Great snippets on the fear of God. (26 min)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Magenta....You conflated JOSHUA into a context not given.....BOTH are valid, both are to be taught, both are applicable and it is erroneous to say what you said....come on, you know better than that.......

One can reverence the LORD in fear and still serve out of love.........
I did no such thing. Why are you so accusatory? Am I not allowed to ever speak in my own terms?

Dec 12, 2013
I did no such thing. Why are you so accusatory? Am I not allowed to ever speak in my own terms?
Choose you this day whom you shall serve is a DIRECT quote from JOSHUA....so please excuse me for THINKING of that VERSE ;) and I am sorry......

BOTH are valid TRUTHS and WE are to HAVE BALANCE and preach the WHOLE COUNCIL OF GOD <---a DIRECT QUOTE.....it is not a matter of WHOM WE SERVE.....LOVE and FEAR are not a WHOM, but RATHER VALID POINTS from the word of GOD

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Choose you this day whom you shall serve is a DIRECT quote from JOSHUA....so please excuse me for THINKING of that VERSE ;) and I am sorry......

BOTH are valid TRUTHS and WE are to HAVE BALANCE and preach the WHOLE COUNCIL OF GOD <---a DIRECT QUOTE.....it is not a matter of WHOM WE SERVE.....LOVE and FEAR are not a WHOM, but RATHER VALID POINTS from the word of GOD
I did not say they were whoms, you read that in.. I said WHICH. Plus, I do not see you preaching the law. Obviously we speak of what we understand Scriptures to mean as a whole. We are told that fear is the beginning of wisdom, and that perfect love casts out fear. And there are different meanings to the word also. So lay down your attitude and stop pretending you preach the whole counsel, because you do not.

Dec 12, 2013
I did not say they were whoms, you read that in.. I said WHICH. Plus, I do not see you preaching the law. Obviously we speak of what we understand Scriptures to mean as a whole. We are told that fear is the beginning of wisdom, and that perfect love casts out fear. And there are different meanings to the word also. So lay down your attitude and stop pretending you preach the whole counsel, because you do not.
Whatever!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
@Magenta None on your list (post #14) say "Do not fear God" only "Do not fear".
Try this list...

Genesis 42:18 (KJV) And Joseph said unto them the third day, This do, and live; for I fear God:

Job 1:9 (KJV) Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Ecclesiastes 8:12 (KJV) Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him:

Ecclesiastes 12:13 (KJV) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Acts 13:16 (KJV) Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

1 Peter 2:17 (KJV) Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Revelation 14:7 (KJV) Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

2 Chronicles 14:14 (KJV) And they smote all the cities round about Gerar; for the fear of the LORD came upon them: and they spoiled all the cities; for there was exceeding much spoil in them.

2 Chronicles 17:10 (KJV) And the fear of the LORD fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.

2 Chronicles 19:7 (KJV) Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

2 Chronicles 19:9 (KJV) And he charged them, saying, Thus shall ye do in the fear of the LORD, faithfully, and with a perfect heart.

Job 28:28 (KJV) And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psalm 19:9 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psalm 34:11 (KJV) Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Psalm 111:10 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 1:7 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:29 (KJV) For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

Proverbs 2:5 (KJV) Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

Proverbs 8:13 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 9:10 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Proverbs 10:27 (KJV) The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

Proverbs 14:26 (KJV) In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

Proverbs 14:27 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Proverbs 15:16 (KJV) Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.

Proverbs 15:33 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Proverbs 16:6 (KJV) By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Proverbs 19:23 (KJV) The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

Proverbs 22:4 (KJV) By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

Proverbs 23:17 (KJV) Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

Isaiah 2:10 (KJV) Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty.

Isaiah 2:19 (KJV) And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Isaiah 2:21 (KJV) To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Isaiah 11:2 (KJV) And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

Isaiah 11:3 (KJV) And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

Isaiah 33:6 (KJV) And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.

Acts 9:31 (KJV) Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

Matthew 10:28 (KJV) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
@Magenta None on your list (post #14) say "Do not fear God" only "Do not fear".
Try this list...

Genesis 42:18 (KJV) And Joseph said unto them the third day, This do, and live; for I fear God:

Job 1:9 (KJV) Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Ecclesiastes 8:12 (KJV) Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him:

Ecclesiastes 12:13 (KJV) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Acts 13:16 (KJV) Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

1 Peter 2:17 (KJV) Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Revelation 14:7 (KJV) Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

2 Chronicles 14:14 (KJV) And they smote all the cities round about Gerar; for the fear of the LORD came upon them: and they spoiled all the cities; for there was exceeding much spoil in them.

2 Chronicles 17:10 (KJV) And the fear of the LORD fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.

2 Chronicles 19:7 (KJV) Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

2 Chronicles 19:9 (KJV) And he charged them, saying, Thus shall ye do in the fear of the LORD, faithfully, and with a perfect heart.

