Giving glory to God in your job/career

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ that you are serving.

I try to be consciously aware of the Lord in every aspect of my life and with everything that I do. One of the most challenging areas for me has to be in my work as of late. By background I am a nurse, and in previous roles where I've provided direct care to clients or patients I've found this so much more easier to do. I think partly because health care can be categorized as a profession that serves others, also because I've also regarded my work as a place where the Lord could use me as His vessel to directly impact the lives of others. Thus, I've adapted the approach of not working unto my employer or even the patients/clients but unto the Lord and that surprisingly came quite natural.

Now that I've worked in many roles of leadership and yet the most challenging, management. It is so much harder for me to keep this frame of mind when you have demands coming from several different directions and you can be left feeling stretched, stressed etc. I suppose that I can still adapt the same approach, working unto the Lord and not my director or my staff or even the clients/patients that we serve, but committing all that I do to Him and again letting Him work in me and through me. Needless to say, this particular role has required a different kind of surrender for me.

If anyone would like to share, what kind of work do you do and how do you give glory to God or acknowledge Him in and through your work, or how would you like to do that better?

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
@Kaylz
I LOVE that you've started this thread. This is a topic that has been on my heart and mind for a while now too. i have thought about starting a similar thread on this topic; however, the time to clearly write it all out just hasn't been available to me.
To answer the first part of your question: I'm a stay at home mom/homemaker (hence not having much time. We're wrapping up bedtime routines now, so I'll have to answer the rest of your question at a later time)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For me it usually means actively trying to make sure my presence is an improvement in that area, not a burden. (A lot of it ties into work ethic, so yeah... Dual motive there.)

If I'm not doing anything and someone else is running his butt off, I should actively look for something I can do to help.

If business is running hectic and people are getting frantic, I should actively try to be calm and get the job done. Maybe even make a comment to defuse the situation.

If someone gets snippy with me, don't automatically snap back. I should try to understand why he's got a bug up his butt. Usually it doesn't even have anything to do with me. If he's cranky about something trivial, maybe try to give him a little perspective. Maybe not - some people want to be crabby and resent it when you try to give them some perspective. Mostly play it by ear.

Whatever I'm doing, it seems to be working. After a day off, when I go back to work the next day the manager usually says "Boy am I glad to see you!" and starts talking about what a dumpster fire yesterday was when I wasn't there. So I guess I'm doing something right. :cool:

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ that you are serving.

I try to be consciously aware of the Lord in every aspect of my life and with everything that I do. One of the most challenging areas for me has to be in my work as of late. By background I am a nurse, and in previous roles where I've provided direct care to clients or patients I've found this so much more easier to do. I think partly because health care can be categorized as a profession that serves others, also because I've also regarded my work as a place where the Lord could use me as His vessel to directly impact the lives of others. Thus, I've adapted the approach of not working unto my employer or even the patients/clients but unto the Lord and that surprisingly came quite natural.

Now that I've worked in many roles of leadership and yet the most challenging, management. It is so much harder for me to keep this frame of mind when you have demands coming from several different directions and you can be left feeling stretched, stressed etc. I suppose that I can still adapt the same approach, working unto the Lord and not my director or my staff or even the clients/patients that we serve, but committing all that I do to Him and again letting Him work in me and through me. Needless to say, this particular role has required a different kind of surrender for me.

If anyone would like to share, what kind of work do you do and how do you give glory to God or acknowledge Him in and through your work, or how would you like to do that better?
I was both a butcher and a manager, but when I was saved it became too stressful and I was obliged to treat people in a way I didn't like.

So I became a potwash and I worked hard at it as unto the Lord and got to enjoy it.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

i am a landscaper which is my main source of income. also, i'm a coin dealer, a professional drummer & an antique dealer. God has given me the ability to work fast at landscaping even when the temp is 95. actually, the hotter it is, the better i work. i always ask the Lord to give me great strength & energy each day of work. i bless, praise & thank Him every day for what i'm able to do & what i do do. by course, i don't drink excessively, don't use drugs & don't smoke anything & i eat only organic food. & i exercise. i make sure i praise & thank Jesus for the time to be active in all this & the freedom to do so.

P

pottersclay

If you find a job you love...you'll never work a day in your life.

Kwhit14

Apr 4, 2023

I was a nurse for sixteen years, and now I’m a baker. I love my job, and it’s exactly where I need to be right now, but I’ve struggled a lot feeling like I’m doing less than I was as a nurse. One thing my current job provides is LOTS of time to pray, so I’ve made that my ministry. Thank you for this post!

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
That's a huge change and I can definitely appreciate it. Nureijg definitely has ite rewards but it is so emotionally and physically taxing. My heart is in education. I love that you are following your passion and can still give glory to God.
I was a nurse for sixteen years, and now I’m a baker. I love my job, and it’s exactly where I need to be right now, but I’ve struggled a lot feeling like I’m doing less than I was as a nurse. One thing my current job provides is LOTS of time to pray, so I’ve made that my ministry. Thank you for this post!

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
For me it usually means actively trying to make sure my presence is an improvement in that area, not a burden. (A lot of it ties into work ethic, so yeah... Dual motive there.)

If I'm not doing anything and someone else is running his butt off, I should actively look for something I can do to help.

If business is running hectic and people are getting frantic, I should actively try to be calm and get the job done. Maybe even make a comment to defuse the situation.

If someone gets snippy with me, don't automatically snap back. I should try to understand why he's got a bug up his butt. Usually it doesn't even have anything to do with me. If he's cranky about something trivial, maybe try to give him a little perspective. Maybe not - some people want to be crabby and resent it when you try to give them some perspective. Mostly play it by ear.

Whatever I'm doing, it seems to be working. After a day off, when I go back to work the next day the manager usually says "Boy am I glad to see you!" and starts talking about what a dumpster fire yesterday was when I wasn't there. So I guess I'm doing something right. :cool:
I love that! I especially like that you are able to extend grace in times when people are not at their best. Lord knows sometimes it's not easy and I have those days where I'm like... If it wasn't for Jesus this would be going sideways.

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
i am a landscaper which is my main source of income. also, i'm a coin dealer, a professional drummer & an antique dealer. God has given me the ability to work fast at landscaping even when the temp is 95. actually, the hotter it is, the better i work. i always ask the Lord to give me great strength & energy each day of work. i bless, praise & thank Him every day for what i'm able to do & what i do do. by course, i don't drink excessively, don't use drugs & don't smoke anything & i eat only organic food. & i exercise. i make sure i praise & thank Jesus for the time to be active in all this & the freedom to do so.
Amen!!

Kaylz

Apr 2, 2023
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
I was both a butcher and a manager, but when I was saved it became too stressful and I was obliged to treat people in a way I didn't like.

So I became a potwash and I worked hard at it as unto the Lord and got to enjoy it.
Evmur I can absolutely appreciate that. In my experience when work becomes stressful and hard to bear it is difficult to be your best. Aside from a lot of prayer and seeking God in the situation, if a job is changing me negatively it's hard to stay and I feel like I'm not serving in my best capacity.