Gentleness seems rare these days.
It's so seldom shown, or felt, in the everyday experience (at least in what I experience) that when someone displays it, it's beautifully surprising -- like perfume that evokes a sweet memory.
Much rushing gets done in my daily life. Rushing at work. Rushing to get home. Rushing to get to work. Rushing to make dinner. Rushing to do errands so I can relax.
Then amid the rushing there is the stress: angry drivers (I sometimes fall into this category), chaos I read about in the world, harsh speech, hard things people are going through -- it can feel like walking in a desert with sand blasting me in the face.
Then, like a cool breeze in the furnace of the world, someone displays gentleness.
These moments often come in quiet, small ways, like a tender, encouraging word or a gentle touch on the shoulder.
Here's an example:
I was at a fast food place going through the drive-thru, maybe several months ago.
It was the end of a hard day.
I drove up to the window and paid.
When the man handed me my change back, he cupped my hand so gently, like he really cared about whether my change fell into my hand.
It might sound silly, but this brought tears to my eyes.
I've had people do this before, but not like that.
From his heart, it seemed, there flowed a gentleness and caring.
Regardless of whether that's true, I realized my heart was aching for gentleness. And I started to think about how seldom I see it displayed in the world.
I think about God, how He spoke everything into being and can do anything, but is still able to mend the tiniest and tenderest of souls.
How I long for more gentleness, both in the world and in my own heart.
---
“A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth.”
Isaiah 42:3 NKJV
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV
It's so seldom shown, or felt, in the everyday experience (at least in what I experience) that when someone displays it, it's beautifully surprising -- like perfume that evokes a sweet memory.
Much rushing gets done in my daily life. Rushing at work. Rushing to get home. Rushing to get to work. Rushing to make dinner. Rushing to do errands so I can relax.
Then amid the rushing there is the stress: angry drivers (I sometimes fall into this category), chaos I read about in the world, harsh speech, hard things people are going through -- it can feel like walking in a desert with sand blasting me in the face.
Then, like a cool breeze in the furnace of the world, someone displays gentleness.
These moments often come in quiet, small ways, like a tender, encouraging word or a gentle touch on the shoulder.
Here's an example:
I was at a fast food place going through the drive-thru, maybe several months ago.
It was the end of a hard day.
I drove up to the window and paid.
When the man handed me my change back, he cupped my hand so gently, like he really cared about whether my change fell into my hand.
It might sound silly, but this brought tears to my eyes.
I've had people do this before, but not like that.
From his heart, it seemed, there flowed a gentleness and caring.
Regardless of whether that's true, I realized my heart was aching for gentleness. And I started to think about how seldom I see it displayed in the world.
I think about God, how He spoke everything into being and can do anything, but is still able to mend the tiniest and tenderest of souls.
How I long for more gentleness, both in the world and in my own heart.
---
“A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth.”
Isaiah 42:3 NKJV
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV