Has anyone noticed that they're drawn to read the Bible with urgency?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Live4Him2

I have noticed myself and many have been guided to turn off the idiot tube for keeps and keep our minds "stayed on Him" as scripture teaches.
I got rid of my "boob tube" (TV) close to 34 years ago.

Haven't missed a thing...except the propagandizing brainwashing.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
WOW! That is great to hear. I wish I had done so as well, about a decade for me.

L

Live4Him2

'I have heard it taught, "a hunger, and thirst for the things of God marks the true believer".
As opposed to "an outward form of godliness denying the power", as Jesus taught.
If someone doesn't have an insatiable desire for the word of God, then I honestly believe that they're not even saved.

I Peter chapter 2

[1] Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
[2] As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
[3] If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of professing "Christians" who I've personally met who have claimed to be "saved by grace" or who have claimed to "have tasted that the Lord is gracious" while having no real desire to read God's word whatsoever.

Before I got saved, I HATED to read.

How much?

So much that I didn't take even one of my school books home for the last two years of high school, and so much so that I dropped out of college (I had a full scholarship) after only about 2 1/2 weeks because I HATED my English literature class.

After I got saved, I immediately had a tremendous desire to read God's word, and I've devoured it ever since.

But wait...there's more!

I didn't have my first child (I have three) until about 14 years after I got saved.

All three of our children were breastfed, and when I saw what an INSATIABLE DESIRE my children had for their mother's milk and compared it to what Peter said in relation to how we "as newborn babes" should "desire the sincere milk of the word, they we may grow thereby"...well, in all honesty, I questioned if I was even saved.

And that's just the INSATIABLE DESIRE which we ought to have for the milk of God's word when we're first saved. Of course, we then need to graduate to the meat of God's word lest we be "unskillful in the word of righteousness".

Hebrews chapter 6

[12] For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
[13] For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
[14] But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

L

Live4Him2

I recall a specific time I experienced a "word of knowledge" from Him where he brought to me Isaiah 28, I knew the verse but needed to look up the address, "line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little". He is certainly drawing His own to Him as He always has, but much more accelerated in the last of the last days.
No offense, but this portion of Isaiah chapter 28 is one of the most regularly misinterpreted and/or misapplied portions of scripture in the entire Bible.

Here it is, IN CONTEXT:

Isaiah chapter 28

[9] Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
[10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
[11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
[12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
[13] But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

IN CONTEXT, this whole "precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little" thing has A NEGATIVE MEANING.

Yes, it is those who were subject to the same who "might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken".

IN CONTEXT, this was referring to the Jews who were seeking justification via the law ("precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little") while rejecting "the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest", or "the refreshing" which "they would not hear", or salvation in Christ and the accompanying work of the Holy Spirit in the life of a true believer.

In fact, Paul quoted verse 11 in relation to the gift of tongues in his first epistle to the Corinthians, when he said:

I Corinthians chapter 14

[21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
[22] Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Anyhow, like I said, this portion of Isaiah chapter 28 is one of the most regularly misinterpreted and/or misapplied portions of scripture in the entire Bible.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
You missed the point completely.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I wasn't posting an interpretation or an application.
That is how you missed the point, then you missed the point of how you missed the point.
Sounds like you are leaning on your own understanding which Jesus warned us to not do.
best wishes

L

Live4Him2

I wasn't posting an interpretation or an application.
That is how you missed the point, then you missed the point of how you missed the point.
Sounds like you are leaning on your own understanding which Jesus warned us to not do.
best wishes
I never said that you were posting an interpretation or an application.

In fact, I deliberately began my post with the words "no offense" because I know how quickly people here get wrongly offended.

Did you miss that?

Anyhow, I simply addressed the portion of scripture that you referenced itself, and properly so.

If you go back and reread what I actually said, then you'll hopefully recognize the same.

Finally, and to be quite frank, I was rather disappointed in you when I saw the emoticon that you responded with.

I posted the word of God.

