Halloween...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I LOVE the Dollar Tree. I can stock up on EVERYTHING for my fridge/ freezer and house. It beats paying 5x the price at Price Chopper or Shaws..
I think they're a blessing also for new parents who may be on limited funds between paychecks. DT sells diapers of all sizes, diaper rash ointment, bottles, binky's, blankets.
One year here they were selling a jarred baby food that sells in health food stores and high end grocers for near $5.00 a jar.
I checked and they weren't even close to expiring.
DT is a great store in many ways. However, the donation claim Godsgirl brought up, and what I've seen in one store, is concerning. That would be really low to take items people had purchased for the children of deployed military families and put them back on the shelf while keeping the money.
I'd wonder if it could even be constituted under the law as fraud?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Not for all...grew up on it...have not watched a game in 30 years.....especially with the fools dishonoring the National Anthem and flag.........
Same here. I was a fan of one team for years. But when CK started his movement and my team followed, I was done.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
OK, thanks. :) I have friends in the UK and Halloween is celebrated on the same day as here. To hear them tell it it isn't at all like you described. Maybe you're just sharing a personal perspective as to attitude toward the events?

CherieR

May 6, 2017
It’s really bad where I am, I tie up the garden gate to deter the trick or treaters,
but it just gets cut through. Either that or they lean over the wall from the neighbours
and knock on the door that way.

My poor aunt has dementia, so you can imagine how awful it is for her when
she keeps hearing knocks on the door. It scares her.

People don’t consider what it’s like for elderly or disabled people who keep getting kids
knocking at their door all evening. It should be banned.

Each year I hope the weather is bad and it’s pouring it down with rain, it’s the only
things that keeps them away.

One year some parents came around with their young kids, who proceeded to knock on the
door, then started kicking it when they got no reply. I was so angry I went out and firmly
told them to go away and stop kicking the door, it’s bad manners.

Their father went mental saying you can’t talk to my kids like that! What! Your in my
garden creating a nuisance and actually you are right it’s you I should be telling off as you
are stood watching them!

Absolutely hate Halloween - in case you haven’t noticed. Lol
Wow. I don't get many trick or treaters that come over here. When we have got kids knocking on the door for Halloween, they were fine. What you are describing though is harassment. I hope that you don't have that bad experience with the treat or treaters again and that this upcoming Halloween is much better for you and safe. ❤

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
https://www.silverdoctors.com/headl...s-celebrate-halloween-and-why-you-should-not/

This article refers to America, but it’s the same in other parts of the world too.

Halloween night is one of the biggest nights of the year for witches, occultists and Satanists. All over America, those that are deep into the dark arts will be contacting the dead, casting spells and conducting blood sacrifices. As you will see below, there is a reason why animal shelters across the country ban the adoption of black cats this time of the year. But even our “innocent” Halloween traditions such as dressing up in costumes, “trick or treating” and carving jack-o’-lanterns all have their roots in ancient pagan practices. And every year the costumes for our young girls become even more sexually suggestive, the horror movies become even more demonic, and the public’s fascination with the occult just continues to grow. It truly is a festival of death, but most people don’t seem to care. In fact, experts are telling us that Halloween has now become America’s second biggest holiday.

On the Wiccan calendar, Samhain is one of the most important points on “the wheel of the year”. Wiccans believe that it is the day when “the god dies”, and subsequently they celebrate his rebirth at Yule.
It is also a time when they believe that the veil between the living and the dead is the thinnest, and so it is an opportune time for them to contact the dead. The following is much more on what Wiccans believe about Samhain from wicca.com…
Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means “End of Summer”, and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat.​
It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two “spirit-nights” each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.​

You may not want to believe it, but animals will be killed and little children will be abused on Halloween night. The following is what one ex-witch has sharedregarding her experiences…
My parents told me before we went around the neighborhood we were going to go by the church (Mormon Church) to get some candy there. The church was very close to my grandmother’s house, and I knew so from going often.​
We went to the church and what happened next made my blood curdle. I was given candy, but that was just a preclude to the sexual abuse that would happen in a satanic ritual. On Halloween Satanists use young children, such as myself, as sexual idols to worship. Other children receive a far worse fate. Death. I know for some this is more than you can even think to believe, but it is true. I can barely write these words because the pain of the truth is almost more than I can bear. If it wasn’t for the grace and love of Jesus Christ, I would not even be here writing this at all.​

