God's Sabbath Rest - Mission Impossible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The sabbath was a shadow and meant for rest but the substance was rest in what Jesus would accomplish at the cross,Salvation at its core is rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ at Calvary!
God is a God, holy and the base of all truth. God gave us the Sabbath for our benefit, to help us. It is very complex, with simple meaning and also deep spiritual meanings we can only understand through the holy spirit. A simple use of the Sabbath is to physically rest after working hard for six days. That is the fleshly reason God gave us this day and only like the tip of an iceberg. The blessings are many and complex.

Aug 2, 2021
I don't think you are truly listening to all that God is telling you. We are told the law is eternal, and you are saying it isn't. We are told that Christ filled every prophesy about him in the OT, and you are saying it finished these prophesies and disposed of them.

The law is a tool we are to use, just like a hammer is a tool. We are not to use it for our salvation. We are to use it to guide us to follow Christ within us. It defines all the sin that causes our death and curses us. We are to listen to it to learn how the kingdom of heaven operates. When we love and follow the Lord, it serves as the guard rails serve on a dangerous road. The law has many uses, we are to rightly divide them and follow the Lord.
Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not understand what the law says? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born through the promise.

24These things serve as illustrations, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children into slavery: This is Hagar. 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present-day Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother. 27For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren woman,

who bears no children;

break forth and cry aloud,

you who have never travailed;

because more are the children of the desolate woman

than of her who has a husband.”c

28Now you,d brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time, however, the son born by the flesh persecuted the son born by the Spirit. It is the same now.

30But what does the Scripture say? “Expel the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”e 31Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

Follow Christ, who nailed the law with His Body to the Cross - only One rose from the dead.

SEE Post #198

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not understand what the law says? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born through the promise.

24These things serve as illustrations, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children into slavery: This is Hagar. 25Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present-day Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother. 27For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren woman,

who bears no children;

break forth and cry aloud,

you who have never travailed;

because more are the children of the desolate woman

than of her who has a husband.”c

28Now you,d brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time, however, the son born by the flesh persecuted the son born by the Spirit. It is the same now.

30But what does the Scripture say? “Expel the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”e 31Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

Follow Christ, who nailed the law with His Body to the Cross - only One rose from the dead.

SEE Post #198
I most certainly am not under the law, the law does not save me, Christ saves me. I accepted His salvation and put Christ in my heart. Christ cannot live with sin, it is my desire to live only through Christ and not sin. I am human, I do what I do not want to do, but I do not want to sin. Do you?

Aug 2, 2021
I most certainly am not under the law, the law does not save me, Christ saves me. I accepted His salvation and put Christ in my heart. Christ cannot live with sin, it is my desire to live only through Christ and not sin. I am human, I do what I do not want to do, but I do not want to sin. Do you?
AMEN - PEACE to You my Brother

Dwell on Post #198 - it is for ALL who call upon the Name above all names - Jesus Christ our LORD

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The sabbath was a shadow and meant for rest but the substance was rest in what Jesus would accomplish at the cross,Salvation at its core is rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ at Calvary!
That sounds Good but where is the evidence from the word of God.

When talking about the shadow laws they are not the same as the ten commandments.
The bible does not contradict itself and say keep the law in one place and don't keep it in another. One law was accomplished at the cross but there is a law today that remains and if it is the 10 commandments the 4th command tells us to remember the Sabbath.

We can't be righteous by keeping any law but if you love Jesus you will obey the law.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
Jas 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Thankfully Jesus will cover us with His righteousness and we will be seen as perfect. Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Satan will use both sides, no need for a law just believe, or keep the laws to gain your own righteousness. both are a trap.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
You only get to choose one - i suggest you choose the One that rose from the Dead.

Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24which things are symbolic. For these are [g]the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27For it is written:
“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

28Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. 29But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
The analogy about Hagar and Sarah is a perfect way of explaining the old and new covenants.

One is the covenant that man tries to do in His own strength (bondage Hagar), The other is the covenant of promise that we accept by faith, (freedom, Sarah).

So if it is about the attitude and the motive you are missing the point.