Job 28:28 (KJV) And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psalm 19:9 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psalm 34:11 (KJV) Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Psalm 111:10 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 1:7 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:29 (KJV) For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

Proverbs 2:5 (KJV) Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

Proverbs 8:13 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 9:10 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Proverbs 10:27 (KJV) The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

Proverbs 14:26 (KJV) In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

Proverbs 14:27 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Proverbs 15:16 (KJV) Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.

Proverbs 15:33 (KJV) The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Proverbs 16:6 (KJV) By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Proverbs 19:23 (KJV) The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

Proverbs 22:4 (KJV) By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

Proverbs 23:17 (KJV) Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

Isaiah 2:10 (KJV) Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty.

Isaiah 2:19 (KJV) And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Isaiah 2:21 (KJV) To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Isaiah 11:2 (KJV) And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

Isaiah 11:3 (KJV) And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

Isaiah 33:6 (KJV) And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.

Acts 9:31 (KJV) Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

Matthew 10:28 (KJV) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The Bible mentions two specific types of fear. The first type is beneficial and is to be encouraged. The second type is a detriment and is to be overcome. The first type of fear is fear of the Lord. This type of fear does not necessarily mean to be afraid of something. Rather, it is a reverential awe of God, a reverence for His power and glory. However, it is also a proper respect for His wrath and anger. In other words, the fear of the Lord is a total acknowledgement of all that God is, which comes through knowing Him and His attributes.

Tell me, since I keep seeing a particular verse given: are believers to fear having both body and soul destroyed in hell by God?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The Bible mentions two specific types of fear. The first type is beneficial and is to be encouraged. The second type is a detriment and is to be overcome. The first type of fear is fear of the Lord. This type of fear does not necessarily mean to be afraid of something. Rather, it is a reverential awe of God, a reverence for His power and glory. However, it is also a proper respect for His wrath and anger. In other words, the fear of the Lord is a total acknowledgement of all that God is, which comes through knowing Him and His attributes.

Tell me, since I keep seeing a particular verse given: are believers to fear having both body and soul destroyed in hell by God?
Not sure how this got off on the wrong foot except maybe you mistook my post #6 where I was actually agreeing with you and adding my 2¢.
I realize there are different forms of fear and I nor the Scriptures were referring to the cringing type of fear or the kind Adam and Eve had after they sinned and went hiding from God in fear.
In my last post I was simply pointing out the fact that most of your verses that said 'fear not', were referring to circumstances, things, people etc., but the Scriptures never say 'Fear not', when referring to God, but rather the opposite.

As far as your question goes, (born again) believers have passed from Judgment into life, but we ought to fear God in the sense that we don"t offend him through sinning by neglect of His Word, avoidance in worship and prayer, lack of love towards Him, grieving His Spirit, hardening our hearts etc.

Dec 12, 2013
Not sure how this got off on the wrong foot except maybe you mistook my post #6 where I was actually agreeing with you and adding my 2¢.
I realize there are different forms of fear and I nor the Scriptures were referring to the cringing type of fear or the kind Adam and Eve had after they sinned and went hiding from God in fear.
In my last post I was simply pointing out the fact that most of your verses that said 'fear not', were referring to circumstances, things, people etc., but the Scriptures never say 'Fear not', when referring to God, but rather the opposite.

As far as your question goes, (born again) believers have passed from Judgment into life, but we ought to fear God in the sense that we don"t offend him through sinning by neglect of His Word, avoidance in worship and prayer, lack of love towards Him, grieving His Spirit, hardening our hearts etc.
I said the same thing about walking in a reverential fear and still have love.....and got raked over the coals.....

Jun 10, 2019
I think when it says the Fear of God is the beginning of knowledge, what knowledge the knowledge that personal actions in this physical life that can impact an afterlife, realizing hey I might suffer for an eternity if I don’t get a grip.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Fear and do not fear are both given. Choose this day which you will serve, love or fear. Because perfect love casts out fear. Do you fear being condemned by God and tossed into the burning lake of fire? No, you do not. And in fact, you would not tell other believers to fear that either.
I agree with what youre saying. Its great that you are in our Fathers love. Thats amazing..

To give a response the bible is prophetic and Living. To those who have the Spirit of God it is life and health, sweeter than honey. But to those who are unbelievers it is condemnation and God is one to be feared. For His children He is love and we do not need fear. If we step outside of His love and His covering we will be corrected as a Father corrects His child.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I agree with what youre saying. Its great that you are in our Fathers love. Thats amazing..

To give a response the bible is prophetic and Living. To those who have the Spirit of God it is life and health, sweeter than honey. But to those who are unbelievers it is condemnation and God is one to be feared. For His children He is love and we do not need fear. If we step outside of His love and His covering we will be corrected as a Father corrects His child.
Thank you, it most certainly is! :D