God's Man in the Pulpit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 13, 2021
Idaho
Pastoral Ministry: A New Type of Preacher
But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.—Acts 20:24
If Christianity is to receive a rejuvenation, it must be by other means than any now being used. If the Church in the second half of this century is to recover from the injuries she suffered in the first half, there must appear a new type of preacher. The proper, ruler-of-the-synagogue type will never do. Neither will the priestly type of man who carries out his duties, takes his pay and asks no questions, nor the smooth-talking pastoral type who knows how to make the Christian religion acceptable to everyone. All these have been tried and found wanting.
Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many), he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom. Such a man is likely to be lean, rugged, blunt- spoken and a little bit angry with the world. He will love Christ and the souls of men to the point of willingness to die for the glory of the One and the salvation of the other. But he will fear nothing that breathes with mortal breath. - A.W. Tozer

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Good post..
- Quote/passage from A.W. Tozer
--
"He will contradict, denounce..and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom."
- I agree.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne.
I dunno... isn't that kinda up to God? I can't command God to talk to me directly and give me prophetic information on-demand. Seems like something that if God wants it, God will make it happen, and nothing we can do will either force or prevent it.

Feb 13, 2021
Idaho
I dunno... isn't that kinda up to God? I can't command God to talk to me directly and give me prophetic information on-demand. Seems like something that if God wants it, God will make it happen, and nothing we can do will either force or prevent it.
No, of course, we cannot command God. Tozer's point is much deeper and certainly applicable given the climate of the average pulpit today. Too many men, who are not God's men, stand behind the sacred desk today (my opinion). God give us men who are strong and of good courage! Men who eschew evil and abhor the profane!

"We cannot kindle when we will...the fire which in the heart resides.
The Spirit bloweth and is still...in mystery our soul abides.
But tasks in hours or insight will'd...can be through hours of gloom fulfill'd."
- Matthew Arnold (1852).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This is true. Now more than ever, there is much profit in telling people what they want to hear. It's very popular to tell people they are correct in believing what they have already decided they want to believe.

S

SophieT

I put the emphasis on the BODY of Christ. Seems to me we have had enough of the 'super star' one man show already which is why I do not understand your post.

Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many), he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom. Such a man is likely to be lean, rugged, blunt- spoken and a little bit angry with the world. He will love Christ and the souls of men to the point of willingness to die for the glory of the One and the salvation of the other. But he will fear nothing that breathes with mortal breath. - A.W. Tozer
yeah. not really. same type of ending would result cause that is just human nature.