Grace is a license to be righteous. People don't need a license to sin. They've been doing that for thousands of years without one.
This focus on greasy grace is usually from the mindset of works-based salvation. Works-based salvationists make it a requirement in order to STAY saved. They will allow a person to be saved without works, but then once saved they need to know they can lose their salvation. Of course, they don't teach this to a person before they get saved, this is the "fine print".
"Hey new convert. I'm glad you are saved. By the way you know how I said it was a free gift? Well, it's free, but there's a few rules you need to follow to keep it..."
This mindset comes from thinking people will sin if they have freedom to do so. It's backwards. Because while they are focusing on keeping people from sinning, God is focusing on righteousness. Grace gives people freedom to love. They are no longer under the bondage of sin.
Of course, many works-based salvations bristle under the thought of telling people they are free of sin. So while they use the same fear they are under to further enslave those who struggle with sin. They don't actually give them a gospel that will set them free. Many times I've found they are jealous of other peoples' freedom. Scripture talks about these people in detail.
But here's my biggest issue:
The idea which I don't agree with at all is essentially in one way or another: "Not only will you not be free, but you're also going to feel shame and condemnation for being just a worthless human." This is the gospel to many religious minded people. And to those who teach freedom, they call, "greasy grace". But I think a grace that doesn't actually set people free is "greasy".[/QUOTE]
This focus on greasy grace is usually from the mindset of works-based salvation. Works-based salvationists make it a requirement in order to STAY saved. They will allow a person to be saved without works, but then once saved they need to know they can lose their salvation. Of course, they don't teach this to a person before they get saved, this is the "fine print".
"Hey new convert. I'm glad you are saved. By the way you know how I said it was a free gift? Well, it's free, but there's a few rules you need to follow to keep it..."
This mindset comes from thinking people will sin if they have freedom to do so. It's backwards. Because while they are focusing on keeping people from sinning, God is focusing on righteousness. Grace gives people freedom to love. They are no longer under the bondage of sin.
Of course, many works-based salvations bristle under the thought of telling people they are free of sin. So while they use the same fear they are under to further enslave those who struggle with sin. They don't actually give them a gospel that will set them free. Many times I've found they are jealous of other peoples' freedom. Scripture talks about these people in detail.
But here's my biggest issue:
The idea which I don't agree with at all is essentially in one way or another: "Not only will you not be free, but you're also going to feel shame and condemnation for being just a worthless human." This is the gospel to many religious minded people. And to those who teach freedom, they call, "greasy grace". But I think a grace that doesn't actually set people free is "greasy".[/QUOTE]