Going Our Separate Ways?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seeking-Christ
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Seeking-Christ

Guest
I've been guilty of this myself, and I'm not sure that I was ever right about this before. You see, two people get into an disagreement on something and then they stop talking to each other. It's like, "if you don't agree with me, then we can't be friends". But is this really the way Christian people should behave with one another? Is is the way humanity should behave with one another? The more I think about it, the more I think we are too quick to throw each other away. Why can't we be more patient with each other? We all come from different backgrounds, and have different ways of seeing things. It seems to me that we don't want to change our ways. What I mean is, interacting with someone that you have a disagreement with is a challenge, and I don't think many of us want that challenge. For those who like to debate, they want to crush their opponent. I'm not a big fan of debates, or heated arguments. But things need to be discussed in a way that people aren't throwing the baby out with the bath water. I really wish people would stop throwing people away over disagreements. If it needs to be done, then it had better be done over something that is extremely important. Because every time you throw someone away, then that also ruins any chance for change of mind.
 
I've been guilty of this myself, and I'm not sure that I was ever right about this before. You see, two people get into an disagreement on something and then they stop talking to each other. It's like, "if you don't agree with me, then we can't be friends". But is this really the way Christian people should behave with one another? Is is the way humanity should behave with one another? The more I think about it, the more I think we are too quick to throw each other away. Why can't we be more patient with each other? We all come from different backgrounds, and have different ways of seeing things. It seems to me that we don't want to change our ways. What I mean is, interacting with someone that you have a disagreement with is a challenge, and I don't think many of us want that challenge. For those who like to debate, they want to crush their opponent. I'm not a big fan of debates, or heated arguments. But things need to be discussed in a way that people aren't throwing the baby out with the bath water. I really wish people would stop throwing people away over disagreements. If it needs to be done, then it had better be done over something that is extremely important. Because every time you throw someone away, then that also ruins any chance for change of mind.
Proverbs 18:19 "An offended brother is harder to win than a fortified city, and disputes are like the bars of a castle."
Matthew 5:23 & 24: …"So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift."

Interesting, isn't it? The one who is not offended needs to reconcile with the one who is. Christians rarely deliberately offend others. People are inclined to take offence, often when no offence is meant. I managed to offend someone I'd never even met! The Lord revealed this to me. I had been ill for weeks and I did not know why. I found out that I'd offended the person through an acquaintance. I visited the offended one and resolved the issue. The illness lifted immediately.