German Potato Salad

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Karraster

Just made this for our lunch and it's so good I had to share. I doubled everything because I like leftovers, less work for me.

Found it on Allrecipes.com

4 medium red potatos
4 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1T all purpose flour
2 T white sugar
1/3 water
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1/2 c chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Scrub and boil the potatoes (whole) for 20-30 minutes till tender. Meanwhile, cook bacon in pan, set aside and chop. Add flour to pan, (I added 1 T oil to account for no bacon drippings) water, vinegar, keep stirring until thickened (about 3-4 min) add sugar and onions, bacon. As soon as potatoes are done, drain and slice into bite size chunk. (I did this without letting them cool, in the pan with a sharp knife , tossing it all until warm.

Some commenters suggested adding boiled eggs, which would be good, but I wanted to try it as is, and it is fantastic!

G

Godsgirl83

Sounds nummy! I was wanting a good German potato salad recipe

K

Kim82

1teaspoon flour to 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup vinegar?:rolleyes:

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
1teaspoon flour to 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup vinegar?:rolleyes:
Yeah, it sounds strange to me also. Here is what I do:

Old Fashion Potato Salad

6 - cups boiled potatoes - roughly mashed
add
4 - Tbs butter or margarine
2/3 - cup milk

Refrigerate - Let cool then fold in:
4 - Tbs Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
2 - Tbs sweet or dill relish
1 1/2 - Tbs prepared mustard (yellow kind)
1 1/2 - Tbs vinegar or lemon juice (any kind - for preservative)
5 - hard boiled eggs - chopped

Optional:
2/3 - cup mild or green onions chopped
Make sure onions are not strong tasting.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
This is how I make potato salad and somehow people love it or they lie and just try to make me feel good:

Peel potatoes (whatever is cheap at the store; Idaho or rustic) until I'm tired of it.
Boil until chewable and not mush.
cool in fridge.
once cooled cub potatoes in large bowl. (or make whatever size you like.... I like chucks)...
Eyeball manyase to liking.
Eyeball spicy mustard to taste.
Add 1-2 caps lids of sweet pickle juice, from the sweet pickle jar).
Cut with kitchen scissors baby dills into small pieces, whatever seems right to you.
Eyeball salt and pepper.

Chill. Serve with pepper on top....

Mar 23, 2016
When I make my potato salad, I don't boil my potatoes.

I bake them in the oven, cool them to room temp and put in fridge. Then cut them into chunks once they're cold.

If I don't want peels, I peel them after they've cooled down. I just use a knife to remove the peel. for the most part, the peel just comes right off the potato.

If I cut the potatoes before they're cold, they tend to fall apart so it's best to have them cold ... they are so much easier to cut.

K

Kim82

Kim's potato salad:

1) Peal potatoes, cube, then boil with a bit of salt
2) Boil egg. Then cut in pieces (Egg can be boiled with the potatoes)
3) Canned green peas
4) Mayonnaise
5) Combine ingredients by folding with large spoon

K

Kim82

This is how I make potato salad and somehow people love it or they lie and just try to make me feel good:

Peel potatoes (whatever is cheap at the store; Idaho or rustic) until I'm tired of it.
cool in fridge.
once cooled cub potatoes in large bowl. (or make whatever size you like.... I like chucks)...
Cut with kitchen scissors baby dills into small pieces, whatever seems right to you.
Eyeball salt and pepper.

Eyeball?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

cool in fridge.
Eyeball salt and pepper.

LOL! That does sound funny...:giggle:

@jacob_g means "just put as much of the ingredient that looks good to you." ;)

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Just made this for our lunch and it's so good I had to share. I doubled everything because I like leftovers, less work for me.

Found it on Allrecipes.com

4 medium red potatos
4 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1T all purpose flour
2 T white sugar
1/3 water
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1/2 c chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Scrub and boil the potatoes (whole) for 20-30 minutes till tender. Meanwhile, cook bacon in pan, set aside and chop. Add flour to pan, (I added 1 T oil to account for no bacon drippings) water, vinegar, keep stirring until thickened (about 3-4 min) add sugar and onions, bacon. As soon as potatoes are done, drain and slice into bite size chunk. (I did this without letting them cool, in the pan with a sharp knife , tossing it all until warm.

Some commenters suggested adding boiled eggs, which would be good, but I wanted to try it as is, and it is fantastic!
but if it's not made in Germany it's not really German is it? hahaha

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Usually i see it done with little ham stripes mayonaise or vinegar with oil and some herbs. I think its a way americanized german salad...and flour doesnt go in either...im confused

von1

Apr 22, 2010
That sounds good, I would do mine without eggs, eggs make me sick.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Usually i see it done with little ham stripes mayonaise or vinegar with oil and some herbs. I think its a way americanized german salad...and flour doesnt go in either...im confused
Hubby's German. I don't recall flour in any potato salad that we've made or enjoyed.