Guilty parent......

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godsgirl83

SO as parents we are responsible for who we allow our children to spend time with.
When they are at school, this is a little more difficult to control. When your child tells you that " 'so-n-so' is my best friend (after Jesus)"
and you see the bad traits of "so-n-so" rubbing off on your child.... it's not good. When you can just get that feeling that this kid is going to be MAJOR trouble in a few years when middle school hits.
So what do you do?
Well, like most things concerning my kids...... I prayed. Something like this:
"Lord, You know this child and what he will be in a few years. You also know MY CHILD and who/what You want him to be.
If his friend is going to pull him away from You and Your plan for his life then please remove this person."
So last day of school rolls around and my son tells me (hadn't mentioned this before hand) that he is so sad for the last day of school. Jokingly I say something like "Oh? Are you going to miss all the lessons and home work?" (this kid whizzes through H.W.)
He then tells me "NO! :cry: It's 'so-n-so's" last day! He's homeschooling next year :cry::cry::cry:........ "
SO while trying to comfort my child, inside I'm all like " YES!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!"
yeah, I felt a little guilty...... but:
I kept having verses like

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."
&
Proverbs 13:20
He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm.

they kept coming to mind.

My son goes to a charter school that you get into by a lottery system. Each class has so many spots and if when someone leaves, the following school the spot is open for someone new to come in.
So, his friend left, that's 1 new spot. And we found out another student moved, so there are at least 2 spots open for NEW FRIENDS!!!!
Praying the Lord will send some good Christian faith filled friends his way............

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I found this post to be kind of sad as your son seemed to be a positive spiritual influence on this kid.

My mom went through something similar with my younger sister who had a good friend in school but who was a little bit on the wild side. My mom allowed my sister to remain friends with her because she thought that she would leave a positive spiritual impression that may affect her friend the rest of her life. Mom was right about this.

You were right to pray for protection for your child. I still pray for my daughter and she is a mom herself with 5 kids.

I wonder if this friend of your son had a mom who prayed also for the Lord to send some good Christian faith filled friends her son's way.

Leastamongmany

Jun 2, 2019
Usa
I can agree with both of you! It is hard in this day and age for children to have positive role models! GG,I understand the moma bear side very well! I also see the opposite that Tourist is talking about! We do not know the future of our children,but God does! It may be in later yrs they meet up again and your son is strong in the faith and can help his once friend. Even though we see these traits in other children we cannot know what influences them! We can however pray for the upcoming generations that God will place in all their paths a Godly role model peace and love

G

Godsgirl83

I found this post to be kind of sad as your son seemed to be a positive spiritual influence on this kid.
I wonder if this friend of your son had a mom who prayed also for the Lord to send some good Christian faith filled friends her son's way.
I had pondered about that many times myself and prayed about it too. They have been together since K and are going into 3rd. The more my sons behavior changed over the years and the more I got to know the boy and his family, the more it became apparent that this was not a good relationship.:(

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
It was wise for you to be concerned and to be praying for your son and His friendships. To me, it looks as though He intervened. Praise the Lord!

In working in the schools, I see first hand how friendships really can change children. Children are very impressionable and you need to be looking out for who they are spending time with.

I wouldn’t feel guilty for feeling that way either. Pray for the friend and His family. That is the best thing you can do for anyone.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Thats good you praying for you son and his friendships. My parents dont pray for me. I have sometimes have problems with clingy friends and going through life trying to extricate myself from such is tricky. But Ive learned along the way. Dont feel guilty, just bless the other child.

L

Locoponydirtman

He may as well go ahead learn it now. Life moves on, people come and go in life. And rare is the friend for life.