For the record, Satanists absolutely love Halloween. The following comes from the official Church of Satan website…
Satanists embrace what this holiday has become, and do not feel the need to be tied to ancient practices. This night, we smile at the amateur explorers of their own inner darkness, for we know that they enjoy their brief dip into the pool of the “shadow world.” We encourage their tenebrous fantasies, the candied indulgence, and the wide-ranging evocation of our aesthetics (while tolerating some of the chintzy versions), even if it is but once a year. For the rest of the time, when those not of our meta-tribe shake their heads in wonder at us, we can point out that they may find some understanding by examining their own All Hallows Eve doings, but we generally find it simpler to just say: “Think of the Addams Family and you’ll begin to see what we’re about.”​
Satanists have to first believe in the Christian God in order to worship His adversary.
The CoS is an atheist group. Always have been. LaVey started his so called church during the 60's when the free love movement and all manner of other revolutionary ideas in young peoples minds, along with the anti-war movement, were getting started. His was an intention to further exploit the anti-establishment movement.

With regard to the so called witch, anyone can claim to be a witch. However, in Wicca there are doctrines and rules and those do not in any way include what is described in the article above. Animal sacrifice, etc...
Sick people call themselves witches and do those kind of things. However, Wicca itself does not promote such evil.
In fact, nor did Anton LaVey. He had a few choice words for the psychopathic personalities that thought murdering children and killing innocent animals would please Satan.

Overall, the author of that article appears to not have paid a lot of attention to the actual details of Samhain, as honored by pagans and Wiccan's.
There's a clear bias slant against the detailed facts as pertains to those communities. This does not serve anyone.

M

Miri

OK, thanks. :) I have friends in the UK and Halloween is celebrated on the same day as here. To hear them tell it it isn't at all like you described. Maybe you're just sharing a personal perspective as to attitude toward the events?

Nope, everything I said is correct about how people celebrate Halloween where I am.
But if you want to come to my house and spend 3 hours listening to people
knocking at my door non stop, while trying to calm my aunt down, then be my guest.

Here are just a few news articles from different parts of the U.K., there were many more
to pick from.

The problem is that as well as Halloween on the 31 Oct. We also have mischievous night
on 4th November and bonfire night 5th November. Halloween and mischievous night
seem to now blend together and both are just an opportunity for many to create trouble.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-taunted-cruel-Halloween-trick-treaters.html
But Halloween and Bonfire Night are two of the busiest nights of the year for our call handlers.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/26/plea...n-be-really-stressful-for-old-people-7029135/

Halloween is meant to be a bit of harmless fun, yet according to insurance claims data, it is the worst day of the year for malicious damage to your home. Ten years of claims data from Aviva reveals a rise of 150pc in damage claims to the home, with damage to cars car thefts rising by 50pc and 20pc respectively in the week between Halloween and Bonfire Night.
Figures also reveal a 28pc increase in burglary claims on Bonfire Night, making it the worst night of the year for break-ins.
Research conducted by the insurer found that the week from 30 October to 5 November last year saw the number of reported burglaries rise by 26pc when compared with the weekly average for the rest of the year.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
First – unless you live in certain parts of the UK, Ireland, or North America, I’m not entirely sure why you’d even be celebrating Halloween. Gotta love capitalism!

Here’s my two kopecks re Halloween – sorry if it comes across as rather blunt, but…..

It’s difficult to ignore the onslaught, predominantly from various religious sites (YouTube in particular), that starts about this time every year. The internet begins to be flooded with articles and videos concerning the supposed origin of many of the present-day traditions associated with Halloween. Some are subtle in their message, whilst others loudly tout it as being nothing short of the “birthday of Satan himself.”

In attempting to comment on the complete misunderstandings (due to either lack of research, or being taught incorrectly), and utter absurdities circulating about the supposed origins of both Halloween and its (imagined supposed) predecessor Samhain, as well as their associated customs, it is honestly difficult to know where to even begin; to encompass it all would quite easily make for a small book.

