Has sin been paid for?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 19, 2016
Did Jesus Christ pay for sin of the whole world?
Does he do it over and over and over again?
Or did he pay the price of sin, once?

Curious minds would like to know.

I believe that Jesus Christ has paid for all sins, in the whole world once, even while we did not believe in Him.

and when we came to Him He changed us from the angery old grumbling old fool we use to be, into someone who could possibly love God and Others...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017

While the answer should be straightforward from Scripture, there are many who have taken this basic truth and misrepresented it in different ways. So you might want to present your position on this clearly and see what the response is.

Nov 19, 2016
[/CENTER]While the answer should be straightforward from Scripture, there are many who have taken this basic truth and misrepresented it in different ways. So you might want to present your position on this clearly and see what the response is.

Look below friend.

I believe that Jesus Christ has paid for all sins, in the whole world once, even while we did not believe in Him.

and when we came to Him He changed us from the angery old grumbling old fool we use to be, into someone who could possibly love God and Others...

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Look below friend.

Once again, you are correct in that, Jesus did pay the penalty for all sins. However, you are leaving the part of repentance out of the equation. Jesus did not shed His blood so that we could willfully continue to live according to the sinful nature. He requires repentance.

Nov 19, 2016
Repentance is a change of mind.

It's called I'm walking alone without God and JEsus Christ in my life.

I turn around.

Now I am walking with God and JEsus Christ in my life because I believe in them.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

I turn around.

Now I am walking with God and JEsus Christ in my life because I believe in them.
Yes, and turning around, having a change of mind, means repenting. Repentance is the change of heart.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Did Jesus Christ pay for sin of the whole world?
Does he do it over and over and over again?
Or did he pay the price of sin, once?

Yes, the Lord did pay the price for sin, but that does not give us carte blanche to continue living in the sinful nature. We need to Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

SovereignGrace

Dec 28, 2016
If He paid the debt for everybody's sins, then everybody will be saved.

#HelloUniversalism

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Repentance is the change of heart.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
(Ezekiel 36:26)

:)

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Look below friend.

He told the prostitute "your sins are forgiven you. Go and sin no more." We like the first part and have a tendency to forget the second bit. Sin no more. We have to at least TRY to cooperate with The Holy Spirit on that.

Forgiveness is free (Praise him for his mercy!) but you actually have to be SORRY and repent for it to work.

SovereignGrace

Dec 28, 2016

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
(Ezekiel 36:26)

:)
I have heard some use this to mean that during the MK is when this takes place. If that is the case, then we are saved, yet w/o a new fleshly heart, but the old stony heart that can not love God. :(

Oh the eisegesis employed by many...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Has sin been paid for?

And for this cause He is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
(Hebrews 9:15)

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that He might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
(Romans 3:23-26)

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]
Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 629: ἀπολύτρωσις
ἀπολύτρωσις, ἀπολυτρώσεως, (from ἀπολυτρόω signifying a. to redeem one by paying the price, cf. λύτρον: Plutarch, Pomp. 24; the Sept.Exodus 21:8; Zephaniah 3:1;b. to let one go free on receiving the price: Plato, legg. 11, p. 919a.; Polybius 22, 21, 8; (cf.) Diodorus 13, 24), "a releasing effected by payment of ransom; redemption, deliverance, liberation procured by the payment of a ransom";

1. properly: πόλεων αἰχμαλώτων, Plutarch, Pomp. 24 (the only passage in secular writings where the word has as yet been noted; (add, Josephus, Antiquities 12, 2, 3; Diodorusfragment l. xxxvii. 5, 3, p. 149, 6 Dindorf; Philo, quod omn. prob. book § 17)).

2. everywhere in the N. T. metaphorically, viz. deliverance effected through the death of Christ from the retributive wrath of a holy God and the merited penalty of sin: Romans 3:24; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:14 (cf. ἐξαγοράζω,ἀγοράζω, λυτρόω, etc. (and Trench, § lxxvii.));

ἀπολύτρωσιν τῶν ... παραβάσεων deliverance from the penalty of transgressions, effected through their expiation, Hebrews 9:15 (cf. Delitzsch at the passage and Fritzsche on Romans, vol. ii., p. 178);
ἡμέρα ἀπολυτρώσεως, the last day, when consummate liberation is experienced from the sin still lingering even in the regenerate, and from all the ills and troubles of this life, Ephesians 4:30; in the same sense the word is apparently to be taken in 1 Corinthians 1:30 (where Christ himself is said to be redemption, i. e. the author of redemption, the one without whom we could have none), and is to be taken in the phrase
ἀπολύτρωσιν τῆςπεριποιήσεως, Ephesians 1:14, the redemption which will come to his possession, or to the men who are God's own through Christ (cf. Meyer at the passage);
τοῦ σώματος, deliverance of the body from frailty and mortality, Romans 8:23 (Winer's Grammar, 187 (176)); deliverance from the hatred and persecutions of enemies by the return of Christ from heaven, Luke 21:28, cf. Luke 18:7f; deliverance or release from torture, Hebrews 11:35.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
1 John 2:2 - and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes, and turning around, having a change of mind, means repenting. Repentance is the change of heart.
Correct. Heart, mind, will, direction in life, purpose, motives, everything. When Saul the Persecutor became Paul the Preacher, that was a 180 degree change of everything in his life. From being a persecutor he became a persecuted one.

