GLUTTONY VS. BEING OVERWIEGHT IS A SIN?

  • Thread starter Thread starter webchatter
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

webchatter

Guest
This is in response to hattiebod's quote in the homosexual titled thread, post # 830996.
QUOTE "...GLUTTONY IS A SIN, IN FACT (GLUTTONY), IS MENTIONED MORE IN THE BIBLE THAN HOMOSEXUALS! HOW MANY RATHER MASSIVE MEN & WOMEN ARE STANDING IN THE PULPITS & PODIUMS OF CHURCHES TODAY, TELLING US ABOUT HOW WE CAN REAP THE REWARDS OF FOLLOWING CHRIST...
IT'S A LOT EASIER TO BE FAT THAN TO BE A HOMOSEXUAL? NOOOoooo. THIS IS NOT WHAT CHRIST TEACHES US. BEING HOMOSEXUAL IS A SIN YES, BUT SO IS BEING OVERWEIGHT, A LIAR, SELFISH, ETC.."

END OF QUOTE
WOW. It's hard to imagine all those people with medical problems & medications that cause people to gain 100 lbs are being thought of as sinners.How about people that are overweight with no medical problem or meds causing it?
Well, the Bible is very clear to me. Being overweight for any reason is not a sin.
GLUTTONY, AS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE, HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE'S WEIGHT!!
Duet.21:20- "And thou shalt say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice, he is a GLUTTON, and a drunkard. 21- and all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. So shall thou put evil away from among you, & all Israel shall hear, and fear."
So were all overweight people stoned to death? Were all drunkards? no. Obviously gluttony is something else.
Proverbs 23:21-"For the drunkard & the glutton ,shall shall come to poverty, and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."
Both uses of glutton here , The word is defined as glutton, to be loosed morally, as a wind blew on them, vile, a riotous eater, worthless. (notice they were not overweight)
Prov.23:2- "And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite".
Eccl.6:4-7- 4="for he cometh in with vanity, & departeth in darkness" 7-"See the labour of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled" 9-"this is also vanity & vexation of spirit.." 11- "Seeing there may be on anything that increase vanity, what is man the better?"
APPETITE, both HERE means a breathing creature, animal of vitality with a deadly desire,greedy, jeopardy of life, lust, slaying the soul.
WE KNOW THE GLUTTON HAS BEEN STONED, THEY ARE VAIN, & HAVE AN APPETITE, ETC. Are overweight people vain?
Jesus was accused of being a glutton because he ate/dined with several households/families as He went about the cities being friendly spreading His message.He also let Mary Magdelene wash His feet & was known for helping sinners before He arrived. Therefore they wondered of His morals, hanging out with sinners. There are Greek & Hebrew words for "EAT". A glutton does not describe one who "eats", or the translation would have been eat, as it is used throughout the Bible. "Appetite" in the verses also mean gluttony, among other things.
My point is, I have had the opportunity to work with more gluttons than most people, & I know exactly what it is called today, by the definitons in the Bible & the Hebrew & Greek dictionary. I'VE NEVER SEEN A FAT GLUTTON, BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO VAIN TO BECOME FAT.
i'M SURE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL WHO DO THIS, ESPECIALLY IN THE EARLY STAGES.
GLUTTONY IS TODAY CALLED BULEMIA. The Romans did it a lot, during Biblical times.If allowed to continue for years, it can be life threatening.It is then not a matter of overeating. What we would eat in a week, a full blown bulemic will eat in one setting.There were other common characteristics of bulemics also defined in these definitions that also apply to them today.I'm sorry any were stoned in OT times.
For anyone who was insulted by her posting saying fat, overweight people are sinning because they are overweight, I apologize for her judgemental attitude & lack of knowledge. Let us worry about our other sins together. God isn't judging us by our appearance. Taking pride in your being thin while others struggle with their weight, just might be a sin too. ???
 