Many churches/pastors simply rehash this nonsense year after year until it becomes to be accepted as ‘truth’. When you’re simply repeating material that clearly has not been researched just to promote their agenda and using what amounts to ‘scare tactics’ to boot, they only succeed in making their particular religious path seem rather foolish at best, and at worse, somewhat deceitful.

Modern Halloween as we know it today is just that – a modernly invented ‘holiday’ combining elements of an earlier American (unfortunate) tradition called “Hell Night” (a carryover from UK and Ireland's "Mischief Night", but in the US it became quite bad) , along with a healthy dose of good old “Hollywood” thrown in for good measure. Virtually all American customs associated with Halloween originated right around the 1920’s - 1930’s or so. While there are some vestigial elements from pre-Christian religions in some of the customs (bobbing for apples for example), the modern costumes, the blood, the gore, the reveling in death and destruction, the candy, even ‘trick or treat’ itself, dates no earlier than 1900’s America. In short, it’s a relatively new phenomenon and represents a mix of cultures, capitalism, and accommodation.

It's simply not a holiday that has close ties to the ancient past, nor does it have some 'pagan' antecedent, nor is it a continuation of several ancient customs, as some would have one believe. Modern Halloween is no more “pagan” than Labor Day or Columbus Day.

Many people like to associate modern Halloween with three things: The old Celtic New Year’s celebration of Samhain (in asserting that most of Halloween’s customs can be traced to Samhain celebrations); Satanism; and All Saints Day (asserting that the early church established the holiday to “Christianize” Samhain). These associations, however, are more wishful thinking than actual fact.

To say that modern Halloween’s connection to Samhain is incredibly tenuous at best, would be an overstatement. Despite the horror stories one hears, the truth is that incredibly little is actually known about it. To attempt to connect Samhain to the traditions of modern Halloween is, for the most part, fanciful fallacy. The connection just isn't nearly as strong as some would apparently like it to be, but it seems that this supposed connection is also from where the bulk of the absurdities describing Halloween’s “pagan past” derive.

What's interesting is that a definite shift is noticeable in many of these videos. The shift now seems to be away from the erroneous and utterly ridiculous “Samhain as ‘Celtic Lord of the Dead’” to the equally erroneous and ridiculous “Samhain as the ‘Celtic Feast of the Dead’”. It seems one just replaced the other.

By most historical accounts, Samhain (that’s SAU-win , by the way) seems to have been a time to honor ancestors, prepare for winter, and celebrate the final harvest of the year. That sounds a lot like most European holidays from October-January. It was also a time of year when the leaders of the day held assemblies. One can only guess at topics of said assemblies, but it seems reasonable to assume the usual political topics of the day. Indeed, the word ‘Samhain’ itself in Irish Gaelic (Samhuain in Scotts Gaelic, and Sauin in Manx Gaelic) simply means “summer’s end”. In these languages, it is also the name for the entire month of November (e.g. mìos an t-Samhain in Scotts Gaelic). A more recent etymological proposal is that it derived from the Old Irish 'samana' meaning 'gathering'. This Samhain shares a date with Halloween and perhaps a “feeling”, but really nothing more.

And, yes, Halloween's association with Satanic worship and practices though real, is a very modern phenomena (1960's to present); it's not old at all and, of course, has zero connection to the pre-Christian Celtic holiday Samhain. Most people today who observe Samhain regard Satanists with just as much disgust and disdain, indeed, if not more so, than Christians do - Satanists are responsible for appropriating this day to promulgate their beliefs and completely twist the day into something it simply never was. Not to defend them in any way, but to be completely fair, it should be noted that most supposed practices of these groups are, again, based upon complete misinformation and supposition; not actual fact. Many of their assumed and supposed practices stem from the so-called “Satanic Panic”, a conspiracy theory that swept across America in the 1980’s and early 90’s. It seems however, that some Christian denominations are doing their darndest to bring it back. Interviews and ‘testimonies’ from ‘Satanic Panic’ holdovers (and some relative newcomers) such as John Ramirez are just one of many examples. The National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect conducted a study led by University of California psychologist Gail Goodman,, which found that among 12,000 accusations of satanic ritual abuse (SRA), there was no evidence for "a well-organized intergenerational satanic cult, who sexually molested and tortured children", although there was "convincing evidence of lone perpetrators or couples who say they are involved with Satan or used that claim to intimidate victims."