Dec 12, 2013

I turn around.

AMEN....and to the believer----Where sin abounds, grace did abound the more........The Holy Spirit convicts the WORLD of sin because the HAVE NOT BELIEVED ON CHRIST.......SIN is dealt with differently in a believer as opposed to a lost man in the world........

MANY who name Christ fail to understand this principle.....they try to equate sin in a believer to the loss of salvation and that is not the case at all....God only WHIPS SONS who are disobedient...He does not cast them away....once a son by birth always a son by birth..

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Look below friend.

True enough. But the Calvinists deny that it was for the sins of the whole world and the Hyper Grace false teachers deny that after conversion Christians do not need to deal with their present sins as instructed in the Bible. Then there are those who claim that because all their sins were paid for they can live like the Devil. Then there are those who insist that the finished work of Christ was not really finished, or even if it was finished Christians need to add their works to the equation, or add water baptism to the equation, or circumcision, or something else such as all the sacraments. So unless all these errors are addressed at the same time, talking about the sin debt having been paid in full can be taken the wrong way.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
True enough. But the Calvinists deny that it was for the sins of the whole world and the Hyper Grace false teachers deny that after conversion Christians do not need to deal with their present sins as instructed in the Bible. Then there are those who claim that because all their sins were paid for they can live like the Devil. Then there are those who insist that the finished work of Christ was not really finished, or even if it was finished Christians need to add their works to the equation, or add water baptism to the equation, or circumcision, or something else such as all the sacraments. So unless all these errors are addressed at the same time, talking about the sin debt having been paid in full can be taken the wrong way.
You often speak a lot of truth, but this is not such. One of the most famed "hyper grace" teachers has specifically said that they were "vehemently opposed to sin." You'll find that what they preach is that we have victory over sin under grace, so they by no means preach licentiousness (a license to sin).

Repentance, they will tell you, is a renewing of the mind, growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. Through such study, as the Holy Spirit reveals as our Teacher, we come to an understanding of who we are in Christ, that being dead to sin and alive unto God.

I don't believe it is fair to define Hyper Grace teachers or believers as false teachers or antinomians. Teaching upon the grace of God is paramount to walking righteously and in harmony, or fellowship, with God. It breaks down these religious concepts of guilt and shame, with condemnation and allows us to enter into God's presence boldly, fully acknowledging what Christ paid for. Our reconciliation to God.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
If He paid the debt for everybody's sins, then everybody will be saved.

#HelloUniversalism
Oh the rush to judgment.
I have heard some use this to mean that during the MK is when this takes place. If that is the case, then we are saved, yet w/o a new fleshly heart, but the old stony heart that can not love God. :(

Oh the eisegesis employed by many...
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Musicus

Oct 26, 2017
You often speak a lot of truth, but this is not such. One of the most famed "hyper grace" teachers has specifically said that they were "vehemently opposed to sin." You'll find that what they preach is that we have victory over sin under grace, so they by no means preach licentiousness (a license to sin).

Repentance, they will tell you, is a renewing of the mind, growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. Through such study, as the Holy Spirit reveals as our Teacher, we come to an understanding of who we are in Christ, that being dead to sin and alive unto God.

I don't believe it is fair to define Hyper Grace teachers or believers as false teachers or antinomians. Teaching upon the grace of God is paramount to walking righteously and in harmony, or fellowship, with God. It breaks down these religious concepts of guilt and shame, with condemnation and allows us to enter into God's presence boldly, fully acknowledging what Christ paid for. Our reconciliation to God.
I wasn't aware of a 'hyper-grace' movement until I read it here on CC, but myself and several of my friends have noticed lately that there seems to be a lot of teaching and preaching that plants the seed that "sinning is ok, we're gonna sin anyway, we all sin, so don't worry about it, just repent when you do".

I hear this message mostly from evangelists. To me it seems like an overzealousness to win over souls, stretching the truth to get them saved, make Christianity seem more palatable or something. They don't really leave out repentance, but they just kinda gloss over it, like it's not really that important, that it's ok even if you forget to ask forgiveness for the sin you did last night because it's covered anyway.

I travel a lot in a music ministry, so I hear all kinds of preaching from many denominations, and this message seems to be all over the place. None of these preacher/teachers really come out and use the term 'hypergrace', but now that I look closer at it, they do have many similarities to what I'm learning about the 'hypergrace' movement.