Girl suspended from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Girl suspended from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

suspended.jpg
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) -- A Colorado girl who shaved her head to support a friend who went bald because of cancer treatment has been told she violated her school's dress code. Kamryn Renfro of Grand Junction shaved her head to help Delaney Clements get through chemotherapy. Kamryn at first wasn't allowed to return to classes at Caprock Academy, the charter school she attends.

The academy later said she could return, but the school's board of directors is expected to discuss her situation at a meeting Tuesday evening. The (Grand Junction) Daily Sentinel (Girl suspended in head-shaving act of support | GJSentinel.com) reports that the school board's chairwoman says the school's the dress code is designed to promote uniformity and a non-distracting environment. She said exceptions can be made under extraordinary circumstances. The board will decide whether they should make an exception.

Read More at: Girl suspended from school for shaving her head - WHP CBS 21 Harrisburg

Girl suspended from school for shaving her head - WHP CBS 21 Harrisburg

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Guess she shouldn't have broke the rules.

R

Rush

That sort of thing is just hilarious.... like cry or laugh sort of hilarious. Gonna be one of the other, right?

My sister broke the school mold in the early 90's in that girls weren't allowed to wear trousers... you heard me right, even in the winter they were required to wear stockings (for warmth) but still dresses/skirts specific to the school uniform. Credit to her, she took the hassle that came with it, but because of her, girls from then on were allowed to wear long pants too.

This situation is even more ridiculous because it's just hair; but more so because the girl is doing it to help her mate. I say God bless her. Whether she gets reamed by the school board or not, her friend will know that she does not suffer alone. God bless her.

R

Rush

"It makes me feel very special and that I'm not alone" - Thanks kids. Always keep me honest and remember just how to love as Christ loved.

Feb 16, 2014
I read another similar story today.

This little girl was pulled out of Christian school for her tomboy haircut - Raising Kids - Family-Parenting - MSN Living

Sunnie keeps her hair short and likes wearing sporty clothing, which seems like good old fashioned common sense for a kid who likes going outside. But her preference for a close crop has made her ostracized at her school.
The reason she got in trouble is because the school holds a stereotypical view of homosexuals. The thing is, the girl wasn't hitting on other girls, nor did she come out as a lesbian. She was acting like a perfectly normal child with short hair and sporty clothes.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Dress codes are getting ridiculous. I understand dressing modestly, and not wearing offensive sayings on clothing, but shaving your head in support of cancer and being suspended for it? Really?

Dec 12, 2013
Another stOOpid response from people who are out of their mind!.....Yeah I know how to spell stupid!

John_agape

Feb 27, 2014
The reason she shaved her head was praiseworthy, not rebellious.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Rules are Rules though. There were a number of cases in the UK where boys were suspended from school for breaking rules on hair length, where they shaved head to stubble a number 1 clipper.

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
Have we really come to this.....children can teach us so much about pure love and commpassion of others..
If I was her teacher or principal I probably would have participated and shaved my head to.....
Shame we grow up and become so sinical.....

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Yes we have come to anarchy where rules can be flouted if its deemed sociably acceptable

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
the school board's chairwoman says the school's the dress code is designed to promote uniformity and a non-distracting environment
Glad it wasn't a chairman. That aside, they should probably make exceptions for singular incidents. If everyone shows up with a bald head, well, then the school's officially scrawed. If they want money that is. But for the time being, maybe the family should consider a hat or a whig? Or a different school? Up to them.

1still_waters

Glad it wasn't a chairman. That aside, they should probably make exceptions for singular incidents. If everyone shows up with a bald head, well, then the school's officially scrawed. If they want money that is. But for the time being, maybe the family should consider a hat or a whig? Or a different school? Up to them.
In Amerika, where liberals claim they're for equality and freedom, the same liberals who run the schools stand against your choice to use YOUR tax money to attend a different school. So sadly it's not an option, unless her parents are rich enough.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
In Amerika, where liberals claim they're for equality and freedom, the same liberals who run the schools stand against your choice to use YOUR tax money to attend a different school. So sadly it's not an option, unless her parents are rich enough.
As liberal as Colorado has become one of it's redeeming qualities is school choice.

Most states require that a student attend the school in the area they reside whereas Colorado allows school choice. If you don't like your neighborhood school, or if you prefer a different district altogether you can enroll your children there instead as long as there is room in that school. Colorado also has a strong charter school (next best thing to a private school) program to add to the available choices. Charter schools have strong control of curriculum at the individual school and many of them have strict dress codes like private schools do.

The school that this girl was attending was a charter school with a strict dress code and in order to enroll there her parents would have had to sign contracts agreeing to that dress code. By all means I think under these circumstances the school SHOULD have made an exception, but if they chose to not make that exception the parents were well aware of the possible consequences beforehand.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
As liberal as Colorado has become one of it's redeeming qualities is school choice.

Most states require that a student attend the school in the area they reside whereas Colorado allows school choice. If you don't like your neighborhood school, or if you prefer a different district altogether you can enroll your children there instead as long as there is room in that school. Colorado also has a strong charter school (next best thing to a private school) program to add to the available choices. Charter schools have strong control of curriculum at the individual school and many of them have strict dress codes like private schools do.

The school that this girl was attending was a charter school with a strict dress code and in order to enroll there her parents would have had to sign contracts agreeing to that dress code. By all means I think under these circumstances the school SHOULD have made an exception, but if they chose to not make that exception the parents were well aware of the possible consequences beforehand.

I agree, this is a little gray area. People tend to love dress codes, until they run afoul of them. It is amazing how many people will move into a subdivision that has hundreds of rules governing what they can do, then fight tooth and nail because they're not allowed to do something. It seems the only thing people hate more than neighborhood covenant rules is neighbors with brown lawns.

This is not to say that the girl shouldn't be allowed to shave her head for cancer support, but I wonder how much time the administrators should have to spend on determining intent.