Gay Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lyndies

Upfront (not that it matters), I am not gay.

That being said, I don't know how I feel about whether or not being gay and acting on it is a sin or not...but right now, I'm thinking that it's not. Again: I DON'T KNOW ECACTLY HOW I FEEL.

I know all of the verses that people use to point out that it is wrong and not how God created it.

BUT, I've also heard views on the other side of it. I also study a bit of ancient history in school and know that man-on-man action in the Bible wasn't what it is today. Then, it was talking about rape and that has never been ok. (I also don't have all the facts on this.)

I know Christians who are gay and are ok with God. They feel that it is not a sin (and I know they aren't justifying their sin by saying this--they've actually experienced God's comfort in who they are with this...meaning that they are gay).

So, I was wondering if anyone on here is gay and would like to share how they feel in their relationship with God on this.

Comments from straight people are welcome, too, of course.

I've just been incredibly curious and confused about this for a while.

Y

yahweh_is4me

Upfront (not that it matters), I am not gay.

That being said, I don't know how I feel about whether or not being gay and acting on it is a sin or not...but right now, I'm thinking that it's not. Again: I DON'T KNOW ECACTLY HOW I FEEL.

I know all of the verses that people use to point out that it is wrong and not how God created it.

BUT, I've also heard views on the other side of it. I also study a bit of ancient history in school and know that man-on-man action in the Bible wasn't what it is today. Then, it was talking about rape and that has never been ok. (I also don't have all the facts on this.)

I know Christians who are gay and are ok with God. They feel that it is not a sin (and I know they aren't justifying their sin by saying this--they've actually experienced God's comfort in who they are with this...meaning that they are gay).

So, I was wondering if anyone on here is gay and would like to share how they feel in their relationship with God on this.

Comments from straight people are welcome, too, of course.

I've just been incredibly curious and confused about this for a while.
1cor 6. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
to me its pretty black and white ..... can't argue what GOD says about it ...

K

karuna

So, I was wondering if anyone on here is gay and would like to share how they feel in their relationship with God on this. Comments from straight people are welcome, too, of course.
I think the type of answers that you will receive will explain to you how a gay person feels, probably better than a gay person could even say it himself. Most of what you're going to hear, you probably already know. Guard your heart, be forgiving.

L

Lyndies

I think the type of answers that you will receive will explain to you how a gay person feels, probably better than a gay person could even say it himself. Most of what you're going to hear, you probably already know. Guard your heart, be forgiving.

I don't really understand the first sentence (sorry).....but that it was I want to know. I want to know if they feel convicted or not. Um--how they feel in their relationship with God.....God it affects their relationship with Him.

I want to hear personal stories. Because I've heard both sides of the Biblical arguments and i do know that it should come right down to God's Word. I agree. But there are so many different interpretations.

It's the personal stories that make sense.....does that make sense?

K

karuna

What I mean is, you probably won't find many positive stories from actively gay Christians here. When everybody else starts to weigh in, I think you'll understand why they don't tend to hang around or out themselves.

L

Lyndies

Also, I have heard many testimonies of gay Christians who tried to go through therapy to "get cured" and they ended up so depressed because it wasn't something they chose or wanted.

A lot of Christians assume that it's a lifestyle choice, but that's not what I hear from people who are gay. Why would they choose this if they don't believe it's right or if they want to "be cured", or if they are being threatened, ostricised, or picked on for it? Why would they choose something like that?

God makes us all on purpose just the way we are, so why are people like this if they don't want it? If it's really who they are? And from a younge age. I learned in psychology that it's already done by the age of three. Three year olds don't think "Gee, I'm gonna be gay now!" You know?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Scripture doesn't flat out give the answers, and that is why I want personal stories and thoughts. (Do feel free to back up what you believe with scripture, though (anyone). I'm just saying that it isn't so clear-cut as that.

And I don't mean to offend anyone. Like I said, I'm just really confused and looking for answers.

A

andrew12

I don't really understand the first sentence (sorry).....but that it was I want to know. I want to know if they feel convicted or not. Um--how they feel in their relationship with God.....God it affects their relationship with Him.

I want to hear personal stories. Because I've heard both sides of the Biblical arguments and i do know that it should come right down to God's Word. I agree. But there are so many different interpretations.

hello, according to what you say , i undesrtand that the bible can be interpreted in diferent ways , but look that jesus say that we must hear his voice not our own interpretation or voice , if a person is going to discover what is bad for its feelings so if you feel that fornicate is good so it is gonna be good for you but God says that is bad , so are you going to guide yourself for your interpretation ,for your feelings or for what God says??..i am sure that our minds try to find justifications to comitt sin , look what this verse says,
Jeremiah 17:9 (New International Version)

9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

is a feeling or conviction be upper what God clearly say? if God says , dont fornicate it is clear why is a person going to try to give a self-interpretation if it is clear:i think the word of God is clear not a human interpretation.

D

DreaMtz123

i kno gay ppl dat say they didnt choose to be dat way. God made them dat way. that they were supposed to be either man or womand watever the case is. but i kno one thing. GOD DOESNT MAKE ANY ERRORS! God is perfect and makes everything perfect(yu kno what i mean..rigth?).Now wat does the bible say.the Bible condemns homosexuality as an immoral and unnatural sin.
Leviticus 18:22 (NIV)
22 “ ‘Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
yu may say.. WAT IF YOU DONT "LIE" WITH THEM?? well Romans 1:26-27 declares homosexual DESIRES and ACTIONS to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent.

