Future Sins Are Forgiven Verse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 8, 2018
How many of my sins were 'in the future' when Jesus took my punishment and allowed me access to Kingdom? All of them. Amazing Grace.
Salvador Dali, the modern painter, appeared to understand the time-transcending sacrifice of Jesus, giving His perfect life for our life.
In his painting, 'Crucifixion', the cross is based on a tesseract. A 4-dimensional cube; suggesting the 4th dimension of time into the image in the only way he graphically could. Just a thought.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! Ben... PTL!
I agree that Jesus' sacrifice redeemed us from the curse of our sin, but Heb 9:15 makes for some interesting speculation regarding the dynamics of that forgiveness:
Heb 9:15 "And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance."
Gal 3:23-25 "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith that should afterwards be revealed.
IMO: Since the NT is based upon better promises and upon a better sacrifice that even purges our consciences from dead works to serve the living God by the ministry of the Holy Spirit; it unlike the OT; comes without a curse, so that after faith in Jesus, our sins no longer require a blood sacrifice, but rather, we are to have love for one another and have faith in Jesus; given to us for use to be pleasing to the Father.
1 Jn 3:19-24; vs 23 "And this is his commandment that we should believe upon his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment."
In the OT, they studied scripture to insure that they keep all of the law, avoiding the curse; whereas now, in the NT, we study scripture for the Spirit to write the Lord's commandments into our hearts and minds, to increase our faith, and to minister Jesus to us, Spirit to spirit. For now, the law of the Spirit of life has made us free from the law of sin and death. In the OT there was no provision for the conscience to be cleansed from guilt for past acts of disobedience and transgression; whereas in the NT, Heb 9:14 "How much more shall the blood of Christ, who by the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
They are dealt with by your present tense believing.

Note vs. 25...

"25Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them."-Hebrews 7:25

It isn't that you don't need any more sacrifice for sin after you accept Jesus' sacrifice. The author is saying that you don't need to offer up another sacrifice when you sin again like you did under the old covenant because the sacrifice of Jesus is still there on the altar from the last time you sinned still interceding for you. And so in that way you have been made perfect.

So he's not saying you don't need any sacrifice now. He's simply saying the one you brought to the Father in the past is still there and able to deal with this day's sin. You don't need to bring another sacrifice to cover new sins. The one that's still there is doing that (which is why we should continue to believe and trust in it).

The key to understanding all this is to do what the author of Hebrews does--contrast what the priest and sacrifice in the old covenant couldn't do for you with what the Priest and Sacrifice in this New Covenant can and will do for you, and for that reason should continue to trust in that new Priest and Sacrifice.
I don't know how I feel about your insistence of belief. Not that I am suggesting someone can not believe and be saved, but rather a believer believes (by definition). The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement and it is through God's drawing and conviction that people then repent ("the goodness of God leads to repentance"). So, your idea of striving to believe is a little odd, as if you're making it a work.

The Lord convicts and convinces of the Gospel, and our response is faith. It is like listening to a well articulated argument and then you believe. The effort was on the part of the one putting forth the premises, and we simply are the receptacle of such truth. He has done His work and instilled in us the capacity to believe.

Since it was His work to convict us of such truth, would it not be also His work to retain it? We may run into contradictory statements, even deception, but is it not the Spirit's role to lead us into all truth? So who really gets the credit? The student or the Teacher? We may believe, but who is it that convinces us?

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
In discussing the total forgiveness we have through Jesus Christ, for all sin, it is often brought up that there isn't a verse that explicitly states future sin is forgiven (or the sins committed throughout one's life). They will argue that only past sins before conversion are wiped clean. However, present sin and future sin must be dealt with on an individual basis, an on-going basis (i.e., seeking forgiveness).

Now I have had this discussion with many people and some headway actually was accomplished. Eventually they did concede that such forgiveness didn't have to do with judicial standing before God. They understood and agreed that it is through the blood of Christ that we have obtained forgiveness and Jesus is the propitiation for our sins thereby making us justified before God. Not penance, sin confession, or even repentance (throughout one's life), but the blood of Christ is what justifies us. The Gospel that we believe in, that we are saved by grace through faith. Our righteousness, one of faith. Our standing, by the grace of God and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ (who is risen).