We can try to keep the law to please God and gain salvation = old covenant.
We can allow God to write the Law on our hearts and gain salvation through His righteousness and faith in Him = new Covenant.

but it seems that your faith in Gods Grace has made the law void. when you can be in freedom and obey because you love Him.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia

SEE Post #198
Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Aug 2, 2021
The analogy about Hagar and Sarah is a perfect way of explaining the old and new covenants.

One is the covenant that man tries to do in His own strength (bondage Hagar), The other is the covenant of promise that we accept by faith, (freedom, Sarah).

So if it is about the attitude and the motive you are missing the point.

We can try to keep the law to please God and gain salvation = old covenant.
We can allow God to write the Law on our hearts and gain salvation through His righteousness and faith in Him = new Covenant.

but it seems that your faith in Gods Grace has made the law void. when you can be in freedom and obey because you love Him.
This is twisting what the Apostle Paul said in Galatians chapter 4

It was and is impossible for salvation thru the Law, as is clearly pointed out, emphasized and sternly warned by the Apostle Paul.

Thus you make your choice in error under the Law and commit the same rebellion as the unbelieving Jews.

Aug 2, 2021
Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.
4Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by,
so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Live by the Law and you will die under it and not in Christ.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
This is twisting what the Apostle Paul said in Galatians chapter 4

It was and is impossible for salvation thru the Law, as is clearly pointed out, emphasized and sternly warned by the Apostle Paul.

Thus you make your choice in error under the Law and commit the same rebellion as the unbelieving Jews.
It is impossible to gain salvation by keeping the law.. i have constantly said it is found in Christ's righteousness.

Was it impossible for sarah to have a baby at her age?...

We can do it our way or Gods way.

By looking to self we throw the Law away, too hard, impossible, and give up on it. Or we try to keep it in our own power and fail constantly.

Or we look to God, and by faith trust in His power to create His image in us.

Of these two options which would be more like the Child of promise.
Its impossible to do on our own but by faith and trust in God we can succeed. Glory to God the sorce of all Good.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Aug 2, 2021
It is impossible to gain salvation by keeping the law.. i have constantly said it is found in Christ's righteousness.

By looking to self we throw the Law away, too hard, impossible, and give up on it. Or we try to keep it in our own power and fail constantly.

Its impossible to do on our own but by faith and trust in God we can succeed. Glory to God the sorce of all Good.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Stay with Christ and His Writing on your heart. Stay away from seeking to keep the Law.

You can't blend the two - See Post #198

It began with Him and ends with Him.

Aug 2, 2021

YES, Sarah - glad you mentioned her = Galatians ch4

You only get to choose one - i suggest you choose the One that rose from the Dead.

Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?
For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written:
“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
Nevertheless what does the Scripture say?
“Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”
So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If i obey the law that identifies sin because Jesus is doing it in me and because i delight in loving God, is that bondage or freedom?

If you believe in Jesus and his righteousness (justification), thats great. But does Jesus want to save you in your sin or from your in.
Bondage to sin is the problem that Jesus wants to free us from. You can throw out the law, ignore the law, and say there is no law which is great for feeling free from sin but the truth is still there. This is continuing in sin that grace might abound. which we are told not to do.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

If it is a transformed heart that delights in keeping Gods law, is that bondage or freedom? If keeping the law results in being free from sin and being like Jesus and shows the love of God in you is that bondage (knowing you are justified by grace through faith)? Our freedom from sin comes in two ways Justification and sanctification. both are by faith. you only focus on justification.

Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Psa 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
That doesn't sound like bondage to me.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
YES, Sarah - glad you mentioned her = Galatians ch4

Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
Nevertheless what does the Scripture say?
“Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”
So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
what makes us children of promise? Being Children of the Spirit.. The Law is spiritual.... not the flesh. "born according to the Spirit,"

The thing that brings us freedom is Christ. Christ died and we can be free from the result of sin (eternal death). Children of promise claim Jesus as their righteousness. Children of bondage don't trust in Gods and Jesus to save them from sin.

