God's will

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

ShyForHim

Jody, please stop with the church bashing!! Baptists believe the Bible. She prayed and found this church. When you think your church is the only one that has the right answers, you are in a cult! Think on that!

As for you, Shy, reading the Bible is the one thing you MUST do. Because you won't grow if you don't. You simply are missing the joy of hearing from God every day! I knew when I got saved I MUST read the Bible. Not to be saved, but to learn and grow.

You must commit to reading the word of God. That is our bread, our food. It sounds like you are starving, because a sermon on Sunday or a study group is not enough. Please google a read the Bible plan and stick to it. I just do a simple one, but I read the Bible every year. I have read it 30 times. One for every year I have been a Christian, except for the two years when I first had Rheumatoid Arthritis and was so ill and upset with God I could not read it. It's ok, God forgave me and he has used it for good.

As far as the silence with God, that is a good thing!! Don't let anyone tell you it is not.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

I am just learning to be silent before God and he is teaching me. But I also rely on my Bible. Please get out that Bible, before you die of starvation. You are just hungry, I am sure.

God bless and praying for you!
Yeah, might be that: starvation. I haven't been reading nor studying it, so I'm a bit lost in life. It would be good to find a reading plan but I don't get most of them and they usually aren't about what I need.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The whole Bible is what you need! The Bible is the revelation of Jesus Christ. From start to end. That is where you find more of Jesus.

Here is a start:
Read the Bible in One Year

Bible Reading Plans

https://www.youversion.com/reading-plans?category=whole_bible

Bible Reading Plans - Desiring God

Personally, I just read 4 chapters of the Old Testament and one of the New Testament and that gets me through the Bible with some extra reading in the New Testament. Write down what you read, or put it on a calendar. Keep track and it will get better as you go!

J

jody50

I don't understand why taking the Lord's supper is rituralistic. But even if it is if God says to do it then we better do it. We have to follow God's commands. It is His church. He is the one that made the laws. We need to study the New Testament and make sure we are doing what God told us to do. God doesn't speak directly to us these days only through the Bible and that's how we know which is the true church. I hope you will consider this.

S

ShyForHim

The whole Bible is what you need! The Bible is the revelation of Jesus Christ. From start to end. That is where you find more of Jesus.

Here is a start:
Read the Bible in One Year

Bible Reading Plans

https://www.youversion.com/reading-plans?category=whole_bible

Bible Reading*Plans - Desiring God

Personally, I just read 4 chapters of the Old Testament and one of the New Testament and that gets me through the Bible with some extra reading in the New Testament. Write down what you read, or put it on a calendar. Keep track and it will get better as you go!
Well, better said, I think I need to go through a small process of bible understanding (things that apply to my life and walk with God). I haven't finished NT yet and I was advised not to move into OT for now. (because I need to know Jesus more)

Mar 20, 2013
How much time do you spend reading, learning and researching what the Bible says? That's where we find God's thoughts and you should be connected with a congregation that's also studying God's word. Because we are commanded to not forsake the gathering of ourselves, that's for spiritual encouragement and learning together. You're right, you can't serve him if you don't know him, the preaching work is a "teaching" work. It's not reasonable to expect yourself to do this without someone else with experience and accurate Bible understanding to mentor you along. Christ set the standard and example and his life is recorded in the Bible. But a lot of other valuable instruction, lessons and answers are found there. God can't respond to our prayers if we aren't opening up the connection to our hearts, which is done by opening the guide he gave us, the Bible. God cares for and rewards those living his laws. When we are in it with our whole heart, whole mind, whole soul, we are not doing it for rewards. We do it for love and because we know that we don't have to want what the world wants, behave how the world behaves, desire what the world desires. We give God our all and he will give us what we need and want. The Bible says we will want for nothing. What you're feeling is the absence of Holy Spirit, and that, you pray for when you're willing to make the effort to follow it thru the scriptures. There is no grade at the end or time limit to be finished, it is an ongoing process of growth and learning, and deepening relationship with Christ and his/our Heavenly Father, Jehovah. God has a plan in the works as we speak. But as for immediate benefits for worshiping God, we've all seen how Love overcomes Hate. We know the difference between people living in unity with God's and Christ's thinking vs. people living according to the worlds thinking. Life is just better and we experience joy and peace when we live the way Christ taught us to, even when the rest of the world is ugly and abusive. God doesn't fail when we fail and we need to accept that reality if we are going to prove to be humble. However, You are actually harder on yourself for falling short than God is. He knows that we're all learning a new way of life and that it's challenging when we have the devil and his demon brothers getting into our heads, making us believe that we aren't worthy of worshiping the God of the Bible. You're new, easy pray, that's why you need to build strength, though knowledge and get close to the people you see as spiritually mature. Pray for Gods Holy Spirit to lead you to them.

