Has anyone ever heard of the Azusa street revival?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

The bible never mentioned being slain in the spirit. When a person is slain in the spirit, someone (pastor, minister, etc.) lays hands on them, and they fall to the ground. I believe God takes over and they cannot control it and falls, I guess. It's a rather interesting phrase.
If it is God taking over, shouldn't the person be changed afterward?

My dad, a very practical man, (chemical engineer level of practical), was slain in the Spirit. Nothing changed except it amused him it happened to him too.

J

JB2018

If it is God taking over, shouldn't the person be changed afterward?

My dad, a very practical man, (chemical engineer level of practical), was slain in the Spirit. Nothing changed except it amused him it happened to him too.

Yes, I think you're right about the person changing. When there is a true encounter with Jesus, there will always be a change.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
This never happened to me, but I remember this: The men doing it would try to push me down. I remember thinking, if this is from God, why does He need their help to push me down? I stopped going up to the men doing such, and eventually stopped going to their churches. Like everything else I didn't understand, I searched the scriptures to try and find support for this act. I found nothing positive, only negative, as in the garden of gethsemane. And in that case, Jesus didnt even touch them. So, like everything else I couldn't find in the bible, I put that aside as not for me. Maybe it's for others, I don't know.

7seasrekeyed

I think the Bible lays out the way things should be done...decently and in order

but you know, I mean, that might cramp some people's style

yeah...read a book about that revival

revivals are great at the time...but it is what goes on after that shows what actually went on

I'll just stop there and I can hear some people saying thank you..LOL!

J

JB2018

This never happened to me, but I remember this: The men doing it would try to push me down. I remember thinking, if this is from God, why does He need their help to push me down? I stopped going up to the men doing such, and eventually stopped going to their churches. Like everything else I didn't understand, I searched the scriptures to try and find support for this act. I found nothing positive, only negative, as in the garden of gethsemane. And in that case, Jesus didnt even touch them. So, like everything else I couldn't find in the bible, I put that aside as not for me. Maybe it's for others, I don't know.

As I said before, there are no scriptures that says a person can be slain in the spirit. And, have you ever been touched by God?

J

JB2018

I think the Bible lays out the way things should be done...decently and in order

but you know, I mean, that might cramp some people's style

yeah...read a book about that revival

revivals are great at the time...but it is what goes on after that shows what actually went on

I'll just stop there and I can hear some people saying thank you..LOL!

You can't just say this and leave us hanging lol Please, explain.

J

JB2018

Read Acts! It includes a young man being brought back to life, and someone disabled being healed, but those were the small things. The big thing was the message set forth. Paul started out all gangster, but read it. It's a whole lot of places and people awakening to the Lord. And the same people go off and bring more and more. The signs and wonders were shocking, but never the message.

What happens too often now is the people who come to see the signs and wonder, don't come back to see who it's all about. Some churches do that intro without furnishing the education after the people believe. It's always just the intro.

That's what went wrong with Azusa Street, the Jesus Movement, and even now while the signs and wonder are lauded without the wonder of Christ himself.

People will continue to go to revivals to see miracles, signs, and wonders. Unless they see signs and wonders they will not believe (John 4;48) Even born again Christians will do the same. However, if those things happened and the person walks away from the service healed, delivered, or even saved then God gets the glory. Now, it is really sad for people to do this because they want to see God do things before they believe. They should not have this mindset. The only thing we can do is pray for unbelievers to come to God and make him their Lord and savior instead of underlying motives.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Just because Christianity has become an entertainment industry
in the U.S.A. does not mean that Christianity is llikewise in the rest of
the world.
Yes there are showbiz Charismatic churches that are out of order.

But in Australia and the world outside of your U.S. America, Pentecost is
Biblical and conducted decently and in order.
Tremendous revival is happening in the World in these last of last days.

the gospel is preached
thousands and thousands of
people repent and are baptized by full immersion confessing their faith
people are converted by the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the Bible
evidence of speaking in a new tongue
signs and miracles ensue to confirm the truth and power of the gospel of
salvation -
and this is particularly important in many Third World nations because of
the prevalence of witchcraft and black magic.
When villages are converted by the gospel they cast out their witches and wizards
and burn their tools of trade
Also again in no-Christian nations signs and miracles and healings confirm
powerfully the truth of Jesus and the gospel against the false and ineffective
religions such as Islam and Buddhism.

And people are converted wonderfully by the indwelling Holy Spirit - all
manner of evils and sinful conduct are overcome and cleansed away.
Violent criminals become good citizens. Drunkards become sober.
Traditional enemies attacking each other with machetes embrace each other
as brothers in the body of Christ.

Above all in poor countries without doctors and hospitals disciples lay hands
on the sick and pray for them > healings, miracles > the gospel confirmed
and people come out of church religions where there is no Holy Spirit.

D

Depleted

People will continue to go to revivals to see miracles, signs, and wonders. Unless they see signs and wonders they will not believe (John 4;48) Even born again Christians will do the same. However, if those things happened and the person walks away from the service healed, delivered, or even saved then God gets the glory. Now, it is really sad for people to do this because they want to see God do things before they believe. They should not have this mindset. The only thing we can do is pray for unbelievers to come to God and make him their Lord and savior instead of underlying motives.
Were you saved through signs? If you were, you are the first person I've known who was.

D

Depleted

Just because Christianity has become an entertainment industry
in the U.S.A. does not mean that Christianity is llikewise in the rest of
the world.
Yes there are showbiz Charismatic churches that are out of order.

But in Australia and the world outside of your U.S. America, Pentecost is
Biblical and conducted decently and in order.
Tremendous revival is happening in the World in these last of last days.

the gospel is preached
thousands and thousands of
people repent and are baptized by full immersion confessing their faith
people are converted by the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the Bible
evidence of speaking in a new tongue
signs and miracles ensue to confirm the truth and power of the gospel of
salvation -
and this is particularly important in many Third World nations because of
the prevalence of witchcraft and black magic.
When villages are converted by the gospel they cast out their witches and wizards
and burn their tools of trade
Also again in no-Christian nations signs and miracles and healings confirm
powerfully the truth of Jesus and the gospel against the false and ineffective
religions such as Islam and Buddhism.

And people are converted wonderfully by the indwelling Holy Spirit - all
manner of evils and sinful conduct are overcome and cleansed away.
Violent criminals become good citizens. Drunkards become sober.
Traditional enemies attacking each other with machetes embrace each other
as brothers in the body of Christ.

Above all in poor countries without doctors and hospitals disciples lay hands
on the sick and pray for them > healings, miracles > the gospel confirmed
and people come out of church religions where there is no Holy Spirit.
Your testimonial isn't working for me. I know you're in a church who views signs as the thing.

Good news though. Unlike you, I'm not going to judge a whole country from what I see of one Aussie.

7seasrekeyed

there are times when God actually does supernaturally intervene BEFORE salvation...but that is at His descretion and for His purposes

I understand what you are saying

J

JB2018

Were you saved through signs? If you were, you are the first person I've known who was.
Nope. I was not saved through signs. I came to the end of myself and realized that I needed Jesus. I was not looking for a sign. And, I'm saying is that some people will be saved through signs and wonders. It happened in the bible and it will happen again.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I was saved by believing the gospel written in my NT

after my baptism of water and the Holy Spirit then as Jesus
promised these signs followed me
through my faith and obedience I can for example lay hands
on a person and pray in both Aussie and tongues for their healing