God still accepts sacrifices

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
I am starting this thread because I have come to understand something about the scriptures and my personal relationship with God.

I never understood, until fairly recently, the purpose of thanksgiving, praise, worship, and love for God. These are the sacrifices we make.

Hebrews 13:15-16
15By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. 16But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

The quality of the sacrifice we offer to God matters as well. Really, the standard God is looking for you to meet is genuine thanksgiving, praise, worship, and love. God knows who the fakers are and He doesn't like it at all.

The prophet Isaiah revealed to us a glimpse into the character of God's heart, Jesus quoted him as saying:

Matthew 15:7-9
7Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

And you may be wondering what that really means? Quite simply, it means that God is looking for true worshippers. (John 4:23-24). The true worshippers are those who are trusting the sacrifice of Jesus and genuinely love God.

Because of this relationship, offer your sincere sacrifice of thanksgiving and praise to God.

So what's the point of these sacrifices? God is more likely to consider your prayers and answer them according to your request if He is well-pleased with the genuine spirit of love you give Him.

James 4:3
3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Sin offends God. He's remarkably forgiving and you will always be His son or daughter, but sin still offends Him.

So maybe you're wondering how to stop sinning? Sinless perfection isn't the point. The point is that you never give up trying to stop.

Holy living is also a sacrifice to God. The lifestyle we choose to live out with our bodies is a sacrifice we make to the Lord:

Romans 12:1-2
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
I am starting this thread because I have come to understand something about the scriptures and my personal relationship with God.

I never understood, until fairly recently, the purpose of thanksgiving, praise, worship, and love for God. These are the sacrifices we make.

15By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. 16But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

The quality of the sacrifice we offer to God matters as well. Really, the standard God is looking for you to meet is genuine thanksgiving, praise, worship, and love. God knows who the fakers are and He doesn't like it at all.

The prophet Isaiah revealed to us a glimpse into the character of God's heart, Jesus quoted him as saying:

8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

And you may be wondering what that really means? Quite simply, it means that God is looking for true worshippers. (John 4:23-24). The true worshippers are those who are trusting the sacrifice of Jesus and genuinely love God.

Because of this relationship, offer your sincere sacrifice of thanksgiving and praise to God.

So what's the point of these sacrifices? God is more likely to consider your prayers and answer them according to your request if He is well-pleased with the genuine spirit of love you give Him.

3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Sin offends God. He's remarkably forgiving and you will always be His son or daughter, but sin still offends Him.

So maybe you're wondering how to stop sinning? Sinless perfection isn't the point. The point is that you never give up trying to stop.

Holy living is also a sacrifice to God. The lifestyle we choose to live out with our bodies is a sacrifice we make to the Lord:

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Nicely explained.

Recently, I have felt like God has led me to contemplate this subject more, as well.

I began thinking about what is the true worship, love, and fear of God. Mainly because most of the time since being saved, I have had a wrong interpretation of what the fear of God really means. I put too much focus on following the rules and when I made even the simplest mistake, then I would run from God because I felt like a failure and was ashamed.

God has begun to show me through the scripture that this is the wrong attitude. He sent his Son to set us free. The only way to be free is through Him.

He brought to mind the fact that the first and greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. If we truly love God then we can worship him, and have an intimate relationship with him. If we get in the spirit and do this then all else will follow. We will want to please and honor him. Not just trying to follow some rules to look good to men or that was taught by man. God can truly set us free from sin, guilt, and shame if we truly love him with our whole heart, mind, and soul and put him first and worship him in spirit and in truth. Not saying that we will reach perfection on this earth, but we will know that we have an advocate with the Father and turn to Him quickly if we make a mistake. By doing so, we are fully trusting in Jesus' sacrifice and honoring and worshiping God.

Isaiah 29:13
Therefore the Lord said:

“These people draw near to Me with their mouths

and honor Me with their lips,

but their hearts are far from Me.

Their worship of Me is but rules taught by men.

Hope what I said makes sense. I enjoyed reading your post. Seems it complimented and added to what I have been learning :)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It is a thoughtful, wonderful post. I would like to add a comment, though. When we think of the word sacrifice we think of giving up something, and all we give the Lord amounts to a win win situation. Scripture explains this in Hebrews 13:15 when it explains that the "sacrifice" the Lord is speaking about
is giving thanks to him.

Hebrews 13: 15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name..

Jul 20, 2021

Wow...Perfectly said

T

TheIndianGirl

If we don't have the feeling of genuine thanksgiving, what should we do? I think many have felt this way occasionally about the tithe (or comparable church giving), especially when they are upset with the church about something. My pastor has said if we don't feel like giving, don't give; God doesn't want that type of money. However I don't feel this is the right response either. I think we should still give out of obligation even if we don't feel like it, out of obedience.

Aidan1

Mar 17, 2021
Yes, i agree with you. Not the feeling is the measure. God alone knows our real motives.
And if we belong to Christ, we will not argue with Him what we should give. Either we are thankful and have burden for others or we dont.
Our church f.e. expecting that we should give 75% to the church and the 25% we are free to give where we want. This I dont agree with.

Finaly, like was runningman quotet: we should give our life as living sacrifice and this including more then only our money.