But the same question is waiting for you to Answer again.......
Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith?
Because we are free in Jesus ....... we allow Jesus to impart righteousness in us, the law is perfect and holy and Good, So allowing Jesus to write this law on our hearts is a Good thing and not a curse or bondage.

Aug 2, 2021
what makes us children of promise? Being Children of the Spirit.. The Law is spiritual.... not the flesh. "born according to the Spirit,"

The thing that brings us freedom is Christ. Christ died and we can be free from the result of sin (eternal death). Children of promise claim Jesus as their righteousness. Children of bondage don't trust in Gods and Jesus to save them from sin.

Because we are free in Jesus ....... we allow Jesus to impart righteousness in us, the law is perfect and holy and Good, So allowing Jesus to write this law on our hearts is a Good thing and not a curse or bondage.
The Law is weak thru the flesh - the Law is brings awareness of sin and death - the Law is BONDAGE

Aug 2, 2021

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set you free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh,
God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin.
He thus condemned sin in the flesh, so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

i reject the Law and i embrace CHRIST - now the HOLY SPIRIT writes God's Law on my mind and heart thru CHRIST

Follow the Law unto death or follow Christ unto Eternal Life.

Aug 2, 2021
AMEN Brother - Hallelujah and Amen

Aug 2, 2021
I don't think you are truly listening to all that God is telling you. We are told the law is eternal, and you are saying it isn't. We are told that Christ filled every prophesy about him in the OT, and you are saying it finished these prophesies and disposed of them.

The law is a tool we are to use, just like a hammer is a tool. We are not to use it for our salvation. We are to use it to guide us to follow Christ within us. It defines all the sin that causes our death and curses us. We are to listen to it to learn how the kingdom of heaven operates. When we love and follow the Lord, it serves as the guard rails serve on a dangerous road. The law has many uses, we are to rightly divide them and follow the Lord.
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set you free from the law of sin and death.

For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh,

God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin.
He thus condemned sin in the flesh, so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

i reject the Law (weak/no power) and i embrace CHRIST (LIFE)- now the HOLY SPIRIT(POWER) writes God's Law on my mind and heart thru CHRIST

SEE Post #198

Follow the Law unto death or follow Christ unto Eternal Life.

Aug 2, 2021
If i obey the law that identifies sin because Jesus is doing it in me and because i delight in loving God, is that bondage or freedom?

If you believe in Jesus and his righteousness (justification), thats great. But does Jesus want to save you in your sin or from your in.
Bondage to sin is the problem that Jesus wants to free us from. You can throw out the law, ignore the law, and say there is no law which is great for feeling free from sin but the truth is still there. This is continuing in sin that grace might abound. which we are told not to do.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

If it is a transformed heart that delights in keeping Gods law, is that bondage or freedom? If keeping the law results in being free from sin and being like Jesus and shows the love of God in you is that bondage (knowing you are justified by grace through faith)? Our freedom from sin comes in two ways Justification and sanctification. both are by faith. you only focus on justification.

Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Psa 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
That doesn't sound like bondage to me.
Psalm 1 = The Law was given for one purpose = to bring us to Christ = God's Delight and David's Delight.

Delight your self in the law of the LORD which is Jesus Christ who alone keeps the Law of God.

When you drop the law and fully embrace Christ you fulfill the Law of God for the Law says:

Yet now, brethren, I know that you did it in ignorance, as did also your rulers. But those things which God foretold by the mouth of all His prophets, that the Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.
For Moses truly said to the fathers, ‘The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.’
Yes, and all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days. You are sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’ To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.”
Acts 3

The WORD is telling you to let go of what you cannot keep and what does not please God for the law cannot save anyone.

What pleases God is His Son and Him alone = Matt 3:16

When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The Law is weak thru the flesh - the Law is brings awareness of sin and death - the Law is BONDAGE
True the flesh is weak but we are asked to live in the Spirit....
But even if the flesh has a big sway in your life and you transgress the and find yourself in bondage to death... Thats when you call for Jesus the solution and He will give you His righteousness to cover yours.

Flesh = sin = death
Law does not change but the solution is Jesus, You don't need to remove the law in order to have Christs righteousness cover you.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.