Now, what verse is it that claims all sin is forgiven? What single verse establishes this case? To my delight I was reading Hebrews recently and the verse, I am about to share with you, just worded it so perfectly that it stood out to me.

Hebrews 7:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

Please take note of the role of the high priest to deal with daily sin through the offering up of sacrifice. Then notice when speaking of Jesus, our High Priest (eternally, after the order of Melchizedek) the verse says "this He did once, when He offered up Himself." He (Jesus) doesn't do daily sacrifices to deal with our ("daily") sin, but He did this once when He died on the cross.

This represents so clearly how through the blood of Christ we have the remission of sin, of all sin. What does scripture say, of such sin? Where remission of these is there is no more offering for sin (Hebrews 10:18). Forgiveness, total and complete forgiveness is granted to us. We are forgiven. We are justified. A single verse that paints it so beautifully (not to mention to myriad of verses revealing Jesus' role as our High Priest).

1 John 2:1-2 King James Version (KJV)
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
Wow! A refreshing read, Kudo's to BenFTW. Well said, salvation come's by grace thru faith. Not our great works or our repentance from anything. Nothing but faith in the spilled BLOOD & RESURRECTION of Jesus reconciles us to God.

When we miss the mark (sin) we have advocate:

KJV Dictionary Definition: AD'VOCATE, n. L. advocatus, from advoco, to call for, to plead for; of ad and voco, to call. See Vocal.

1. Advocate, in its primary sense, signifies, one who pleads the cause of another in a court of civil law. Hence,

2. One who pleads the cause of another before any tribunal or judicial court, as a barrister in the English courts. We say, a man is a learned lawyer and an able advocate.

(My Note: Not only is Christ out advocate he's our final judge:
Verdict NOT GUILTY - FULL SIN PARDON!)

Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
(My note: He obtained ETERNAL REDEMPTION for us. Not until we miss the mark (sin) again)

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
I wonder how someone can walk away from God if he's omnipresent

R

Ralph-

I wonder how someone can walk away from God if he's omnipresent
The argument is that a person can walk away from trusting in the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin. The Galatians were doing that.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
The argument is that a person can walk away from trusting in the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin. The Galatians were doing that.
Verses?

R

Ralph-

He obtained ETERNAL REDEMPTION for us. Not until we miss the mark (sin) again
That's right. That's why you should keep believing in the blood of Christ. So that when you get to that future sin the blood of Christ has it covered and you can continue to have the life that is eternal.

R

Ralph-

Not that I am suggesting someone can not believe and be saved
Good. You agree that only believing people are saved. That's what's important.

your idea of striving to believe is a little odd, as if you're making it a work.
If we are not to strive to continue to trust in the blood of Christ, what do these passages mean?

"do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward."-Hebrews 10:35

"if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast"-Colossians 1:23

If God is doing all this believing inside of us, why does the Bible even have to tell us this? And if it's all a work of God, not us, why are the Galatians and the Corinthians falling away from believing in the gospel? Did God not do a very good job of believing in them?

Even if 'believing' was a work, like 'love your neighbor as yourself' is a work, where does the Bible say that believing is a work of us trying to earn our own salvation? Paul makes it clear that he is contrasting believing God with works of the law for justification, not equating them as you and others are doing.

Believing in God for justification will never be on the side of doing works of the law for justification. Never. But so many people think because believing is something you do (or God does for you?) then you are trying to earn your own salvation by doing it. But that's not what the definition of the works gospel is. The works gospel is never defined in the Bible as you believing in Christ to be justified.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
How many of my sins were 'in the future' when Jesus took my punishment and allowed me access to Kingdom? All of them. Amazing Grace.
Salvador Dali, the modern painter, appeared to understand the time-transcending sacrifice of Jesus, giving His perfect life for our life.
In his painting, 'Crucifixion', the cross is based on a tesseract. A 4-dimensional cube; suggesting the 4th dimension of time into the image in the only way he graphically could. Just a thought.
The problem with that graphic is that it is too pretty. Isaiah 53 paints the picture of a Man so scarred that He no longer resembles a human - but rather a piece of meat in a locker.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I find the Internet such a great asset for the simple fact there are Bible verse search sites aplenty.
Someone can enter a keyword and all pertinent verses for the most part will show. Some sites even offer training in how to study.

