Harmonizing the resurrection accounts about Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When we go through the resurrection accounts in the Gospel, we notice that they are not all identical. There is correspondence in some cases, and no correspondence in others. The important point to note is that none of the Gospel writers were actual eye-witnesses of what happened at the tomb, and even the apostle John (“the other disciple whom Jesus loved”) arrived at the tomb after being informed by Mary Magdalene. However, if all the accounts are compared (which were given by divine inspiration), we can certainly harmonize them as below:

1. The sixth day Sabbath was over
(Matthew & Mark)

2. The women came to the sepulchre (tomb) very early in the morning on the first day of the week
(Matthew, Mark, Luke) with sweet spices to anoint Christ (Mark and Luke).

3. All the women which came with Jesus from Galilee appeared at the tomb
(Matthew mentions two, Mark mentions three, John mentions only one, but Luke mentions all).

4. Before the women arrived there was a great earthquake
(only mentioned by Matthew).

5. Then an angel of the Lord descended from Heaven and rolled away the huge (“very great”) stone which had been place at the door of the sepulchre to seal it off
(only Matthew).

6. The angel was wearing a long white garment, and his face was radiating brilliant light (“as lightning”)
(Matthew & Mark).

7. The appearance of the angel put fear into the hearts of the men guarding the tomb, who trembled severely, and then fell down as though they were dead
(Matthew).

8. The first angel (called a “young man” by Mark) sat down on the stone which he had rolled away
(Matthew & Mark), and was joined by another angel almost immediately (Luke).

9. The women entered the sepulchre, did not find the body of Jesus, and were perplexed
(Luke).

10. Then the women saw the first angel sitting, who spoke to them and told them not to be frightened
(Matthew & Mark).

11. Then the women saw the two angels standing within the tomb, were frightened, and bowed themselves to the earth
(Luke). They were then told by the angels (1) they were not to fear, (2) the angels knew that they had come to see Jesus of Nazareth who had been crucified, (3) that He is not here, but is risen, (4) come see the place where the Lord lay, (5) they were to remember what He had told them in Galilee regarding His crucifixion and resurrection on the third day, (6) that they were to go quickly and tell the other disciples that He is risen from the dead (Matthew, Mark, & Luke).

12. All the women fearful, trembling, and very joyful at the same time, and ran quickly to tell the apostles (the eleven) and all the rest of the disciples the good news
(Matthew, Mark, and Luke). However, they did not communicate this to anyone else for fear (Mark). The response by the disciples was disappointing, and the news was called “idle tales” (Luke).

13. It would appear that Mary Magdalene did not really believe the angels, ran quickly to Peter and John, and reported what the angels had said, but in her opinion
“They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him...” (Luke and John). But Peter was wondering as to what was true and decided to go to the sepulchre (Luke).

14. She then accompanied Peter and John back to the tomb
(John). These two apostles saw the empty tomb and were convinced that Christ was risen, but Mary Magdalene still did not believe, and stood weeping outside the tomb (John).

15. The two angels then appeared to Mary and asked her why she was weeping. When she explained
“Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him”, Jesus was constrained to appear to Mary as soon as she turned around. Instead she thought He was the gardener, after which He called her by name, and she recognized Him. She was then warned to not touch Christ, but to go and tell the others that she had seen Him and spoken to Him. (John)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I believe that John 20:8 refers to the fact that only one of the two "[he] saw [the grave clothes], and believed," which was specifically said of "that other disciple," but which was not said of Peter.

Also, by the way, I have the less common view, being that "that other disciple" (and all of its related passages [and yes, I've heard all the arguments surrounding this]) was not "John," but someone else...

[Mk16:14 - "Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen."]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ EDIT: [Mk16:14 - "Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." (context of vv.15-20 also)]

Adding... "Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils."

[I keep getting knocked off of being "logged in" for some reason ;) ]

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Why go through these torturous efforts to twist Scripture so that it ''fits'' into some kind of News report? The main point of the resurrection accounts is to confirm that Christ rose from the dead and there were eye witnesses. Its easy for us to compare the four Gospel accounts and mess about with them but the early Christians didn't have that luxury. If their Churches had any written Gospel at all it would probably been the only one they knew so all these speculations wouldn't have arisen. The problem today is that people fail to understand that the truth found in the Bible is spiritual not necessarily factual its there to teach us Spiritual truth.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
The problem today is that people fail to understand that the truth found in the Bible is spiritual not necessarily factual its there to teach us Spiritual truth.
Is that a fact.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
In my experience yes. Stick around on this site long enough you will see for yourself. The bible is written with two main levels
of understanding. Some people suffer from the Nicodemus syndrome. John 3:4

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I believe that John 20:8 refers to the fact that only one of the two "[he] saw [the grave clothes], and believed," which was specifically said of "that other disciple," but which was not said of Peter.
The Scripture seems to imply that Peter believed, but states specifically that John believed.

Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

One could conclude that having seen this evidence, Peter was satisfied. But then again, Paul specifically says that "He was seen of Cephas" (Peter), which could suggest that because Peter did not believe, Jesus appeared to him specifically, just as He did to Mary Magdalene.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why go through these torturous efforts to twist Scripture so that it ''fits'' into some kind of News report?
Harmonizing Scripture is not twisting Scripture at all. And while the spiritual aspects is definitely important, it helps to get the whole picture together, especially which scoffers say that the accounts contradict each other.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Harmonizing Scripture is not twisting Scripture at all. And while the spiritual aspects is definitely important, it helps to get the whole picture together, especially which scoffers say that the accounts contradict each other.
What you call Harmonizing is actually falling into the critics trap. You like them are treating the Gospels as if they were eye witness reports by a Newspaper journalist. They were never meant to be completely factual historical details but were written as teaching
tools for use in weekly worship services and for Christians to celebrate the Jewish Festivals. Marks Gospel was the first to be written
and Matthew then Luke used it as the bases for their own versions. I don't have the time or space to explain all this but Luke himself
states at the start of his gospel that others had put down an account of christ's ministry.