Like any other sin Homosexuality is forgiven if yu truly repent and ask God for forgiveness. which mean turnin away from it.even if yur a Christian.
Philippians 1:6
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

L

Lyndies

What I mean is, you probably won't find many positive stories from actively gay Christians here. When everybody else starts to weigh in, I think you'll understand why they don't tend to hang around or out themselves.

Ok, I get you. Well, it's something that Christians do deal with and struggle with, so shouldn't they feel like they can come to a Christian community and know that they won't be judged, but loved?

I hope that they won't feel threatened by "outting" themselves. It's not our place to judge. But we are all called to love.

A

andrew12

Ok, I get you. Well, it's something that Christians do deal with and struggle with, so shouldn't they feel like they can come to a Christian community and know that they won't be judged, but loved?

I hope that they won't feel threatened by "outting" themselves. It's not our place to judge. But we are all called to love.
yeah you got the reason we must not judge persons but we can judge the actions ,jesus taught us that not persons but actions .look that was what the apostles said , we must help the people to develop a truelly relationship with God.

A

andrew12

yeah you got the reason we must not judge persons but we can judge the actions ,jesus taught us that not persons but actions .look that was what the apostles said , we must help the people to develop a truelly relationship with God.
and we must love all the people from the world , and help because jesus was always helping people..

C

Co_IsaaC

Yes We are called to Love, But they are called to repentance.... Because they are living in SIN,
If they have Christ in their hearts, then the Holy Spirit will give them the conviction,
If not..! well maybe they are just church goers or "Christians" and not real disciples of Jesus.
This sounds to ecumenism to me...(in a way)

Anyways i hope you find the answer your looking for and i hope people wont get more confused about this..!

God Bless

G

godsbluesman

YES- BEING GAY IS A SIN! NO I AM NOT GAY! Why are gay people always trying to justify their sin! IT IS SIN. Not sayin you are,as you have said you arent: but homossexuality is an abomination before God and man alike-unless you are gay,of course! (or so they would have people believe).
When god created us it wasn't adam and steve-it was adam and eve!! also note that most gay people are also Catholic=think about this when the catholic priests are caught MOLESTING YOUNG BOYS! There is nothing to be unclear about,this is exactly right-homos will all be judged by God-and it won't go well for them. I'll get away from this now,or I will get vexed even more..

L

Lyndies

YES- BEING GAY IS A SIN! NO I AM NOT GAY! Why are gay people always trying to justify their sin! IT IS SIN. Not sayin you are,as you have said you arent: but homossexuality is an abomination before God and man alike-unless you are gay,of course! (or so they would have people believe).
When god created us it wasn't adam and steve-it was adam and eve!! also note that most gay people are also Catholic=think about this when the catholic priests are caught MOLESTING YOUNG BOYS! There is nothing to be unclear about,this is exactly right-homos will all be judged by God-and it won't go well for them. I'll get away from this now,or I will get vexed even more..

Dude, calm down. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions and I don't think your choice of words would make them feel loved...or change their mind. That's not even supposed to be the point of this thread.

L

Lyndies

I understand now why gay Christians may not feel welcome to post their stories for everyone to see and I'm very sorry that that's even the case. I am still curious, so maybe if anyone wants to ssend me a private message...and we could talk there.

L

lil-rush

Yes, homosexuality is a sin, but you need to calm down. You're sounding a bit homophobic with the whole Catholic thing. Just because some Catholic priests were child molesters doesn't mean all Catholics are homosexual. Also, homosexuality is not the same thing as pedophilia.

M

Matthew

It's my view that there is a gulf between christians and homosexuals that can't be addressed, christians at the best can say only that they understand but can't agree or support their sexuality and from a christian viewpoint that seems quite fair, to see it from the other side it probably sounds like you are simply being tolerated and not embraced in any genuine way.....and I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with that feeling along with everything that comes with being gay in terms of personal acceptance and struggles with faith etc...

I agree with the view that it's no sin to have homosexual orientation as our sex drive is not chosen by us, but once you follow through and embrace it then the sin begins. I know some formerly gay christians have managed to deal with it and become heterosexual and credit to them for doing it.

In general the topic is greeted with hostility on both sides, the idea a gay person can't be a christian is ridiculous although obviously they are going to have a harder time being a christian because having those feelings but believing they're wrong would result in a serious and ongoing internal struggle that would be immense.

On the flip side many christians find it hard to deal with the subject because some gay christians take the view of believing in God and thus believing that they were intentionally made that way and that is a dead end for many christians as a fundamentally incorrect assertion and one that cannot be reconciled with what the Bible has to say on the subject.

This is one of those issues where people either take a hard line and say it's right or wrong and there's no in-between, or you check into it a bit more and realise just how many varying views there are, it is confusing and probably always will be, but in the end I don't think specific views matter as we know how we are suppose to behave toward all other people regardless of what particular thing they struggle with.....so for me personally understanding it isn't really neccesary as I know what I've got to do.

M

Maddog

Finally someone speaking a bit of sense and moderation! And yeah, I haven't met a single queer who isn't a Catholic.

*rolls eyes*

H

HumbleSaint

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the women, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient. Romans 1:26-28