Mar 20, 2013
That's why I started a Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses. I get the spiritual food I need, right when I need it. I've been going thru my own process over the last few years. I started studying with them because no one else was coming to my door for me to talk about the Bible. I was learning things and they stopped by for two years letting me chew their ears about what I was learning and we would have great discussions. I like that they have multiple consistent weekly meetings too. So people can feast on solid spiritual food necessary to develop and maintain healthy spiritual habits. However, I realize that there are other spiritual tables to dine at, so you need to see where your Bible reading and prayer lead you.

J

jody50

Jody, please stop with the church bashing!! Baptists believe the Bible. She prayed and found this church. When you think your church is the only one that has the right answers, you are in a cult! Think on that!

As for you, Shy, reading the Bible is the one thing you MUST do. Because you won't grow if you don't. You simply are missing the joy of hearing from God every day! I knew when I got saved I MUST read the Bible. Not to be saved, but to learn and grow.

You must commit to reading the word of God. That is our bread, our food. It sounds like you are starving, because a sermon on Sunday or a study group is not enough. Please google a read the Bible plan and stick to it. I just do a simple one, but I read the Bible every year. I have read it 30 times. One for every year I have been a Christian, except for the two years when I first had Rheumatoid Arthritis and was so ill and upset with God I could not read it. It's ok, God forgave me and he has used it for good.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

I am just learning to be silent before God and he is teaching me. But I also rely on my Bible. Please get out that Bible, before you die of starvation. You are just hungry, I am sure.

God bless and praying for you!
I'm not church bashing and I'm not in a cult. I simply read the Bible and follow it. I attend a church that I believe teaches what the New Testament teaches. I've read the Bible many times and study it nearly every day. If a certain church teaches thing that are not found the Bible then I don't believe they are doing what God says to do.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You could say that my relationship with God is awkward, I don't always talk, I find silence often golden. You could say my tears are always prayers instead.

Also, I didn't quite catch up with the rest you've said.
The rest was what Paul was saying in Phillipians 3 where he is stating that he is still learning in his relationship with Jesus in deepening his trust, his hope, his dependency for all things upon Jesus and Him alone.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Well, better said, I think I need to go through a small process of bible understanding (things that apply to my life and walk with God). I haven't finished NT yet and I was advised not to move into OT for now. (because I need to know Jesus more)
Umm, I would at least include Genesis at least up to the 'almost' sacrifice of Isaac. It contains so many foundational themes of the New Testament...creation,fall, entrance of sin, death, promised Redeemer, judgement, grace, walk of faith etc. etc. etc.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Jody, I do apologize for what I said. I came back to delete it but it was too late.

I also attend a church that follows the what the New Testament says. I think the way you are following the New Testament is what I would call "legalism". I follow the Bible and the Holy Spirit. And I know I am right with God. I just don't like to see someone condemn another person for the church they attend. It is not about the church you attend (although a good church is important) but about your relationship with Christ. We ARE the church - all believers. The church is the body of Christ

"Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." 1 Cor. 12:27

Paul was not talking about a church denomination, although I know you think you are part of the line of the apostles and have revived New Testament practices and worship. I would have to gently disagree with you on a LOT of issues.

Never-the-less, I am sorry I over-reacted. And I hope you will forgive me.

Shy, there is nothing wrong with the Old Testament. It is actually the part of the Bible that existed in the days of Jesus and Paul and Peter and John and the other apostles. A lot of it is narrative, very interesting stories, and the Psalms are spectacular for hearing people reach out to God.

