I often find myself thinking that God wouldn't possibly be using someone in his will because they have some obvious sin in their life. Or I stand puzzled that God did indeed work through someone despite a sin they may not have turned from. And often I myself think that if I don't cut out a particular sin from my life, that God won't use me or I'll miss out on something he wanted me to do.
Obviously, this kind of thinking is folly. The Bible – and personal experience – make it abundantly clear that nobody is perfect. We all still fall short and engage in sin of some kind. If God only used perfect people, then nobody would ever be able to minister for God. Perfect people don't exist.
Early in my time as a Christian I was told that God uses the willing, not the perfect. I see that is very true. The heroes of the Bible? In a way, they could be seen as anti-heroes. Abraham and Sarah both lied. Jacob was a trickster. Jonah was racist against the Ninevites. Peter had a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. Paul was formerly a persecutor of the Christians. Today, God might end up using that one kid who has a habit of swearing a lot, or that girl with the beautiful singing voice who tends to show just a little too much skin. It boggles my mind... but God just wants someone willing to listen to his call.
Obviously, this kind of thinking is folly. The Bible – and personal experience – make it abundantly clear that nobody is perfect. We all still fall short and engage in sin of some kind. If God only used perfect people, then nobody would ever be able to minister for God. Perfect people don't exist.
Early in my time as a Christian I was told that God uses the willing, not the perfect. I see that is very true. The heroes of the Bible? In a way, they could be seen as anti-heroes. Abraham and Sarah both lied. Jacob was a trickster. Jonah was racist against the Ninevites. Peter had a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. Paul was formerly a persecutor of the Christians. Today, God might end up using that one kid who has a habit of swearing a lot, or that girl with the beautiful singing voice who tends to show just a little too much skin. It boggles my mind... but God just wants someone willing to listen to his call.