Has the law been put aside? If so, when?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
The law is NOT set aside, and that is a fact not a belief. God is eternal and what God said at the moment of creation and what God says today are the very same, God is the I am.

When God gave the ten commandments on Mt Sinai it was the very same commandments Christ explained more fully during the sermon on the Mt., and it is the very same law that is spoken of in Hebrews when we are told that the true law is not the ridged law as stated on Mt Sinai but the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is contained within the law as stated on the stone tablets.

Also!!! The idea that God takes back promises the God makes is false. God is true and you can put your very life in his hands, God is trustworthy. When God states that He will do something the idea that anything he adds to do something more cancels anything God told us before is false. God does NOT take back any word that God gives, humans and devils do that but God does not.
You are making the mistake of believing that "the law" refers to the the 10commandments given on Mt. Sinai.

Keep reading, there are a TON more commandments.

From the SAME CHAPTER that the 10commandments are given... Exodus 20:

Exo 20:24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.

Obviously nobody is ever too excited to fulfill this particular eternal law.

I leave you with this:
2Cor 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I agree, "the law" is a singular thing. You are either under it, or you are not under it.
We are under grace, not under law. Can we agree on that?
yes. if we go forward from this statement.

if there is a " but " after this statement, and you keep talking about the Law, then you are including the Law in salvation. that we will not agree on, because it is not true.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I didn't say I'm not a teacher. I said I'm not YOUR teacher.
I'd say you're a lesson and an example here among the teachers. For their usage as God wills.

Mar 28, 2016
As I understand it, the term "spirit of the law" is not a biblical term. It is in common usage and has meaning, but not found in the Bible.
When I do a search for the exact phrase I get zero results.

So, if it isn't biblical, maybe what people typically say about it isn't biblical either.
It seems like an attempt to keep us under the law.

Many claim that the new covenant means that the same law that was written on stone is now written on our hearts.
What is new about that? A covenant is an agreement. Writing an old agreement on a new material does not make it a new agreement.

Hebrews 8:7, 13
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
I would offer.The "spirit of the law" is the same as the "law of faith" .Faith referring to the work of the unseen Spirit of God .The Holy place of God reserved for Him alone. The letter of the law which we see with our eyes, scripture it kills, declaring we are guilty. The unseen spirit of the law it heals and brings us eternal life.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

The written law working with the spirit of the law,( the law of faith) both working together brings us the perfect or complete law spoken of in Psalms.And by the work of the Spirit of the law, us simple ones are given His understanding converting our souls .

Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

The written law will disappear in the twinkling of the eye .It will not enter the promised land the new heavens and earth. Until then not one jot or tittle could be removed .

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018

if there is a " but " after this statement, and you keep talking about the Law, then you are including the Law in salvation. that we will not agree on, because it is not true.
Matthew 22:37-40 (ESV)

37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
Before... until... until... Now...

Galatians 3:23-25
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law,
locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

When was the law put aside?
Take your pick. See the list of evidence below.

Question: When was the law put aside?

Answer:

- The law was put aside when John the Baptist arrived.

- The law was put aside when Christ arrived.

- The law was put aside at the Baptism of Christ.

- The law was put aside in the Sermon on the Mount.

- The law was put aside when Jesus was challenged by the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when Jesus challenged the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when God directed Jesus to do the work of healing on the Sabbath.

- The law was put aside when Jesus spoke to the Rich Young Ruler.

- The law was put aside at the Transfiguration of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Death of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Resurrection of Christ.

- The law was put aside on the road to Damascus.

- The law was put aside when Jesus commanded, or condoned acts of Sabbath-breaking.
The law is put aside whenever someone puts their faith in love, truth, justice, humility, as that which is Christ's faith, His Way.
When we put our faith in Christ's Way, the written law becomes irrelevant, as our actions will fulfill the law through our new nature.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The Law being fulfilled means that Provision is provided for All of Gods People to be under Grace and not under Law.

The Law being set aside means that the law has been done away at a certain point in history and it is merely an intellectual acknowledgement that determines if someone is under the law or not.

I'd be interested in your interpretation of why you think the bible says something different. I will show you that it doesn't.
The only way you can show that God is not eternal and show that God takes back promises He makes is to say that we can go ahead and lie, steal, and murder, that God took back His instructions not to do these things.