But do read the New Testament first. And get an easy version to read, like the New Living Bible or even the Message. The Bible should come to life, if you read a dynamic equivalent version. That just means not a wooden, word-for-word translation. Those are important and necessary, but a new Christian needs to be comfortable reading and to WANT to read.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
This is not encouraging but rather scary. What I've read in here brought me to tears and now I'm being paranoid about my beliefs. If few can be with him, then life loses its sense in following him.
This will sound harsh, but ignore Tommy. He is highly judgmental, and not at all encouraging. When a member in Christ is hurting, confused, suffering and so on we are to uplift them. Not scare them.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound too pushy. But your salvation is the most important thing there is so you want to be sure you are doing the right thing! I only want you to go to Heaven!!!!! I know of the Baptist church.. I believe they teach things different than the New Testament. Do you take the Lord's supper every 1st day of the week? Were you baptized FOR the remission of your sins or to join the church? Do you use musical instruments in worship? The New Testament doesn't authorize that. Just some things you need to think about and study. The Baptist church didn't start until the 1600's not in the New Testament. Please dont take these things the wrong way. Just study.
So what type of church do you attend? Church of Christ?

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I see where you already said you were CoC in another post.

I'm gonna sit back and watch how this one goes.

S

ShyForHim

This will sound harsh, but ignore Tommy. He is highly judgmental, and not at all encouraging. When a member in Christ is hurting, confused, suffering and so on we are to uplift them. Not scare them.
I don't want to believe what Tommy said. We all have our own thoughts but saying such thing to people brings absolutely no comfort, but fear and doubt. Saying that to someone who's not saved wouldn't encourage them to follow Christ..

S

ShyForHim

Jody, I do apologize for what I said. I came back to delete it but it was too late.

I also attend a church that follows the what the New Testament says. I think the way you are following the New Testament is what I would call "legalism". I follow the Bible and the Holy Spirit. And I know I am right with God. I just don't like to see someone condemn another person for the church they attend. It is not about the church you attend (although a good church is important) but about your relationship with Christ. We ARE the church - all believers. The church is the body of Christ

"Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." 1 Cor. 12:27

Paul was not talking about a church denomination, although I know you think you are part of the line of the apostles and have revived New Testament practices and worship. I would have to gently disagree with you on a LOT of issues.

Never-the-less, I am sorry I over-reacted. And I hope you will forgive me.

Shy, there is nothing wrong with the Old Testament. It is actually the part of the Bible that existed in the days of Jesus and Paul and Peter and John and the other apostles. A lot of it is narrative, very interesting stories, and the Psalms are spectacular for hearing people reach out to God.

But do read the New Testament first. And get an easy version to read, like the New Living Bible or even the Message. The Bible should come to life, if you read a dynamic equivalent version. That just means not a wooden, word-for-word translation. Those are important and necessary, but a new Christian needs to be comfortable reading and to WANT to read.
I think I simply need a mentor who will tell me what to read and then explain it to me in detail, like in church. I can read the Bible, but getting the message is not instant.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I think I simply need a mentor who will tell me what to read and then explain it to me in detail, like in church. I can read the Bible, but getting the message is not instant.
There are people who have been in the church for years and still don't "get the message". I'm not saying that they don't know the bible, but when it comes to The Lord we won't know "everything". As humans our knowledge is limited.
A mentor is good though, but just a little warning.... Don't expect man to tell you the answers. All you need to know is in the scriptures. Study and prayer is the best thing. Asking what something means is fine, but don't rely on ones personal interpretation for the Truth. This means if you ask a fellow Christian for an explanation then study what answer they gave you. Don't take their word as truth, but look toward the bible to make sure it lines up with scripture. This isn't saying their wrong but just examining the bible to make sure they're not leading you astray.

H

hattiebod

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound too pushy. But your salvation is the most important thing there is so you want to be sure you are doing the right thing! I only want you to go to Heaven!!!!! I know of the Baptist church.. I believe they teach things different than the New Testament. Do you take the Lord's supper every 1st day of the week? Were you baptized FOR the remission of your sins or to join the church? Do you use musical instruments in worship? The New Testament doesn't authorize that. Just some things you need to think about and study. The Baptist church didn't start until the 1600's not in the New Testament. Please dont take these things the wrong way. Just study.
I know you are really wanting to help, reach out to this young woman, and that is wonderful....you are also right about salvation being the most important thing....but if someone says they are in a relationship with Christ, we need to be gentle as serpents and wise as doves. If we suggest they are not 'right' with God, we will offend. Our ultimate relationship with God is between God and ourselves. I attend a baptist church at the moment and I can assure you they teach the OT & NT. They are very focused on teaching from the Word and in my experience, do this very well indeed. We are not saved by what church we attend, or by taking communion once a week...we are not saved by being baptized, or by attending a church at all, many Christians do not. I do not know how you can advise musical instruments are not advised in church? This sounds a little legalistic, there is nothing more uplifting than a gathering of believers ' making a joyful noise unto the Lord!' :) A church is just a building...THE church is us, Christians. Believers in Christ crucified. Tying ourselves in doctrinal knots is not of Christ. Love Jesus, Love People, Love Life....it's a good place to be. <><

Oct 14, 2012
Being still a newbie Christian, I'm yet learning to do God's will. I think I do know the basics, which are the two important commandments; Love God with all your heart, spirit and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Though personally, I think there's more than preaching the Word, helping others and such.

