I have said this so many times, but like Elijah in 1 Kings 19, sometimes I forget and run into that cave, afraid of what is going to happen to me!
I graduated from Seminary on May 4 with my MDiv. I was so happy, and my unsaved son came with my granddaughter. But other changes also occurred. My daughter moved away with her husband to do his medical school. I missed her, even though we talk every day and use Skype. I missed visitation and doing chaplaincy in the long term care. I felt more down every day.
I kept reading my Bible, praying, and really felt God was there, but my mood kept dipping. So I drove to BC to see my new grandson again. When I got home, after visiting my granddaughter, the mood really tanked. I was bereft.
By the end of the month, I was in trouble. My pain management doc gave me something to help with the depression, but of course, I reacted to it. (Or was that just God telling me to smarten up??) Then I ended up phoning the hospital. I was pushing through mud just to wash dishes. I got my garden in, but it was meaningless. Oh, Qoheleth, meaningless, vanity of vanities, nothing but vapours!
God said to get those applications off to the long term care center. I was reluctant, because of my holiday. You know, the one I had been waiting for through 7 years of school. So off they went. No answer. Woe is me! Even more down. I know the place I did my practicum wanted me, maybe the Volunteer Coordinator was away??
Then our Ladies Morning Out leadership committee met. I didn't know why I was on it, since I wasn't teaching anything. So I prayed, and God said "Evangelism." Fine with me. I arrive, and was immediately appointed to teach the Alpha class in the fall, which was great, I am going to do a neighbourhood sweep and teach it in my home. It is a church wide evangelistic initiative. Actually, Canada wide, so we will get lots of exposure to the course and praying for at least 10-12 neighbours to come to the course and come to Christ. And some ladies, too!
That evening, at our Jericho Road Local Committee, I was able to liaison, which made me feel a bit better. I was useful after all. Then the emails started coming in. Interviews with both places. I am going to be wearing two chaplain badges!! And the one place is not Christian, but desperately wanting spiritual care, visitation, Bible studies, hymn sings and Sunday Services. Sounds a bit like a full time job, which, the Lord willing I will do.
So I am feeling like God does have a plan for 7 hard years of study. Then, I get my next email, asking to lead the entire service at the Christian long term care, which means over 200 residents and staff, and God has already given me the sermon outline (Something to do with Elijah, and trusting God!!)
I ask myself, why do I have to be busy for God? Why can't I just wait upon the Lord? Maybe because God wants me to be about his business? Not sure the answer, but going to trust God that he has a purpose and a plan.
As far as music, the door has not opened for singing, but I am the official church "flautist". LOL And it only took 2 years for them to realize that 40 years of flute playing means I can fit with them, they don't have to plan it all out. And glad to be praising God in the sanctuary again.
Yes, God is in control. I just need to remember it in the dry periods, in the desert, and in the rain. (The local flood is another blog!)
I graduated from Seminary on May 4 with my MDiv. I was so happy, and my unsaved son came with my granddaughter. But other changes also occurred. My daughter moved away with her husband to do his medical school. I missed her, even though we talk every day and use Skype. I missed visitation and doing chaplaincy in the long term care. I felt more down every day.
I kept reading my Bible, praying, and really felt God was there, but my mood kept dipping. So I drove to BC to see my new grandson again. When I got home, after visiting my granddaughter, the mood really tanked. I was bereft.
By the end of the month, I was in trouble. My pain management doc gave me something to help with the depression, but of course, I reacted to it. (Or was that just God telling me to smarten up??) Then I ended up phoning the hospital. I was pushing through mud just to wash dishes. I got my garden in, but it was meaningless. Oh, Qoheleth, meaningless, vanity of vanities, nothing but vapours!
God said to get those applications off to the long term care center. I was reluctant, because of my holiday. You know, the one I had been waiting for through 7 years of school. So off they went. No answer. Woe is me! Even more down. I know the place I did my practicum wanted me, maybe the Volunteer Coordinator was away??
Then our Ladies Morning Out leadership committee met. I didn't know why I was on it, since I wasn't teaching anything. So I prayed, and God said "Evangelism." Fine with me. I arrive, and was immediately appointed to teach the Alpha class in the fall, which was great, I am going to do a neighbourhood sweep and teach it in my home. It is a church wide evangelistic initiative. Actually, Canada wide, so we will get lots of exposure to the course and praying for at least 10-12 neighbours to come to the course and come to Christ. And some ladies, too!
That evening, at our Jericho Road Local Committee, I was able to liaison, which made me feel a bit better. I was useful after all. Then the emails started coming in. Interviews with both places. I am going to be wearing two chaplain badges!! And the one place is not Christian, but desperately wanting spiritual care, visitation, Bible studies, hymn sings and Sunday Services. Sounds a bit like a full time job, which, the Lord willing I will do.
So I am feeling like God does have a plan for 7 hard years of study. Then, I get my next email, asking to lead the entire service at the Christian long term care, which means over 200 residents and staff, and God has already given me the sermon outline (Something to do with Elijah, and trusting God!!)
I ask myself, why do I have to be busy for God? Why can't I just wait upon the Lord? Maybe because God wants me to be about his business? Not sure the answer, but going to trust God that he has a purpose and a plan.
As far as music, the door has not opened for singing, but I am the official church "flautist". LOL And it only took 2 years for them to realize that 40 years of flute playing means I can fit with them, they don't have to plan it all out. And glad to be praising God in the sanctuary again.
Yes, God is in control. I just need to remember it in the dry periods, in the desert, and in the rain. (The local flood is another blog!)