The fact alone that there are four different Gospels show this. If God had wanted to write a history book about the life of Jesus he would have had one continuous account made. As it is we have four different accounts covering just three and a half years of his
life apart from his birth and him age twelve.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The Scripture seems to imply that Peter believed, but states specifically that John believed.
Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

One could conclude that having seen this evidence, Peter was satisfied. But then again, Paul specifically says that "He was seen of Cephas" (Peter), which could suggest that because Peter did not believe, Jesus appeared to him specifically, just as He did to Mary Magdalene.
I can certainly understand why you might think that assumption to be correct (meaning, the bold where you suggested "imply"), but I see it as showing just how precise the Spirit was guiding the writer's (and writers') pen. Because it says "he [that other disciple] SAW, and BELIEVED," [a singular person "saw, and believed"] this more strongly implies that Peter (when he "saw the linen clothes lying") didn't happen to believe [yet], and this agrees with the later point [when Jesus] "upbraided them [the eleven] with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen Him after He was risen."
[and whereas the word "first" is used of MM, "lastly" was used when speaking of these "eleven" in the context of Mk16:14-20 and that particular setting(/timing)]

Now, I believe a person can certainly come to faith in Christ by means of just ONE gospel (or parts thereof), but for increased faith, and JOY beyond compare[!], it is wonderful to have and examine all of them together and to see the precision of the Holy Spirit's ______[<---lacking the word I'm aiming for, here :D ] (...and I've stated in the past how His [Jesus'] TWO ascensions [passive ON FIRSTFRUIT (His Resurrection Day) and then His later "[ACTIVE] ascension" in Acts 1, as VISIBLE, paints a wonderful picture of future fulfillments yet to take place--with its "40 days" (trial/testing) intervening]

Nice OP. Thanks for posting! :)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ EDIT: SORRY ^ I meant "[ACTIVE] ascension" ON FIRSTFRUIT/RESURRECTION DAY, and "[passive] ascension" 40 days later (Acts 1, VISIBLE). I had it reversed there ^. (Not enough coffee yet! LOL Could really use a "10-minute editing time" instead, also. lol)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
To family members here……...you know who you are.

Our Father has kept all He would have us have in print since the first words were written down per His inspiration.

In so doing He has allowed all of us to read and understand what He would have each of us know by the Holy Spirit. You know and learn what He would have you learn as you progress in His perfecting you, me an d all.

I love to read various verions of the Word in various languages, but the undersanding for me is no different than for any other member of the Family.

I could never tell another which version of the Word to read, but God leads each of uts…..now we talk and praise together of what He has given us.....no languages necessary if the Holy Spirit lead s. Praise God, amen.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
What you call Harmonizing is actually falling into the critics trap. You like them are treating the Gospels as if they were eye witness reports by a Newspaper journalist. They were never meant to be completely factual historical details but were written as teaching
tools for use in weekly worship services and for Christians to celebrate the Jewish Festivals. Marks Gospel was the first to be written
and Matthew then Luke used it as the bases for their own versions. I don't have the time or space to explain all this but Luke himself
states at the start of his gospel that others had put down an account of christ's ministry.
If they werent meant to be factual historical details, how can we trust the teachings?

If they arent factual historical details, I will never read the gospels ever again, because how can I know the words of Jesus recorded there are factual?
Thats how it works with me atleast, show me one error in the gospels and im out. I believe its 100% or 0% deal.

If its not factual, its not spiritual.

Do you believe in biblical inerrancy?

YDo

Dec 9, 2018
In my experience yes. Stick around on this site long enough you will see for yourself. The bible is written with two main levels
of understanding. Some people suffer from the Nicodemus syndrome. John 3:4
I don't have your experience on this board but I agree with you.
Also, the question comes up quite a bit as to the different scriptures that report the same event in different ways. The answer is typically that the accounts are given by different people and their perspective or presence at those events. It doesn't mean the events they report didn't happen or aren't true.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
This problem has been solved in the Nut Universal Translation based on the Texas Deceptus soon to be released by the DTS.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
If they werent meant to be factual historical details, how can we trust the teachings?

If they arent factual historical details, I will never read the gospels ever again, because how can I know the words of Jesus recorded there are factual?
Thats how it works with me atleast, show me one error in the gospels and im out. I believe its 100% or 0% deal.

If its not factual, its not spiritual.

Do you believe in biblical inerrancy?
This discussion is not about the words of Jesus its about details of events, which change from Gospel to Gospel. The main point I originally made was that the accounts are there primarily to proclaim Christs resurrection. Trying to figure out who came to the
tomb first or how many women there were at the tomb and who they were is secondary to the main point of the account being there.
there are copies of Marks gospel that end with no resurrection story at all. They end with the women arriving at the tomb and finding it empty.

The Bible is a collection of spiritual books that reveal our path back to salvation and eternal life. Jesus told the Jewish leadership
that they search the scriptures because in them they believed they would find eternal life and that they spoke about himself. He also explained this to the Disciples on the road to Emmaus. The Gospels portray Jesus as the living embodiment of the Torah and of the true Israel. The whole Bible contains Types and shadows of himself. That to me is where the inerrency lies.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
This problem has been solved in the Nut Universal Translation based on the Texas Deceptus soon to be released by the DTS.
LOL Is there a chain reference study edition with Schofields notes available?