What could possibly it be? I tried praying, got no answers. I know someone told me that God is taking care of things in my life that are the smallest to me, but big to him. I've changed a lot in the past few months and I still am changing, but I "feel" that there's something missing. I think I'm disobeying God in something small or it's simply that I don't know what he wants.

God’s a pretty big guy…smart too. He knows what you need. He has a lot of things on his plate. You’d be amazed, he can multi task better than all the computers in the world put together. 24/7, he don’t miss a trick. Did you know, he can talk to all the millions of people on earth, in their own language at the same time, and not stammer once?
You, like the rest of us who feel like old timers who have dealt with him longer, will come to know him as what he is…your best friend. He wants you to talk to him like you would talk to a human best friend. Think of him sitting alone with you. His arm around your shoulder listing to all your sob stories, even about the new shoes you picked up at half price.
Your not alone darling…He is always with you.
I know, you think he don’t like you much because you screw up. Well I got news for you kid…you are not alone. There is not one person alive, who doesn’t screw up all day, every day. Jesus did not come to save the good people, because there are no good people…he came to save the bad ones…like you and me.
When you talk to our God, talk to him like your you. It‘s not like your in the Army, and you have to, “Yes Sir, No Sir stuff.” This is your best friend. He‘s the fellow who gave you life. He‘s not some big monster waiting to kick your butt every time you screw up. He’s the one waiting to pick you up, kiss the bobo‘s, and help you move on..

Once some years ago, I was in a new church. The elders asked me to say the payer before the meeting started. I was pretty honored being asked to talk to God for all these people. So before the meeting started, I went around asking folks, “I’ve been asked to say the payer. What do you want me to say?” Funny, no body had anything they wanted me to say? So when I said the payer, it went something like this; “Father, these good folks asked to to come before you, and speak for them…only problem is, they don’t have anything to say? How you been father? I’m pretty good myself. Sorry to have taken your time for nothing…amen.”
Funny, after that folks kind off turned away whenever I came near. Do’t worry kid, he like you.

S

ShyForHim

God’s a pretty big guy…smart too. He knows what you need. He has a lot of things on his plate. You’d be amazed, he can multi task better than all the computers in the world put together. 24/7, he don’t miss a trick. Did you know, he can talk to all the millions of people on earth, in their own language at the same time, and not stammer once?
You, like the rest of us who feel like old timers who have dealt with him longer, will come to know him as what he is…your best friend. He wants you to talk to him like you would talk to a human best friend. Think of him sitting alone with you. His arm around your shoulder listing to all your sob stories, even about the new shoes you picked up at half price.
Your not alone darling…He is always with you.
I know, you think he don’t like you much because you screw up. Well I got news for you kid…you are not alone. There is not one person alive, who doesn’t screw up all day, every day. Jesus did not come to save the good people, because there are no good people…he came to save the bad ones…like you and me.
When you talk to our God, talk to him like your you. It‘s not like your in the Army, and you have to, “Yes Sir, No Sir stuff.” This is your best friend. He‘s the fellow who gave you life. He‘s not some big monster waiting to kick your butt every time you screw up. He’s the one waiting to pick you up, kiss the bobo‘s, and help you move on..

Once some years ago, I was in a new church. The elders asked me to say the payer before the meeting started. I was pretty honored being asked to talk to God for all these people. So before the meeting started, I went around asking folks, “I’ve been asked to say the payer. What do you want me to say?” Funny, no body had anything they wanted me to say? So when I said the payer, it went something like this; “Father, these good folks asked to to come before you, and speak for them…only problem is, they don’t have anything to say? How you been father? I’m pretty good myself. Sorry to have taken your time for nothing…amen.”
Funny, after that folks kind off turned away whenever I came near. Do’t worry kid, he like you.
I appreciate the reply, it made me smile a bit too. I thank everyone here who replied because I know what I need to do at the moment: get myself a mentor and read the Bible and study it. I do have a mentor but he's busy, so I may need to ask my pastor for help in the meantime, or anyone here from CC.