Gay wedding

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Our nephew, who is one of the most respectful and responsible people I know, is marrying his boyfriend.

Do we go out of respect for him, or stay away because of the gay issue?

exegete

Dec 23, 2018
My Tiny Apartment
If you were being married, I'm sure he would attend and not stay away because of the "straight issue".

Go because he is your nephew and you love him.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Hi...
Please excuse me as I do not know the Scripture which says this , but does God not say that those in sin , if we support them , we will be found as guilty as the person who is sinning...
Would it not be better to refuse the wedding , and show him why with Scriptures , just my thought...xox...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
James 4:17
Ezekiel 3:18 English Standard Version (ESV)
18 If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for[a] his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

Pray about it , search the Scriptures...xox...

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Our nephew, who is one of the most respectful and responsible people I know, is marrying his boyfriend.

Hello RickyZ,

To go to a wedding, is to congratulate and celebrate those who are being married. By going there, you would be condoning and supporting what God calls "detestable."

You as being one who is in Christ know that God does not recognize marriage between two men or two women. Furthermore, by your nephew following through with this, it leads to death, which is eternal separation from God.

I think you already know the answer to your question.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
That is the issue ... do we love him for who he is or shun him for how he lives? He grew up Christian, and other than sexual orientation lives up to Christian standards better than anyone else I know. But I don't know if he really is Christian. And that alone provides a fork in the road in scripture. We are to love and welcome the sinner, but yeah like it was said above, a brother who has been shown correction and does not accept it is to be shunned. That would be the catch-22 of it all.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
That is the issue ... do we love him for who he is or shun him for how he lives? He grew up Christian, and other than sexual orientation lives up to Christian standards better than anyone else I know. But I don't know if he really is Christian. And that alone provides a fork in the road in scripture. We are to love and welcome the sinner, but yeah like it was said above, a brother who has been shown correction and does not accept it is to be shunned. That would be the catch-22 of it all.
We cannot drink from the cup of our LORD , while holding hands with devil...
You will be loving him by bringing the darkness into the light...
If he says he is a Christian , then he would not be marrying but to remain celibate...
Jesus said He came not to bring peace , but to seperate families , and in this case , you have to seperate yourself from this path your nephew is walking along , the broad path...xox...

Apr 15, 2017

That is an issue that might be hard, for a person might think they can bypass the gay part of it because they love their nephew, and respect for him, but then God is against homosexuality, and going might suggest support of it, or not speaking against it, and taking action against it like they should.

I think I would choose not going because it is an event that God does not approve of it.

Or put it this way all sin is unrighteousness, and if your nephew said he was going to a party and you are invited, and there will be alcohol, and cocaine, and crack, and marijuana, and strippers, would you go out of respect for him, and because you do not want to offend him, or do you say God does not approve of it.

Or if he called you up and invited you to go rob a bank with three of his friends, because he cares so much about you to prosper you financially, and you will be set up for life, would you go because you respect him, and do not want to offend him, or do you say God does not approve of it.

It is a situation that is kind of hard, but if you went he knows that you are against homosexuality, for you can go but you cannot give any support in the situation.

I probably would think about it which way to go, but I am more for not going to a gay wedding, for it still seems like it suggests tolerance of it even if minor, and even if a person says they are against it.

Many Christians, in fact, will face the important question of whether we should attend a gay wedding or not. For Denny Burk, professor of biblical studies at Boyce College, the answer is a clear and emphatic no : “A wedding is a public recognition of a union, and those in attendance are there to help celebrate and add their assent to the union.

This person said this, not that I need to listen to him, but only his opinion on the matter, so it seems what business does a Christian going to a gay wedding if they are not there to celebrate their union, and not there to support them.

If your nephew was being inducted in to the KKK, or skin heads, or a white supremacy gang, will you be there to celebrate, and support him.

Or if he was being baptized in to the Church of Satan would you be there to celebrate, and support him.

For sure you would not, why, because God is against it, and He is against homosexuality too.

For all sin is unrighteousness.

Of course the food at the wedding reception might be tempting to some people.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
If you were being married, I'm sure he would attend and not stay away because of the "straight issue".

Go because he is your nephew and you love him.
That's because there is nothing wrong with being straight! There is something wrong however with those who justify their sins instead of repenting and willfully continue living according to the sinful
Hello RickyZ,

I know that this is a hard situation for you. But because of his same-sex life style, nothing else matters while he is in that state. If he was truly in Christ, the Holy Spirit would be convicting him of what he is doing.

For many years as a Christian, I could not break away from sexual immorality. I had girl friend after girl friend. But while I was fulfilling those sexual desires, I was grieved in my spirit and because of the new man in Christ. I finally was so spiritually worn out from it, that I prayed saying to God "either this is going to kill me, or your going to make it possible to overcome it." From that point on, I severed myself from woman and all sexual temptation and God rescued me from it.

