Grow it yourself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

Fundamental

Hello brothers and sisters

At home we are thinking hard on becoming self sufficient. Can we gather some knowledge on how to grow crops, microgreen, herbs and others in this topic? Also in economic ways that save money and resources of this earth. I have no garden. In stead of an Urban Jungle I am working on an Urban Farm :D

I find most consumers of this world have grown lazy and buy stuff for high prices they can easily grow themselves. Chicory does not even demand light and is grown in dark places (basement?).
Mushrooms replace meat so easy and there are species that give you a stronger immunesystem. Reishi mushrooms are not that easy found in stores, but can be grown yourself. They sell supplements of these on high prices because its proven effects on the body.
When you have colonies of mycelium you can grow them endlessly on racks in steril boxes. Supplements needed are not that expensive at all.
Microgreens are basicly seeds you sprout in a jar and eat right after germination. Giving lots of body power.

On one square meter stacked up one family can grow more food then they would think. Also when we replace some food products in the store by making it ourselves again; we have less trash to put outside. I can go crazy on taking the carbage out because most in it is “packing” of stuff we don’t need. ^^

Make our bodies great again MBGA!

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Hello brothers and sisters

At home we are thinking hard on becoming self sufficient. Can we gather some knowledge on how to grow crops, microgreen, herbs and others in this topic? Also in economic ways that save money and resources of this earth. I have no garden. In stead of an Urban Jungle I am working on an Urban Farm :D

I find most consumers of this world have grown lazy and buy stuff for high prices they can easily grow themselves. Chicory does not even demand light and is grown in dark places (basement?).
Mushrooms replace meat so easy and there are species that give you a stronger immunesystem. Reishi mushrooms are not that easy found in stores, but can be grown yourself. They sell supplements of these on high prices because its proven effects on the body.
When you have colonies of mycelium you can grow them endlessly on racks in steril boxes. Supplements needed are not that expensive at all.
Microgreens are basicly seeds you sprout in a jar and eat right after germination. Giving lots of body power.

On one square meter stacked up one family can grow more food then they would think. Also when we replace some food products in the store by making it ourselves again; we have less trash to put outside. I can go crazy on taking the carbage out because most in it is “packing” of stuff we don’t need. ^^

Make our bodies great again MBGA!
I love experimenting , mainly growing my succulents from the leaves that fall...
But this year I bought a big organic tomato , and I took four seeds out of the original one , dried them , popped them in some dirt , and ended up getting three lovely organic toms back :)...

I love anything homegrown ...
I also done the same with some strawberries I had , I picked the seeds off the skin , dried them , and grew my strawberry plants from the seeds...
I got the idea from reading Genesis , where God tells us He has given us the fruit and the seeds to eat and grow ...
...xox...

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
Rosemaryx is right, any vegetables and fruits that has seeds can be grown out from your kitchen, start with tomatoes and chili peppers, or whatever you have in your fridge, make sure you have a good soil. I started with different greens like lettuce, mustard leaves, arugula, spinach, those are seeds that I bought. My friend uses hydroponics and results are amazing.

F

Fundamental

Yes hydroponics is cheap as it only requires an A and B solution.
We grow some seeds out of the kitchen. But we have very little space to grow a descent ammount.

Meanwhile my shiitake spores have been colonizing, but it will be the first time I grow this indoor on woodchips. We want to replace all our meat with fungi and algeas.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
The baggy method is my go to when germinating seeds! I have a higher success and time rate than planting the seed in dirt. It's easier to do with larger seeds because transferring to dirt isn't effortless for me.

To use the baggy method you'll need a zip lock bag and damp paper towel. Wrap the seed in the damp paper towel and place into bag then seal. Store in a cool dark place. Tap water is okay but filtered water has reduced the chance of mold for me.

davg

Mar 15, 2021
That's great, but not everyone has the opportunity to grow their own food. My parents have a private house, there is a garden, we grow fruits and vegetables. The kids love it. The work is not difficult, and it teaches us discipline. Besides, our own is much tastier.