Lastly, All Saint’s Day - no matter how much some people like to promote and honestly believe that just the opposite is true, All Saint’s Day/All Souls Day, Halloween, and Samhain developed completely independent of each other. That’s just historical fact. To try and put it in a nutshell, the date of 1. November for All Saint's Day was practiced in continental Europe long before the date was formerly fixed by the RCC to November 1st, and long before said change got to what is now the UK & Ireland; which was centuries after the time of Druids and Samhain proper. In addition, most people seem not to realize that Samhain itself is a movable feast day; the exact date varies from year to year depending on when the autumnal equinox falls. This year, Samhain proper falls on 7.Nov. To assert that the establishment of All Saint’s Day (and All Souls Day on 2.NOV) was the early church’s attempt to “Christianize Samhain” borders on the ridiculous. Why would the early church change a major feast day affecting all of Western Christianity just to accommodate a small group of Christians who lived on, what would be considered at that time, some remote group of islands in the middle of nowhere far from Rome? Again, all three holidays, Halloween, All Saint’s Day, and Samhain share a common date and perhaps a “feeling”, but really nothing more.

Samhain/Halloween is to some people a very spiritual and magickal time of the year; for some it’s a time of fun and candy, perhaps a way to celebrate Fall in general. Still for others, perhaps a time to contemplate their own mortality since the modern holiday mocks death. Some perhaps are not quite sure what to make of it and prefer to steer clear of it, but however you wish to celebrate it….or not – Halloween, in and of itself, is only ‘evil’ if one chooses to make it so.

OK - off soapbox. Again, just my two cents worth; it just amazes me to see this 'misinformation' (I'll be nice) repeated year after year.

The UK also has Guy Fawkes Night (a/k/a Bonfire Night) on 4. or 5. November. Not sure how rowdy that one is.

M

Miri

I think many are missing the point.

Whatever it’s origins, why would Christian families encourage their children to dress up as zombies, ghosts, demons, vampires, and go knocking on strangers doors begging. That’s pretty much what happens.

And don’t get me started on older kids and teens who think it’s fun to throw fireworks into your garden as part of the trick side of things.

Not to mention all the horror movies, blood and guts which get out on TV increasingly at Halloween.

Why would any Christian want to partake in a celebration of horror and evil.

G

Godsgirl83

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

L

Locoponydirtman

Titus 1:15

Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Worship and honor are not things done by hands, but in the heart.
No Christian that is out and about on Halloween, trick or treating, or going to haunted houses, and such are in the mind or heart worshiping witch craft or evil.
What do Christians do? We engage in the redemptive work of the Lord, so we redeem the times, and the holidays and the celebrations, by bringing purity and innocence and joy to a once feared and dreaded day.

What have we to fear of death, though this body die we shall live on, and thus death becomes a door to walk through to life rather than the terminus of doom.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
I watched a video, by Answers in Genesis, about Halloween and they put up a picture with a black cat, pumpkin, and full moon. Then asked the question what is wrong with picture.?. Real answer was nothing these are all things God created , but have been subject to halloween... Therefore, they have become demonic because of the world's influence on Oct. 31st.

Not in video.... Sounds stupid but soft heart...lol... but my heart pray for black cats.... it is sooooo sad and rediculas how many die on halloween just for being black.....

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Growing up in Alberta in the 60s, Hallowe'en was a very innocent day. Kids dressed up like clowns or princesses, cowboys or firemen, collected money for UNICEF and lots of candy. I don't think anyone celebrated the evil aspects that are present today. Although one year my father brought home a full sized real skeleton, from the university, which scared a lot of kids.

