!!!

L

Live4Him

Race is real and it's a whole lot more than skin color. No amount of self delusion is going to change that reality. The Bible talks about various races. So do NBA team rosters. So do intelligence studies. So do FBI crime statistics. Where do people even come up with this "one race" claptrap? It's completely absurd. It's just cultural marxism. People like you say stuff like this because they WANT to believe it. But that has zero bearing on what is actually true.

If you're white and you think race isn't real, then just go to your nearest metropolitan area, find the MLK boulevard, wait until dark, then walk around awhile. Enjoy some interaction with the locals. Then come back and tell us all about how there's only the human race. LOL! Better yet, go to prison as a white person and test your "one race" theory. Buddy up with the brothers there. I'm sure you'll be accepted! Hahaha! You're going to get yourself beaten for your mistake. Nothing like a little bloodshed to correct a person of his mistaken notions about such matters.

I used to think race didn't matter. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. Man, oh man, was I wrong!!!
It's not my mistake.

Instead, it's the ignorance of others.

Like you, for example.

Mar 1, 2021
I feel like racism is encouraged today by people who claim to fight it. Everyone has to be labeled by their color first. I don't remember this from my childhood or earlier before the 2010s. I don't think this is what MLK wanted either.

It is even the same with gender. As a white woman I feel like modern feminists want me to identify as a woman first and that is supposed to dictate my politics. "Female" is not a political party.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
this is why nobody likes those forms that say 'what ethnicity are you' that the govt always tries to get people to fill out on the census or whatver poll they are trying to do.

Because every single one of us is a mixture of our mother and father and they could be totally different so how would you choose one over the other? Id just put both.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
this is why nobody likes those forms that say 'what ethnicity are you' that the govt always tries to get people to fill out on the census or whatver poll they are trying to do.

Because every single one of us is a mixture of our mother and father and they could be totally different so how would you choose one over the other? Id just put both.
I just check other, and fill in "American".

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
when voting I'd just tick all the boxes...everyone can be in govt and they can sort it out.
or not vote cos you cant decide.

I think Jesus got very tired of everyone trying to make out like he was political and wanting to be king of Israel when that kingdom was divided. Who would have thought that He wanted to include all of humanity in His kingdom.

M

MoonCresta

I feel like racism is encouraged today by people who claim to fight it. Everyone has to be labeled by their color first. I don't remember this from my childhood or earlier before the 2010s. I don't think this is what MLK wanted either.

It is even the same with gender. As a white woman I feel like modern feminists want me to identify as a woman first and that is supposed to dictate my politics. "Female" is not a political party.

You're right. I have no idea why people would want to be pigeon-holed into a group. I would never want that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
there is neither greek nor jew male or female, slave or free for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

this was Paul writing to the Galatians thousands of years ago when racism and politics reared its ugly head.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
There was a time when we could discuss our different political views in a friendly and cordial way.
There has been so much name calling, fake news, and blaming others, ( its not my fault) that it has become impossible.
I believe it is only going to get worse.:cry:
sad but true

I don't discuss politics with friends. We bond over other things such as our faith (if they Christian ) or shared hobbies

Reformed1689

Jun 1, 2018
You're right. I have no idea why people would want to be pigeon-holed into a group. I would never want that.
It's a form of manipulation. Identity is real of course. We are men and women, and these come with real differences. We are white and black and red and yellow. Those too come with real differences beyond culture. I listened to Voddie Bauchaum speak at G3 in Atlanta a couple years ago and he spoke about how Christians are grafted into the tree and become part of the tribe of Israel. He then used that to conclude, that his chief identity isn't with the tribe associated with his skin color, but with the tree that he was adopted into with his brothers and sisters.

Identity politics is used to divide and conquer people. The anti-natalists tell women that men are bad, and they tell men that women are bad. They want us to fight and distrust each other. They want to destroy the family. Race is used to create strife to destroy the country, and so we will be looking at each other's skin color instead of paying witness to the wickedness perpetrated against this land by those who create strife.