Furtick Cultic Coloring Book: Elevation Church's Cult Like Coloring Book

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Elevation Church, pastored by Steven Furtick is being criticized for what appears to be a cult like coloring book handed out to children. Links to sources at the bottom.

In this image from the coloring book, children color Pastor Steven Furtick under a heading which says..

"We are united under the visionary"
"Elevation church is built on the vision God gave pastor Steven. We will protect our unity in supporting his vision"

Fears of these images being cult like are due to a greater context of concern.

Several bloggers are also sharing this info-graphic produced by Elevation Church that includes the following statements:
1. We serve a Lead Pastor who seeks and hears from God.
3. We serve a Lead Pastor we can trust.
7. We serve a Lead Pastor who pours into us spiritually and professionally.

16. We serve a Lead Pastor who goes first.

Source 1

Source 2

Last edited:

1still_waters

There is a fine line between biblical unity, and glazed eyed cult mentality.

Some critiquing the devotion to his vision, belong to churches that are just as dedicated to man made historical creeds and doctrinal statements.

Chris Rosebrough, one of my favorite podcasters rips on Furtick, and on the church growth/seeker sensitive movements. Yet Rosebrough attends an LCMS church, which is just as dedicated to the Book of Concord. If you don't agree to that vision, they get as "cultish" as those who may disagree with vision casting megachurch pastors.

Regardless, bloggers and writers are pointing out some valid concerns of Furtick's methods.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
This is just disturbing. I think a good rule of thumb to being able to discern a cultic movement/idea/thought is when a human being gets glorified instead of God.

When a human being is the centre of attention or the ultimate be-all, then it's time to put on your running shoes.

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
Yup!!!!! Just left a church I sat in for two months for similar. I knew something was not right. But when I or someone spoke against some of the 'abundant sermons' he also posted things like "Someone is coming against my destiny" and on Facebook and Twitter he would mention HIS vision. He also tweets psychological theories about 'the destiny', etc. Next thing I know he is having Preachers of LA come to speak, and someone from Osteen's network showed up praising the pastor how great he is. I was so outta there!!!!

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
When he was on the rise years ago, his eyes seemed weird. I saw one of my high school friends talking him up like he was God. Yikes!!! This confirms my suspicions.

1still_waters

Yup!!!!! Just left a church I sat in for two months for similar. I knew something was not right. But when I or someone spoke against some of the 'abundant sermons' he also posted things like "Someone is coming against my destiny" and on Facebook and Twitter he would mention HIS vision. He also tweets psychological theories about 'the destiny', etc. Next thing I know he is having Preachers of LA come to speak, and someone from Osteen's network showed up praising the pastor how great he is. I was so outta there!!!!
Kinda like............
business.jpg

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
At least the kid scribbled on that nonsense. That's just creepy!

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
Check out the second rolling picture. Look at all the people praising him. He's a rising Spanish preacher, and when he was in Peru, everyone in Peru was reaching for his hand. hmmmm.

Sergio De La Mora

Aug 15, 2009
Annnnnd, WHY would these guys come & praise a guy they hardly know? Because someone at the top of the religious system told them to! Birds of a universal feather flock together, ya know. ;)

Aug 15, 2009
If Osteen's fixers are pumping him up, run. He's joined something bigger than a church organization. :rolleyes:

D

Donkeyfish07

For those of you who have read any articles about the "Emergent Church" Phenomenon (I think that's what it's called, we have so many labels in Christianity I could be mistaken) that emphasize personal experience......it's because of the cult like tendencies and false teachers of the Church. The way I think they look at it, they choose to emphasize seeking God themselves and try to deepen the connection with him personally......rather than rely on some televangelist that has "visions" and rallying behind a man.

I don't know who is or who is not "legit" as far as well known pastors go, but I think the Emergent Church thing is an interesting counter point to the televangelist side of things.

T

Tintin

There is a fine line between biblical unity, and glazed eyed cult mentality.

Some critiquing the devotion to his vision, belong to churches that are just as dedicated to man made historical creeds and doctrinal statements.

Chris Rosebrough, one of my favorite podcasters rips on Furtick, and on the church growth/seeker sensitive movements. Yet Rosebrough attends an LCMS church, which is just as dedicated to the Book of Concord. If you don't agree to that vision, they get as "cultish" as those who may disagree with vision casting megachurch pastors.

Regardless, bloggers and writers are pointing out some valid concerns of Furtick's methods.
I think Martin Luther would be disgusted that some are placing his Book of Concord on the same level as the Holy Bible. Admittedly it's a good book, but it's written by a fallible man.

Jan 12, 2014
Chris Rosebrough, one of my favorite podcasters rips on Furtick, and on the church growth/seeker sensitive movements. Yet Rosebrough attends an LCMS church, which is just as dedicated to the Book of Concord.

If you don't agree to that vision, they get as "cultish" as those who may disagree with vision casting megachurch pastors.
You know that is not true.
LCMS are not required to adhere to anything more than Luther's small catechism.
Anyone who can't agree with Luther's small catechism is questionable re: their understanding of Law/gospel and salvation.
The Book of Concord is an historical collection of creeds. Not required, not leading to cultish denominationaism.

If you don't think the church needs Biblical (summary) creeds, maybe you are not really examining the total departure from the simple declarations of scripture you are posting about:

Apostles' Creed
1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:
4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
5. The third day he rose again from the dead:
6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:
9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:
10. The forgiveness of sins:
1l. The resurrection of the body:
12. And the life everlasting. Amen.

you know this is not true:

which is just as dedicated to the Book of Concord.
If you don't agree to that vision, they get as "cultish" as those who may disagree with vision casting megachurch pastors.

but you are entitled to your peculiar brand of Christianity.

