Giving over to evil?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Banjer51

I recall reading in The Word that at times God has "given them over" to their evil ways but I can't remember where in scripture I saw it (maybe more than once). I've done searches to no avail. If this rings a bell with you, please give me the scriptures.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I recall reading in The Word that at times God has "given them over" to their evil ways but I can't remember where in scripture I saw it (maybe more than once). I've done searches to no avail. If this rings a bell with you, please give me the scriptures.
(Romans 1:28-32) "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; {29} Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, {30} Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, {31} Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: {32} Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Banjer51, I'm fairly certain that this is not what you are after, but I'll include it here anyway, just in case.

1 Corinthians 5
5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

1 Timothy 1

20 Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.

~Deuteronomy

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
romans chapter one as someone else said but it’s a repetitive occurance

One of the Ten Commandments is “ do not make any heaven images of god like a beast or animal or anything at all “

The reason for this is because we are gods image and his likeness mankind he made the true image of God but we are not the sharpest tool In his shed so we have to be repeatedly told things like “ don’t make golden cows and worship them as the image of god “

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

even though God made only one creature in his image , face only one creature dominion over all the earth we keep inventing images of what god is like cows or birds or elephants or men or women or demons or dragons and we make idols and pretend this is an image of god

The whole we are meant to live and be his image of goodness Love mercy righteousness and truth upon earth an image of the living God who isn’t made of stone and paint and brass and gold and doesn’t look like a beast but

He lives and walks and talks when we forgot Jesus came to remind mankind of The true and everlasting Living God and who the soul image of God is in earth

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Romans one, as others have said. It interesting that these seem to be apostates who willfully walked away.

Romans 1:21
“Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.”

It seems that there was a period in their life when their heart had been enlightened. They became vain.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Romans one, as others have said. It interesting that these seem to be apostates who willfully walked away.

Romans 1:21
“Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.”

It seems that there was a period in their life when their heart had been enlightened. They became vain.
Brother he's talking about mankind

Man began being the glory and image of god

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Genesis 1:27‭-‬28‭, ‬31 KJV

They rejected Gods word and exchanged the truth for a lie

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:16‭-‬17 KJV

The truth man is made in God's holy image to rule the earth in his ways as srweards and companions of the most high his children

But they rejected the truth and knowledge of God for the lie of Satan

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
Genesis 3:4‭-‬6 KJ

Man was made to be like those who are the offspring of God

Man began here

which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
Luke 3:38 KJV

And then they followed Satan and we're corrupted and perverted gods glory they were created to be into this image of Satan

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Genesis 6:5‭-‬6 KJ

We were made to walk in faith after God as a father and his children but we mankind found that unworthy and chose to become our own God as Satan suggested in Eden we are free we freely chose to reject Gods word and accept Satan's thats what brings Gods what against sin and unrighteousness of mankind

Paul is explaining the conundrum were in and why it came upon mankind God didn't create ys to destroy us because we followed a lie and became evil , that happened because we rejected the truth and accepted a lie

The gospel is an opportunity to accept the truth from the other side and be redeemed from the !ie seared into man's nature to at corrupted us and the answer is always the same if we accept the gospel it's going to change our mind to God which is what man's mind is designed to do hear the lord and what he's telling us and reject the kids that come after we hear it trying to steal it before it roots

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Paul is explaining the conundrum were in and why it came upon mankind God didn't create ys to destroy us because we followed a lie and became evil , that happened because we rejected the truth and accepted a lie
Yes. I agree with you. The evidence of God is there for all to see. No man is without excuse. We (all men) have a decision and choice to make.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Romans 1 was not the chapter I originally had in mind. Must have been before I had my coffee.:coffee::confused:

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Yes. I agree with you. The evidence of God is there for all to see. No man is without excuse. We (all men) have a decision and choice to make.
amen i know your position brother , I was just saying Paul is explaining what happened to mankind in the Old Testament that bring gods wrath against the unrighteousness of mankind in Roman’s one there

he’s giving us a summary of what went wrong and why God turned man over to sinful desire because that’s what we chose from the beginning , because he later in the course of his epistle tonthe Roman’s is going to give a comprehensive explaination of Gods redemptive process from that corrupt nature he’s explaining about mankind

they would t understand the solutions he explains later if he didn’t explain. Why man needs those things First

look at Roman’s as one complete comprehensive message of what went wrong with mankind in the beginning and how it affects us now , why we need salvation and redemption and reconciliation

Hes setting this part of the epistle up first

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:18-19‬ ‭

read the entire chapter and also into chapter 2- 11 it’s rhe reasoning behind why Gods wrath is now present and ready to come upon the world why we “ mankind “ need to be saved. And also a warning at the end about what’s coming

Stick with me one second more brother

He’s saying all that because later he’s going to explain this type of thing about how we can come out of that situation that sounds so terrible to face

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:

for there is no difference: being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; to declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21-22, 24-28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

See he’s spent three chapters talking about the situation mankind is in he goes through the corruption of man’s nature and how mankind has rejected Gods Will for them and he eventually let them have their corrupt Will and it destroyed them like he said it would all along if they didn’t repent they just became more sinful and more sinful more perverse and more perverse because we turned away from him and he wasn’t forcing us back he let us see the end of sin for mankind is destruction and death

abut he’s spent all that time explaining this because he’s going into the glory of the gospel and how were delivered from all that terrible situation through Christ and our nature is redeemed from the corruption to the holiness of the spirit

He progresses into the inner workings of baptism after explaining a lot about the atonement of Christs death and resurrection , then explains about baptisms relation to to us by faith and how dying in Christ by faith through baptism delivers us from what was being explained about corruption of man earlier

Paul’s letters aren’t designed fornus to see them one verse here and there but they are comprehensive explainations of the gospel we read in the books of Matthew mark Luke and John

Is all I meant to say I realize I haven’t done a great job lol but Paul’s letters are easy toninderstsnd if we take them as a whole and realize it’s all part of a solid message touching on six or seven specific subjects in the gospel

“ why do we need salvation ? Why is God angry with mankind ? Why did Jesus suffer and die ? Why do we get baptized in Jesus name ? How can we overcome the sinful nature ? ( Roman’s 6-8) I guess he goes more than six or seven but you see the point it’s all building upon each o her and revealing a message that saves

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It’s a repetitive occurance in scripture ever since man did this that God warned him not to do

“but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭2:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That transgression against Gods Will for mankind caused this

“I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭7:21, 23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and then man just kept choosing against what he said we still do today , he doesn’t force us either way if we choose evil we can live on earth till we die like anyone God will let us choose good or evil if we choose to serve evil hell
Let us have it but he warns us what’s going to happen if we don’t repent

sits like he turned then over to thoer own wicked desires but still he stands nearby and says” if you repent and listen to me you will still be saved and live hear me and live I want you to be saved dont keep Going your own way it’s going to destroy you “

But not everyone will hear what he’s saying . We were never supposed to define good and evil ourselves we were always supposed to hear Gods judgement about things and believe and follow our fathers will freely because he gave us life and blessed us in all ways