After I became a Christian, my husband and I decided not to participate with our children. I made them costumes they wore throughout the year. I ice t ones. My daughter wore her costumes from figure skating shoes. I also bought a large amount of candy and divided it between the 4 kids. I found a great recipe for pumpkin cookies, and 4 of them would be giant cookies the kids could decorate with smarties and icing. They kids weren't happy, so we would also explain why we didn't celebrate it.

It ended up being the source of great resentment, and one day my husband reversed our decision. The kids went out and he handed out candy. I still disagree with Hallowe'en, so it is his responsibility. The last 2 houses we lived in have been in more mature neighbourhood since, and we got few to no kids.

Where we live now, about 3 blocks away, is a family neighbourhood. They put up scary decorations and kids come from everywhere. I went with my grandchildren one year, and I was honestly appalled at the decorations on the houses and yards, and all the evil costumes. And the fascination of the kids with the scary decorations. So much more than at Christmas. I feel Hallowe'en is actually getting worse and worse, with too many adults worshipping the day! It is a portal to Satanic evil, and Christians should not be involved with it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ive never celebrated it as child and wouldnt as a christian although it sems to be popular with the shops now selling stuff to do with it. But in general I try to avoid all shops from end of october to end of december.

It seems to be an american import we have enough trouble to deal with on Guy Fawkes day with fireworks, some of the more dangerous ones like sky rockets and bangers are banned. I think as with any kind of festival and celebration , including christmas, and easter people just go overboard. For unbelievers they will just graviate toward the darker aspects of it I suppose and miss the point of it.

The word holiday actually comes from the word HOLY Day. GOd has special feasts for his chosen people that scripture talks about...passover, day of trumpets, feast of tabernacles etc. He didnt have a day where people dress up in scary costumes and eat tooth rotting candy and play tricks on each other. Although ive heard Purim has some ghoulish aspects to it.

If you read the book of Esther Haman does come to a bad end.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Why honner the dead?
I'd rather honner Jesus the living.
Matt 8:21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Eccl 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I can't see anything pure, truthful, or praiseworthy in Halloween. If your honest it must be a tool of satan, because there is nothing in it that brings us closer to Jesus, but lots that glorifies Satan.

L

Locoponydirtman

Maybe we should just teach our children the difference between reality and games, so they can play games with out confusing them with reality.
So they can play go fish or bridge, or spades with out thinking they are in danger of tarot. So they can watch Harry Potter without thinking that it is real witchcraft.
There was this guy who was head of the church in Geneva, who got all hung up in this stuff, and made it an offence with punishment to play cards, sing songs, and dance, and the place became a horrific place to live because of the theocracy there in those days. Someone posted the death tolls in another thread.

I personally am glad that I have liberty in Christ, that while I don't participate in Halloween, that if I decided to go to a haunted house, or costume party I can, because I know it's at pretend, like watching a movie, or playing a game. That I can redeem the time.
I think this thread has caused me to decide to go to a Halloween costume party, maybe as John's head on a platter.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
Why honner the dead?
The idea of honouring the dead is more one of honouring one's ancestors. Probably not the answer you might expect and one that comes more from the realm of genealogy, but to that question I would say:

That you might remember them. Because you are they, and they are the sum of who you are.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
The pagan rituals of celebrating the dead go back to Bible times for the heathen. Then the "church" (term used loosely) Catholic Church honored the dead Saints and because the dates were so close they merged as one.

A few questions here...

Should Christians participate in Halloween? Especially with kids... what do you do?

Is it Biblical at all to honor the dead? Many cultures do...
In America, Halloween is the third most celebrated day of the year behind Christmas and Thanksgiving. That means Halloween is celebrated more than Easter. But truth be told, every day is Easter, for He is Risen!

CherieR

May 6, 2017
In America, Halloween is the third most celebrated day of the year behind Christmas and Thanksgiving. That means Halloween is celebrated more than Easter. But truth be told, every day is Easter, for He is Risen!
Amen. :D

Oct 24, 2019
Halloween racist. Celebrate the living saints of Jesus not the spirits of the dead and monsters. Praise Jesus he is stronger than Halloween.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

Are not all holidays that are man made pagan? Beware your enemy goes about like a roaring lion,seeking whom he may devour! 1Pet.5:8
I like scary movies though......🙉