I would also like to apologize to anyone , in advance, who has had, or knows anyone who has had bulemia. My post was not referring, like I said, to people who had early stages of bulemia. Experimental, etc. I was referring to people, at the stage where bulemia is life threatening. People who have been like this for years,steadily. It's a dark place to have your life in jeopardy at any time. My intent is to define the glutton of the Bible, into today's terminology. I'm sorry if anyone is offended, that was not my intent.
 
I wouldnt worry what her opinion was. being a glutton and being overweight are not the same thing. Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.
 
Thanks Nautilus, Actually this was the 2nd time in my life I ever heard the concept of being overweight was a sin. The first time it was a preacher who said it. Actually a prosperity preacher who said it, which makes it even more ironic. So I thought to address it here, since it was mentioned here too.
Yes, I agree with you, we arn't just talking about it's a sin to have 2 servings of dessert & a 2nd helping on Thanksgiving or something. This is a totally out of control matter that has nothing to with being a certain size. It has a lot to do with vanity as defined in Strong's definitions of "appetite" & "gluttony" in both OT & NT.thanks for your post.
 
The reason that gluttons,( bulemics), were stoned to death along with dunkards, was because they each caused the family to be in poverty, or without food.
This happens today as well. A prosperity preacher on T.V. had said from the pulpit, "I can tell from here why some of you have not prospered financially. I can see from here that your sin of being overweight is not acceptable to God, & that is why He is withholding prosperity from you."
We all have sins, but please do not think the Bible is referring to being overweight as a sin, Because it is bulemia that is the sin, ACCORDING to the Bible.
The word's meaning in English doesn't matter.
 
I would also like to apologize to anyone , in advance, who has had, or knows anyone who has had bulemia. My post was not referring, like I said, to people who had early stages of bulemia. Experimental, etc. I was referring to people, at the stage where bulemia is life threatening. People who have been like this for years,steadily. It's a dark place to have your life in jeopardy at any time. My intent is to define the glutton of the Bible, into today's terminology. I'm sorry if anyone is offended, that was not my intent.
 

I have bulimia and I know it's a sin even skinny people can be a glutton. My feeling is if your eating so much tif. your fat, your a glutton regardless if you have bulemia or not. I used to be anorexic, that also is a sin. When food becomes your security it's a sin. We just don't want to admit it.
 
.
The way I understand it; old world gluttony was associated with wild parties
wherein lots of really savory foods were laid out for everyone to enjoy with
no limit. So folks would stuff themselves and then go outside to regurgitate
it all so they could come back in and enjoy the food all over again.

* Some of my favorite buffets in the past have had such good food that I
actually wished I had more than one stomach so I could eat twice as much.
_
 
Gluttony is greed
its also habit of eating too much

I think a lot of christians go by everything in moderation as a maxim to live by.

I think drug addicts can be gluttons. Anything that people are addicted to can be gluttonous perhaps?
Is someone like anthony bourdain who went round the world round eating a glutton? Or just a gourmet.

I think many ppl get mixed messages about food. If youve lived in poverty and suddenly come into a land of plenty its likely you'll over indulge.
And then there seems to be no limit on what ppl consume with huge stores like Costco that encourage ppl to spend more, buy more than they can possibly fit into their stomachs or houses.

It soon becomes obvious when you eat more than your body can handle.
What is a Christian to do

It seems the practice of FASTING seems a bit lost on ppl. They think its dieting?
 
Gluttony in scripture is known better by the word AVARICE.

I know....another arcane word nobody uses today especially when it's promoted so often.

Kinda lost like the expression "MORAL TURPITUDE " .

Gluttony is often associated with people overweight but it's not exclusively for or meaning fat. Fat is fat...Gluttony is Gluttony. Daniel, Abraham, Othoniel (obscure prophet in Elijah's time) and several others in scripture were fat...
Nothing could be done.


Today people torture themselves to be thin...also a healthy amount of self loathing is involved. Diets, exercise and weight loss surgery.

Being overweight is usually a result of either mental health issues and/or genetics. Some people just have "fat genes".
Not much can be done for those with these genetics except gastric bypass surgery which has a host of complications.

Mental health issues are usually the chief component of obesity in the western world. And these people are often supplied with gastric bypass surgery....which causes even more mental health issues when they no longer have the weight.