It never fails to at first surprise me and then cause me to retract that feeling and return to, well, that's not uncommon now days. I therefore ask you and anyone here this question. How can we as a believer in the mercies of the heavenly father and his son Jesus ever be led away from his precious truth? And argue that our sins contrary to what we're told by God are not actually forgiven? Making his perishing on the cross not holy. Rather, wholly insubstantial.
Think really hard but not too hard because it isn't a stretch really, about the answer.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Good. You agree that only believing people are saved. That's what's important.
Well yeah. That's why it is called faith.
Now if only you'd recall the writing where Jesus says no one, which would mean the believer is included, will take us from his hand. Ever.

What part of "eternal salvation" is hard to comprehend?

R

Ralph-

Now if only you'd recall the writing where Jesus says no one, which would mean the believer is included, will take us from his hand. Ever.
If it includes us and that we do not have the will to leave Christ, why does the Bible exhort and warn us to keep believing?

The part that the church invented that says 'eternal' means you can not lose it.

The church now understands 'eternal' to mean you can never lose it under any circumstances whatsoever, instead of the way the Bible means it.

If I gave you a set of batteries for your flashlight that can never run out does that mean you can never lose them or does it mean the batteries themselves will never run out? If you had a set of batteries like that my exhortation to you would be to make sure you hold fast to them because they can never run out. That is how eternal life is portrayed in the Bible.

R

Ralph-

The problem with that graphic is that it is too pretty. Isaiah 53 paints the picture of a Man so scarred that He no longer resembles a human - but rather a piece of meat in a locker.
If you know anything about Salvadore Dali's art you'd know you don't want to seek inspiration about God from him.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
If it includes us and that we do not have the will to leave Christ, why does the Bible exhort and warn us to keep believing?
Because it also tells us what faith is.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

The part that the church invented that says 'eternal' means you can not lose it.
The church didn't invent God. God in the beginning tells us he is eternal. Eternal is an adjective. It means everything God sent his son to die to communicate to this fallen world. The dictionaries simply caught on eons later.
e·ter·nal
[əˈtərn(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE
  1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.
    "the secret of eternal youth" ·
    [more]
    synonyms: everlasting · never-ending · endless · without end · perpetual · undying · immortal · deathless · indestructible · imperishable · immutable · abiding · permanent · enduring ·
    [more]

R

Ralph-

The church didn't invent God. God in the beginning tells us he is eternal. Eternal is an adjective. It means everything God sent his son to die to communicate to this fallen world. The dictionaries simply caught on eons later.
e·ter·nal
[əˈtərn(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE
  1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.
    "the secret of eternal youth" ·
    [more]
    synonyms: everlasting · never-ending · endless · without end · perpetual · undying · immortal · deathless · indestructible · imperishable · immutable · abiding · permanent · enduring ·
    [more]
I didn't say the church invented God. I said it invented the teaching that 'eternal' means you can never lose eternal life. The definition of 'eternal' you posted does not show that eternal life means you can never lose it. Eternal life means that the life itself is what is eternal.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I didn't say the church invented God. I said it invented the teaching that 'eternal' means you can never lose eternal life. The definition of 'eternal' you posted does not show that eternal life means you can never lose it. Eternal life means that the life itself is what is eternal.
I read you the first time. And to put it simply, I also said you are wrong. That was after the words of God did.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Well yeah. That's why it is called faith.

What part of "eternal salvation" is hard to comprehend?

