Gifts of God: should we pray for it? does the prayer change the will of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

Lol, I was prepared to go in my next posts to the fact that so many 'spiritual' churches are just plain wacko. :giggle:

It's very, very hard to find a genuinely spiritual group of people who know and appreciate the powers of the Holy Spirit and who haven't turned the gospel into a dog and pony show and a means to get rich and avoid suffering.
it can cost something to be honest and discernment I value possibly more than anything else

I do like the small groups that are based on the church you go to...only thing there is being careful of the "I am your leader types" when the actual desire is to control

sigh

I've been around :cautious:

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
LOL!...garb means clothing...so I was being haha funny with the OT garb...like animal skins

the difference:

OT prophets were basically concerned with warnings to Israel because of their apostasy and also future events

having studied NT prophecy, I believe it indicates far more forth telling of the word...expounding on the Bible...than foretelling

John had visions of the future and we do know the Bible indicates people will have visions and dreams...I've had a few myself...but these do not supersede the word

we also have the word of knowledge and it seems people get that confused with prophecy...I have operated in the word of knowledge but by no means would I call myself prophet and I think most who call themselves such today, simply are not

any time...ANY TIME...people think they can operate without knowledge of scripture and discernment, in prophetic gifts, we are going to run into big trouble and most often those types will not take instruction from anyone

and spirits of the prophets are to be subject to each other...yet you may have noticed all the lone ranger prophets...this is not God. they do not follow what the word states concerning how they are to submit...so, in no way

you can find the above in scripture regarding old and new testament prophecy

and yes the new does call some people prophets but not in the sense of OT prophets who basically tried to woo the Israelites back to God..also, and maybe this is just my opinion, but a prophet has to operate in love for the body of Christ...non condemnatory as in 'you're all going to hell unless your repent'...I've actually heard similar....or the other kind that promises wine and roses..

there is really alot to all of it...this post is more than long enough but really is just surface stuff

over n out
Thank you for expounding. I am not an english speaker so I did not immediately make the connection to clothing from the word garb.

7seasrekeyed

Thank you for expounding. I am not an english speaker so I did not immediately make the connection to clothing from the word garb.

I had no idea English was not your first language...so you must be doing ok

presidente

May 29, 2013
The Samaritans Philip preached to received the Spirit at the laying on of hands of the apostles. Paul told Timothy to stir up a gift that was in him at the laying on of Paul's hands.

Paul also reminded Timothy of a gift that he had received through prophecy with the laying on of hands of the elders. So we see that a gift can also be given through a prophecy. The Gentiles in Cornelius' house spoke in tongues, apparently without Peter laying hands on them. I Corinthians 12 says that the gifts are given as the Spirit wills. Paul does not say they have to come through an apostle's hands. They can, but the Bible does not teach that this must always be the case. There were prophets and miracles before the apostles were born.

May we pray for a spiritual gift. I Corinthians 14:13 instructs the one who speaks in an unknown tongue to pray that he may interpret. The apostles prayed for God ot stretch forth his hand and do signs and wonders in Acts 4.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
May all who believe Jesus, Yeshua, realize each's gifts, amen...