My point is, those who are truly in Christ, the Spirit is not going to let them willfully continue in the sin. Remember, God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities for this very reason.

If you haven't already, I would definitely talk to him about his life and this decision. Living up to Christian standards better than anyone else you know, does not offset his sexual immorality.

When Paul heard that there was a man who was sleeping with his stepmother he wrote them and told them to expel the immoral brother from their fellowship. As innocent as it seems, this life that he is living is detestable to God:

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God."

I'm sorry that you have been put in this position, because I'm sure that you love your nephew.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Dear RickyZ, in deed this is a very painful decision.
I suppose he knows your standpoint?
I would talk with him, and tell him why i cant come to the wedding.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014

The fact he's marrying his boyfriend tells you he isn't really a Christian. Like Ahwatukee said, by attending this so-called wedding, you'd be condoning his behavior. Just explain to him that you won't be attending.

Sep 3, 2016
Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. Romans 1:32

M

Miri

Hi Ricky I’ve often asked myself this question as one of my cousins is gay. He’s
basically my brother as I was brought up by my aunt.

I don’t agree with his life style but I can still love him without having to
agree with him. Just as I can love my other cousins who live with common law
wife’s but are not married.

There are also some people at work who are gay i dont agree with their life style
but it doesn’t prevent me working with them.

Back to the question, I think if my cousin was to marry, I would wish him well but
I wouldn’t attend the wedding. Having said that I’m pretty certain my cousin
would not ask me to attend!

If your nephew really understands and knows your walk with Christ, he probably
won’t expect you to attend but might ask out of politeness.

In other words it shouldn’t come as a surprise to him if you say you can’t attend.
Wish him well but just politely decline and leave it at that. It’s not necessary to
give a reason.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Regarding this situation, we always need to remember that those who are living a same-sex life style, or anyone willfully living according to the sinful nature, the invitation for salvation through Christ is offered to them. The problem with the sin of same-sex is that, those who are engaging in it have justified it instead of repenting of it and that's the problem.

They call us haters because we are opposed to same-sex life styles. So now, one who is speaking the truth of God's word is called a hater. In actuality, those who tell the truth are showing love towards them, because we know that living a same-sex life style leads to eternal separation from God. Unfortunately, they have endeavored to twist every scripture in order to make it say something else. You can't get any clearer than "You must not sleep with a man as one sleeps with a woman. It is detestable!"

So, we should pray for them and continue to tell them the truth, as well as the resulting consequences.

Miri, how could you wish your cousin well, when you know that it leads to eternal separation from God in the lake of fire?

M

Miri

Regarding this situation, we always need to remember that those who are living a same-sex life style, or anyone willfully living according to the sinful nature, the invitation for salvation through Christ is offered to them. The problem with the sin of same-sex is that, those who are engaging in it have justified it instead of repenting of it and that's the problem.

They call us haters because we are opposed to same-sex life styles. So now, one who is speaking the truth of God's word is called a hater. In actuality, those who tell the truth are showing love towards them, because we know that living a same-sex life style leads to eternal separation from God. Unfortunately, they have endeavored to twist every scripture in order to make it say something else. You can't get any clearer than "You must not sleep with a man as one sleeps with a woman. It is detestable!"

So, we should pray for them and continue to tell them the truth, as well as the resulting consequences.

Miri, how could you wish your cousin well, when you know that it leads to eternal separation from God in the lake of fire?

I can still wish someone well and pray for a gay person, just as I can wish a non Christian
well and pray for them.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Hi Ricky I’ve often asked myself this question as one of my cousins is gay. He’s
basically my brother as I was brought up by my aunt.

I don’t agree with his life style but I can still love him without having to
agree with him. Just as I can love my other cousins who live with common law
wife’s but are not married.

There are also some people at work who are gay i dont agree with their life style
but it doesn’t prevent me working with them.

Back to the question, I think if my cousin was to marry, I would wish him well but
I wouldn’t attend the wedding. Having said that I’m pretty certain my cousin
would not ask me to attend!

If your nephew really understands and knows your walk with Christ, he probably
won’t expect you to attend but might ask out of politeness.

In other words it shouldn’t come as a surprise to him if you say you can’t attend.
Wish him well but just politely decline and leave it at that. It’s not necessary to
give a reason.

Don't wish him well. Just wish for him to come to his senses..

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I can still wish someone well and pray for a gay person, just as I can wish a non Christian
well and pray for them.
Really? You can wish them well doing something that will keep them from inheriting the kingdom of God? Would you not be wishing them well to their demise?

M

Miri

Really? You can wish them well doing something that will keep them from inheriting the kingdom of God? Would you not be wishing them well to their demise?

Nothing wrong with wishing someone good health, happiness etc.
I suppose I can try the opposite and wish him death, destruction etc.

Haven’t you ever wished a non Christian well or do you reserve that for born
again Christians only.