It seems you and Ralph are speaking about the same thing. Just using different terminology's. I guess, because it "flows from the tongue" better or more eloquently, in stating a difference between a "belief", verses a "living belief", then it is from "faith", verses a "living faith."

Apr 15, 2017
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Of course all sin can be forgiven, and also John said sin not.

If we sin it can be forgiven for the blood of Christ washes it away.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

But if we hold unto sin then there is no sacrifice for that sin, for the blood of Christ cannot wash it away, for God will not take away what we hold unto.

And this is an attitude that sin does not affect their relationship with God, so they enjoy sins and think they are right with God, instead of having the right attitude that sin does affect their relationship with God, and they have to depart from sin led by the Spirit.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

But the Lord knows them that are His having this seal, for this is what seals them, and how they are led of the Spirit, that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

There is no excuse for not abstaining from sin for the power is there to help us overcome the flesh, and abstain from sin by the Holy Spirit, which if a person hates sin, and does not want sin, by the Spirit they can abstain from sins for they will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, for they have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts, and show the ways of the Spirit, and not the flesh, and God will not allow them to be tempted above what they are able to handle, and will give them an escape from the temptation so they can bear it.

Repenting of your sins means you are sorry for all past sins, and to turn away from sins and hate sin, and do not want sin.

All sin can be forgiven, but if we hold unto sin then it cannot be forgiven for then we violated repenting that caused us to be saved in the first place, by not hating sin, and wanting sin, which we are supposed to give that sinful lifestyle up.

But some people did not have the right perspective of repenting of their sins when they first confessed Christ.

2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

But there are many people that claim Christ that believe they cannot abstain from sins, and sin daily, and sin does not affect their relationship with God, that enjoy fleshy pleasures, and justify drinking alcohol, and smoking marijuana, and worldliness, loving money and material things for their wants, going above their needs, which Paul said if they preach that God does bless the saints with money and material things for their wants, and not a necessity, withdraw yourselves from them, having food and clothing be content, and loving worldly movies, and television, and music, and taking vacations, and cruises, all the while the poor and needy need help.

Which Paul said he can have all faith as to remove mountains, but if he did not have charity, love in action, then he is nothing.

And James said if they do not have charity then their faith is dead.

And John said if they do not have charity then the love of God does not dwell in them, so do not love in word only, but love in deed and in truth.

Some people say we are not saved by our works when James pointed out caring about the poor and needy, but Paul, James, and John, all say the same thing concerning those works.

And love not the world, or the things in the world, for if anybody loves the world, or the things in the world, the love of the Father is not in them.

These people like to say we cannot abstain from sins, and sin daily, but the Bible says they can abstain from sins by the Spirit, and many hold unto sin, and say sin does not affect their relationship with God, but the Bible says the Lord knows those that are His which is the people that hate sin, and do not want sin, and depart from iniquity.

These people like to believe according to liberty of the flesh, and act like their sins are covered regardless if they hold unto sin or not.

They want to act like all is covered under the blood no matter how they act, and they can enjoy sin and still be right with God.

Which they cannot deny it for they say they cannot abstain from sin, and sin daily, so they testify by their own mouth that they sin and do not cease from sin, but then sin is on their record, and the blood of Christ cannot wash it away, for if they cannot abstain from sin then how can all their sins be forgiven if they can never cease from sins.

Which they are ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth that they have to hate sin, and not want sin, and sin does affect their relationship with God.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

They act as if they are clean inside all the while saying sin does not affect their relationship with God, but Jesus said out of the heart proceeds what really a person is about, so if they sin, or hold unto sin, then that is what is in their heart, then how are they clean inside, and if they say they cannot abstain from sins then how are they clean inside if they are always sinning.

2Pe 2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children.

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

The Bible says that those that are not right with God cannot cease from sins, which if they say they cannot abstain from sins what does that tell you.

They are fleshy in their interpretation of scriptures.

The world is in trouble for their sins but they can get away with it, which is strange.

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

If a person confesses Christ, and repents of their sins, it should be a given what that means, and not making excuses for their sins as if they cannot help it, but who twisted their arm to sin.