If that offends you or anybody else, then I offer no apologies whatsoever.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I posted the the Word of Knowledge He chose to give, I wasn't "referring" to a scripture as a study.
When He gives words of knowledge, guidance or instruction we should go to Him for meaning and not lean on our own understanding.
I am sure you mean well, and meant well.

best wishes

Lamb75

Apr 23, 2022
For about the last three months or so, I have been drawn to watch only Christian broadcasts, podcasts and to pick up the Bible. Is anyone else noticing this sense of urgency or is it just me?
I have noticed myself and many have been guided to turn off the idiot tube for keeps and keep our minds "stayed on Him" as scripture teaches.
Absolutely, I have felt the same exact way. In fact, my interest for entertainment is only geared towards watching faith based christian movies. Do you believe in the rapture?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
who me?
I am not sure anymore, I once did, perhaps I still do, in order to "escape the things to come". Anymore I look at the little time we are here is the only time for eternity that we will be away from his presence, and that means we are running out of time to earn crowns to lay at His feet, for He alone is worthy.
I have heard it taught that it may not be either, pre, mid, or post trib raptures but all three as His love is so great for His own.
What say you?
blessings

Lamb75

Apr 23, 2022
Blessings to you as well… Yes, I also agree we are running out of time. Therefore, we must continue to feed not just our minds but our souls with spiritual nutrition. 🙏🏼🙏🏼❤️🙏🏼🙏🏼

Sunny1

Apr 23, 2022
I recall a specific time I experienced a "word of knowledge" from Him where he brought to me Isaiah 28, I knew the verse but needed to look up the address, "line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little". He is certainly drawing His own to Him as He always has, but much more accelerated in the last of the last days.
He is drawing us closer. To have such a sense of urgency to read the New Testament and in a hurry is clear. He knows what I am capable of and what's needed. It's fair warning.

Sunny1

Apr 23, 2022
Blessings to you as well… Yes, I also agree we are running out of time. Therefore, we must continue to feed not just our minds but our souls with spiritual nutrition. 🙏🏼🙏🏼❤️🙏🏼🙏🏼
This is probably why I've gone from mainstream media to an abrupt halt and turn towards ministry networks and the Holy Bible. Not like a fanatic but definitely with purpose.

Lamb75

Apr 23, 2022
This is probably why I've gone from mainstream media to an abrupt halt and turn towards ministry networks and the Holy Bible. Not like a fanatic but definitely with purpose.[/QUOTE

Yes, indeed. What are some of the ministry networks you listen?

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to have you joining the fellowship here, Sunny1, and hope you find many topics to chime in on. I listen to many different TV programs and those old n new messages on Faith. One man of the Word I listen to, Kenneth Hagin, was healed of 3 'incurable' diseases by standing on Mark 11:23-24. Even Drs at the Mayo clinic gave him no hope but he went to on preach for 60+ more yrs. God bless you!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Kenneth Hagin was a wonderful man of God, i'm thankful you can enjoy him today.

Lamb75

Apr 23, 2022
I will definitely listen today. Thank you for the recommendation.

Sunny1

Apr 23, 2022
If someone doesn't have an insatiable desire for the word of God, then I honestly believe that they're not even saved.

I Peter chapter 2

[1] Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
[2] As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
[3] If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of professing "Christians" who I've personally met who have claimed to be "saved by grace" or who have claimed to "have tasted that the Lord is gracious" while having no real desire to read God's word whatsoever.

Before I got saved, I HATED to read.

How much?

So much that I didn't take even one of my school books home for the last two years of high school, and so much so that I dropped out of college (I had a full scholarship) after only about 2 1/2 weeks because I HATED my English literature class.

After I got saved, I immediately had a tremendous desire to read God's word, and I've devoured it ever since.

But wait...there's more!

I didn't have my first child (I have three) until about 14 years after I got saved.

All three of our children were breastfed, and when I saw what an INSATIABLE DESIRE my children had for their mother's milk and compared it to what Peter said in relation to how we "as newborn babes" should "desire the sincere milk of the word, they we may grow thereby"...well, in all honesty, I questioned if I was even saved.

And that's just the INSATIABLE DESIRE which we ought to have for the milk of God's word when we're first saved. Of course, we then need to graduate to the meat of God's word lest we be "unskillful in the word of righteousness".

Hebrews chapter 6

[12] For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
[13] For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
[14] But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Amazing that you made it out of HS and into college, hating to read! But very intrigued that you were saved and had a real hunger for the Word. When it strikes, it strikes and I'm as glad for this as you were.

Cheers,

Sunny1

Apr 23, 2022
It's important to keep apart from the secular world to some degree. It' s so easy to be lured into it and risk the chance of back-sliding away from the Word.