Good books ......any recommendations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mooky
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Guest
Hi all,
I am just wondering what pols favorite books are and why - apart from the bible.....
Some of my favorite books include ; Knowing God, by J I. Packet , Status Anxiety, by Alain de Bottom and The family and the Fellowship, by Warren Wiersbe.I like them because they are all useful in helping me think more clearly about God, myself , the church.and the world we live in.
 
I seriously was going to post a thread about this yesterday but decided against it. I'm sure you've read Pilgrim's Progress. If not, you should. I've also heard Tortured For Christ is really good. I'm sure more will come to me the more I think about it. I hope that helped.
 
I have read Pilgrim's Progress but it was a while ago -so I should reread it.Tortured For Christ I have heard of too -I think it was written by a guy with the last name ,"Wurmbrand'.I should give it a go -thanks for the heads up!
 
Hi all,
I am just wondering what pols favorite books are and why - apart from the bible.....
Some of my favorite books include ; Knowing God, by J I. Packet , Status Anxiety, by Alain de Bottom and The family and the Fellowship, by Warren Wiersbe.I like them because they are all useful in helping me think more clearly about God, myself , the church.and the world we live in.
If you want to read some fiction, I recommend three authors: Willa Cather, Conrad Richter, and Mildred Walker.
 
Fiction isn't of the devil, guys. Go read some fiction as well. It'll do you the world of good.
 
Anything by C.S. Lewis sounds perfect for what you're looking for

And because I have to recommend whenever someone asks, Descent Into Hell by Charles Williams
 
Ah, I still need to read Charles Williams' novels. So much too read!
 
Fiction isn't of the devil, guys. Go read some fiction as well. It'll do you the world of good.
What do you suggest, Tintin?(In the way of Americana for example....like Rum Diary etc.)
 
I'm not sure what Americana and Rum Diary are. If you enjoy suspense thrillers that are thought-provoking, try anything by Dean Koontz. C.S. Lewis is also very good. Steven James is an excellent thriller writer. All of these guys are Christians without having to write sermon novels.
 
You May All Prophesy - Steve Thompson

Good read for anyone who wants to understand prophetic impressions, visions, trances, dreams, visitations, voices, five senses, etc. Everyone is able to receive messages from God even at the lowest level, which is conviction or impressions of the heart. When we think of prophecy, people most generally think of a loud voice from heaven, like it was with Moses. But not exactly the only way. In some to most cases, prophetic senses can come from different streams of things in your life that you might not even know. This is simple, written well, about understanding utterances of the spirit, and interpreting it. You don't have to be a prophet, and this book isn't just for prophets, it's for all those who want a deeper relationship to hear the Lord in their life, and find out how.
 
I suggest the ranger apprintice series if you like books with adventure.... there made for young adults but id suggest them to anyone who likes medevil time adventure books..
 
Depends what you like

Some random books I've enjoyed

A thousand splendid suns : Khaled Hosseini (Takes place in Afghanistan)
The secret garden : Frances Hodgson Burnett (Probably grouped under children's literature, but a wonderful book about how people can change)
Snow in hell : David Aaleskjaer (A book about a young man who left his christian faith, and came back)
The curious incident of the dog in the night : Mark Haddon (The world as seen by a (fictional) autistic boy)
 
I recommend Francine Rivers for Christian fiction. Mostly a female thing but not mushy.

There's also a really good book I never finished titled The Final Quest. Don't remember the author.
 
Frank Peretti has written some interesting novels.

For something definitely non-Christian (but not vulgar in any way), I loved The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. A memoir of her childhood growing up very poor. Heart-breaking, but uplifting.

I love memoirs in general -- there is a good one written by George HW Bush's daughter -- can't remember the title.
 
Anything by C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Tim Keller is reeeeally, really good.

If you're in the mood for romance, Francine Rivers' Redeeming Love will do so many things to excite, anger, and melt you. I've gone through being on the edge of me seat, flipping through with anticipation, to having to shove the book away and forget about it for a while because it would frustrate me terribly, to crying uncontrollably by the beauty and depth of this type of love. Basically a more detailed version of the Book of Hosea and the small reflection who God is, so it can really change how you love others if you allow it.
 
I just read the Harbinger. It was awesome. I also loved the "Left Behind" series. I enjoyed "The Testament" by John Grisham.
 
almost everything Ted Dekker has written is really gripping Christian fiction. the "circle trilogy" is a great place to start, i especially enjoyed "the prophet" too.

"this present darkness" and "piercing the darkness" are fantastic novels about spiritual warfare, pretty popular a few decades ago, real page turners.

in secular fiction, i read a ton of "hard" sci-fi -- if you are into that, anything by Charles Stross is a must-read, very visionary near-future tales. Stephen Baxter is another excellent author in this genre; he puts out some profound thought about human physiology and its relationship to primate evolution. another i thoroughly enjoyed was "the unincorporated man" by Dani & Eytan Kollin - a deep look into questions of property rights and economic models that in the near future may become very important. I hear this is a 4-part series but haven't had time to get into the next books.