Grouchy or Grogginess

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Grouchy. Some people wake up grouchy in the morning— this is a fact. That said, is there something deeper going on behind this seemingly never-ending mood? And, does it say anything about the kind of sleep someone is getting?

Sleep inertia is a physiological state of impaired cognitive and sensory-motor performance that is present immediately after awakening.

Sleep inertia. We know the sleep inertia phase lasts 5 to 20 minutes normally but not always. As Allison G. Harvey, Ph.D, professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley and director of the Golden Bear Sleep and Mood Research Clinic, explained to The Huffington Post, this transitional period can, in fact, last longer.

So it is actually quite accurate you are not really you when you first wake up.

Ways to speed up the brain of course can be coffee, black tea, or even just spending time sitting in the sun.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Psalm 108. (2) Awake, lute and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
4 (3) I will thank you, Adonai, among the peoples;
I will make music to you among the nations.
5 (4) For your grace is great, above heaven,
and your truth, all the way to the skies.

Morning, Rs! I can identify with what you were writing on being grouchy, wc i really can be. Just having The sleep disturbed affects feelings early in the morning. I havent had coffee or tea, but abt a third of a cup of yogurt and some water earlier today. Ah, and havent had chance to read the links in the OP=).

But for me, esp these days, after realizing what time it is, i often decide if i can linger 5 min. before rising or 30 min. more hehe. The few mins. gives me parts of songs to the Lord, wc i either speak or sing a line of. ('The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases/ I will sing of the mercies of the Lord, etc.).

Then i start awakening the dawn, not necessarily with the lute and lyre; simply recognizing that God's grace is great, and His truth too, all the way to the skies!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Psalm 108. (2) Awake, lute and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
4 (3) I will thank you, Adonai, among the peoples;
I will make music to you among the nations.
5 (4) For your grace is great, above heaven,
and your truth, all the way to the skies.

Morning, Rs! I can identify with what you were writing on being grouchy, wc i really can be. Just having The sleep disturbed affects feelings early in the morning. I havent had coffee or tea, but abt a third of a cup of yogurt and some water earlier today. Ah, and havent had chance to read the links in the OP=).

But for me, esp these days, after realizing what time it is, i often decide if i can linger 5 min. before rising or 30 min. more hehe. The few mins. gives me parts of songs to the Lord, wc i either speak or sing a line of. ('The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases/ I will sing of the mercies of the Lord, etc.).

Then i start awakening the dawn, not necessarily with the lute and lyre; simply recognizing that God's grace is great, and His truth too, all the way to the skies!
I try not to be but often times I just act grouchy and dont even remember what I did or said. I'll leave the house grouchy for work and when I get home I am okay. Often times my wife will be like I thought you was mad at me.

And I will honestly not even remember it. But that goes in line with the article that talks about how your brain isnt fully awake yet.

Not to make excuses to her but I try to say whatever I say or do just try to remember I dont mean it or have time to process everything.

It takes me about a hour or two to wake up fully. Usually it is when I get to work and have to start actually physically moving to get work done.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I have yet to check on the links=)).. ah ok, so i did look at your 2nd link!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I have yet to check on the links=)).. ah ok, so i did look at your 2nd link!
I added a link? I mean it did come from a website but I didn't know I added 1 link much less 2.... hmmm

Feb 28, 2016
surely we chose our behavior/words when awake -
when adults, we are very responsible for them,
as we will also be judged by them -

I can't even imagine leaving my better-half, my Love from Jesus
at home ALL DAY LONG,
and having them fretting over my being MAD at them!!!

this is a behavior that you might consider getting help with, as it is
un-natural and un-kind, especially if it is a consistant-/continual
behavior...

G

Godsgirl83

I added a link? I mean it did come from a website but I didn't know I added 1 link much less 2.... hmmm
I think she means your signature line links. Sometimes, on some signatures the links used can look like part of the thread......

Feb 28, 2016
one finger points forward,
the rest point backwards -
self-projection...

T

tasha66

I'd get tested for sleep apnoea for persistent grouchiness or grogginess.

Oct 18, 2019
Grouchy. Some people wake up grouchy in the morning— this is a fact. That said, is there something deeper going on behind this seemingly never-ending mood? And, does it say anything about the kind of sleep someone is getting?

Sleep inertia is a physiological state of impaired cognitive and sensory-motor performance that is present immediately after awakening.

Sleep inertia. We know the sleep inertia phase lasts 5 to 20 minutes normally but not always. As Allison G. Harvey, Ph.D, professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley and director of the Golden Bear Sleep and Mood Research Clinic, explained to The Huffington Post, this transitional period can, in fact, last longer.

So it is actually quite accurate you are not really you when you first wake up.

Ways to speed up the brain of course can be coffee, black tea, or even just spending time sitting in the sun.
That's a very interesting post Roughsoul. I've discussed something similar with my sister sporadically. She insists that she just needs coffee; a definite non-morning grouch! :ROFL:

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
That's a very interesting post Roughsoul. I've discussed something similar with my sister sporadically. She insists that she just needs coffee; a definite non-morning grouch! :ROFL:
Haha now you know just give her coffee and some distance and everyone will be okay lol

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I think the Marine Corps has a way of getting a person over it in seconds.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Once a Marine, always a Marine, they do shape many who carry their learning with them for a lifetime.
If one would beat a steel trash can like that for a sister who is having trouble waking up, it would sure take her mind off the grogginess she is experiencing. lol
best wishes