Giving up Impurity, Looking for Accountability and Prayers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I am trying to give up all impurity, especially fantasies and masturbation, and grow in my relationship with Christ. I recently gave this up and could use encouragement and prayer. I'm also looking for an accountability partner, someone I can check in with probably daily and who I can reach out to for prayer and encouragement during times of strong temptation.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I am trying to give up all impurity, especially fantasies and masturbation, and grow in my relationship with Christ. I recently gave this up and could use encouragement and prayer. I'm also looking for an accountability partner, someone I can check in with probably daily and who I can reach out to for prayer and encouragement during times of strong temptation.
That is a noble thing to pursue. The training of Holiness is never easy as to why you see monks who flee into monasteries just to resist all the temptations of the world except even within they still cannot escape their sinful desires, thoughts, and memories.

I and the church often hear these pleas from men and women who are desperate to know they are not alone in that struggle and it is a major area the church is often silent or too embarrassed to speak on.

Stay encouraged friend and rely on God way more than self will.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It would help if your partner wasn't online. Physical exertion can go a long way to relieving tension. Like running or working out. Testosterone increases by 50% after about a week of abstaining. Expect and prepare for that increase in some way. Also expect dreams to even things out naturally but at the same time I treat every encounter in a dream as a real encounter (I can rarely tell it's a dream in "that" type of moment) and eventually learned to say no in my dreams. The body will still take care of itself...although I'll admit that process is grueling. Keep running your race.

Not saying you can't have someone online only but is there no one you can reach out to that you can call? Also reading scripture aloud is quite helpful.

I had a friend of mine that said he used to sing worship songs and that would help him considerably.

I will admit that using the internet isn't the most reliable way of getting in touch with me personally. Have you considered asking a pastor at church about starting an accountability group? It'd take courage certainly but it's definitely a need almost everywhere.

Be careful what you watch on TV. Give you computer to someone when it's dark or when they are about to sleep and if that isn't an option. Opt for no computer and go to the library. Internet is free at the library and it's usually a hop skip and a jump for most people...can also bike to the library and it serves a dual purpose. The times I used the library it led to more productive computer time I found.

My advice varies depending on specifics and your season in life. A 13 year old is going to be different than a 30 year old. The concept of purity and holiness is the same but passions wane. A lot of this has worked well for me but much like working out, it is quite hard to stay disciplined on your own so I applaud you reaching out. It's not ever too late to start :)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I sympathize with your wishes, and I believe it's fine to have a deep personal friend you can talk with, and give love and support.

However I don't like the idea of "accountability partners". There is only One True accountability partner, and that is Jesus Christ. We are entirely accountable to Him, and Him alone.
We set other partners up for failure when we burden them with being accountable for things we do. Again. It is necessary to have people we can be frank and open with, and trust.

Scripture says God always provides a way out when we are tempted. When the thought first comes into your mind, pray to Jesus to take it from you. The world, your flesh, and the enemy, will keep coming at you, but you have His promise that He will never leave nor forsake you.

Dear Heavenly Father, we ask you to be ever Present in this young man's daily walk. Teach him to lean and depend on You for all things, easy and hard. In Jesus Name I pray

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I don't know @PennEd . I thought about that a bit earlier and I think it's a bit more complex. I do appreciate the assessment because I'm working on a small group based off these issues. I'd love to see it grow beyond that but it's still germinating.
and no...it's not all "I"...that approach doing it in my own power has failed many many times.

Iron sharpening iron.
Having church discipline.
Mentorship/discipleship

There is certainly accountability there. To be fair though our ultimate "account" will be to the Lord and our trust should be in him for guidance not someone else by themselves. Our issues eventually are between us and the Lord...I've learned that accountability in the fashion that "accountability partners" are touted doesn't work for me and I have to take advantage of built in accountability partners (such as parents) as well as fashion a system where others are moving in the same direction as I am.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 :)

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I'm mostly looking for someone who uses this site who would be willing to accept prayer requests and to pray for me when I'm struggling with temptation.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I'm mostly looking for someone who uses this site who would be willing to accept prayer requests and to pray for me when I'm struggling with temptation.
Do you have blocks on your computer? This can go a reasonably long way.

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. I had a mentor and an accountability partner for awhile and then I ended up pursuing this on my own again. I have had ups and downs. I'm looking again for an accountability partner here through this site, so if you happen to find this old page and think you could help me, please send me a PM. I'm open to anyone, as long as you are sincere in trying to help. Send me a PM.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Praying and will continue

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I'm not sure how long it takes to get PM activated (seems different depending) but I'll communicate when I am able to.

@Matthias7
Thanks. I didn't realize there was anything needed to activate PM.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Thanks. I didn't realize there was anything needed to activate PM.
I'm hoping I can get everything worked out tomorrow. Exercise is good for exhausting you to sleep.

Also Proverbs 6-7 are a good read.

Ant1807

Feb 9, 2020
Did you find an accountability partner?

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I can be one if you like?
That would be great. I didn't realize however that a paid membership was needed to send a private message. I tried to send you a message and it says I need to sign up for a paid membership. Since I don't want to pay for a membership here, I don't know how this is going to work.

Ant1807

Feb 9, 2020
That would be great. I didn't realize however that a paid membership was needed to send a private message. I tried to send you a message and it says I need to sign up for a paid membership. Since I don't want to pay for a membership here, I don't know how this is going to work.
I also dont have a paid membership. Do you want to email me?