1still_waters

Anyone who can't agree with Luther's small catechism is questionable re: their understanding of Law/gospel and salvation.
So if you don't believe baptism saves, and don't believe in infant baptismal regeneration, you're questionable and don't understand salvation?

This is from the Luther small catechism.

What is Baptism?--Answer.
Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God's command and connected with God's Word.​
Which is that word of God?--Answer.​
Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Matthew: Go ye into all the world and teach all nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.​
Secondly.
What does Baptism give or profit?--Answer.
It works forgiveness of sins, delivers from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare.
Which are such words and promises of God? Answer.​
Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Mark: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
The Small Catechism - Book of Concord

85%+ of Christendom must be very questionable.

1still_waters

The Book of Concord is an historical collection of creeds. Not required, not leading to cultish denominationaism.

I stand corrected on adherence to the Book of Concord.
Regardless, there is a cult like aspect to the Smaller Catechism.
As I pointed out, one must believe baptism saves according the the smaller catechism.

According to the smaller catechism, one must also believe that in confession and absolution you receive forgiveness from the pastor(confessor).

V. ConfessionHow Christians should be taught to confess.
What is Confession?*​
Confession embraces two parts: the one is, that we confess our sins; the other, that we receive absolution, or forgiveness, from the confessor, as from God Himself, and in no wise doubt, but firmly believe, that our sins are thereby forgiven before God in heaven.​
What sins should we confess?
Before God we should plead guilty of all sins, even of those which we do not know, as we do in the Lord's Prayer. But before the confessor we should confess those sins alone which we know and feel in our hearts.​
Which are these?
Here consider your station according to the Ten Commandments, whether you are a father, mother, son, daughter, master, mistress, a man-servant or maid-servant; whether you have been disobedient, unfaithful, slothful; whether you have grieved any one by words or deeds; whether you have stolen, neglected, or wasted aught, or done other injury.​
Pray, Propose to Me a Brief Form of Confession.
Answer.​
You should speak to the confessor thus: Reverend and dear sir, I beseech you to hear my confession, and to pronounce forgiveness to me for God's sake.

Kinda culty to look to a man to forgive ya of your sins huh?

Jan 12, 2014
So if you don't believe baptism saves, and don't believe in infant baptismal regeneration, you're questionable and don't understand salvation?

This is from the Luther small catechism.

85%+ of Christendom must be very questionable.
Acts 2
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

do what you want with it.
The Book of Concord is not required reading or dogma for anybody.
But Acts 2 is.

1still_waters

Acts 2
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

do what you want with it.
The Book of Concord is not required reading or dogma for anybody.
But Acts 2 is.
That text I quoted was from the small catechism.

Jan 12, 2014
I stand corrected on adherence to the Book of Concord.
Regardless, there is a cult like aspect to the Smaller Catechism.
As I pointed out, one must believe baptism saves according the the smaller catechism.

According to the smaller catechism, one must also believe that in confession and absolution you receive forgiveness from the pastor(confessor).

Kinda culty to look to a man to forgive ya of your sins huh?
If you are overwhelmed by a sin you have committed, but do not believe you are forgiven, (you conscience condemns you)
don't you look for confirmation YOU ARE FORGIVEN?

Absolution (anyone reminding a christian fretting about sin) is lost. and that's why you have christians who give up in despair.
Not one single lutheran believes the pastor is forgiving their sin.
and you know it.

I hope you don't encourage christians worried about their sin to remember Jesus forgives. That's absolution. Any christian can assure another.
Just like any christian can baptixe another.

Maybe you like all that other stuff about prophets and arminiaism better.
can't decide?

Last edited:

1still_waters

If you are overwhlemed by a sin you have committed, but do not believe you are forgiven,
don't you look for confirmation?

It's by faith, not sight.
Should just take the Bible at its word.

And the catechism doesn't portray it as a simple "reminder".

Absolution (anyone reminding a christian fretting about sin) is lost. and that's why you have christians who give up in despair.
Not one single lutheran believes the pastor is forgiving their sin.
and you know it.

Maybe you like all that other stuff about prophets and arminiaism better.
can't decide?
I'm just quoting what the catechism says...
What is Confession?*
Confession embraces two parts: the one is, that we confess our sins; the other, that we receive absolution, or forgiveness, from the confessor, as from God Himself, and in no wise doubt, but firmly believe, that our sins are thereby forgiven before God in heaven.
What sins should we confess?
Before God we should plead guilty of all sins, even of those which we do not know, as we do in the Lord's Prayer. But before the confessor we should confess those sins alone which we know and feel in our hearts.
Which are these?
Here consider your station according to the Ten Commandments, whether you are a father, mother, son, daughter, master, mistress, a man-servant or maid-servant; whether you have been disobedient, unfaithful, slothful; whether you have grieved any one by words or deeds; whether you have stolen, neglected, or wasted aught, or done other injury.
Pray, Propose to Me a Brief Form of Confession.
Answer.
You should speak to the confessor thus: Reverend and dear sir, I beseech you to hear my confession, and to pronounce forgiveness to me for God's sake.
Lutheran's do this little side step where they make it sound like it's just a reminder.
But the catechism teaches that it's more than a weeeee lil reminder.