When Paul got on his soap box (was Paul good at that) about mechanical obedience in favor of obeying through Christ and the spirit of God, Paul said the mechanical way was out. But that is not saying that we can thumb our nose at what God told us. When we obey through God's spirit we are also obeying the mechanical instructions, just in a more complete way.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Here is what you said originally that seemed off to me.
- "The Law was fulfilled at the Death of Christ on the cross."
- "The Law is not set aside until each individual person is given rest by coming to Christ."

I typically hear of the law being set aside on the cross. This scripture is used to make that statement.

Ephesians 2:14-16
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one
and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,
15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations.
His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,
16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross,
by which he put to death their hostility.
Yes. The Lord fulfilled the law on the Cross.

But each person must come to Christ to receive rest in order to NOT be under the law themselves.

Romans 7:1-6
1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The only way you can show that God is not eternal and show that God takes back promises He makes is to say that we can go ahead and lie, steal, and murder, that God took back His instructions not to do these things.

When Paul got on his soap box (was Paul good at that) about mechanical obedience in favor of obeying through Christ and the spirit of God, Paul said the mechanical way was out. But that is not saying that we can thumb our nose at what God told us. When we obey through God's spirit we are also obeying the mechanical instructions, just in a more complete way.
I know that's the way you WANT it to be. But that isn't the way it is.

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Do you not understand the scripture or do you just not believe them?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It is clear that the Ministration of Death and Condemnation IS NOT instruction on how to live. It is for those who have not yet come to faith in Christ.

Once a person comes to faith in Christ they have a new Teacher. That teacher is the Holy Spirit and not the Ministration of Death written on stones.

The Law is NOT the Holy Spirit.
There are some facts that are true in our world today. Those facts do not cancel each other out, they are all absolute truth. People keep saying that if Christ forgives our sin, being that is so and we are not under sin but the grace that God uses in His forgiveness then it is perfectly OK for us to go ahead and sin. That is not so.

It is a fact that God the Father forgives through the blood of Christ when we repent and ask for it.

It is a fact that God gives this grace based on our faith, not on our acts. That does not affect our need for obedience, both facts stand.

It is a fact that obedience of law needs to be done through the spirit of God. You can hate someone and want to harm him but obey law not to murder, yet the hating is not of God.

Scripture puts it this way: We are to die to sin with Christ, then live through the spirit of God so that spirit directs our actions. I am paraphrasing this.

People get these facts all mixed up with their human reasoning, adding to what God tells us. But none of these facts cancels out another fact, they all stand.

J

jaybird88

I hear the claim that Jesus followed the law all the time.
What I have yet to hear is the biblical proof this claim is based on.
1 Peter 2:22
He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth.

Jesus got himself in trouble with the religious leaders over the law.
Was it because he was following the law, or not following the law?
the leaders in question was a corrupt den of vipers, appointed to their positions by heron and rome. rightious leaders like Zechariah and James were either forced out or murdered by these guys.

And in reference to following Jesus example, you should try this on Saturday.
Go to the nearest Jewish synagogue, take the platform and present Jesus as the Messiah.
they would probably claim they do not worship three gods. they been saying that for the last 1800 years. funny thing, they were not saying that when Jesus was teaching, i wonder why???

If they don't toss you out, spend the rest of your time there casting out demons and heaoing the sick.
we are not taught that today, we are taught Jesus did all this so we didnt have to. yet this is very different than the way Jesus taught the disciples. He was pretty stern with them when they lacked faith.

Then you will truly be a "follower" of Christ's example.
If that sounds ridiculous, consider out To Do list from Jesus.

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
it doesnt sound ridiculous to me, you want all the scriptures of Jesus telling others "follow Me"?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018

No "if"s, "and"s, or "but"s. as far as I am concerned.
We are saved in the here and now by faith (belief) through grace.
No obligation to the law whatsoever.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I'd say you're a lesson and an example here among the teachers. For their usage as God wills.
I'm guessing that is an insult on some level.
Correct me if I misunderstood you. Thanks.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I would offer.The "spirit of the law" is the same as the "law of faith" .Faith referring to the work of the unseen Spirit of God .The Holy place of God reserved for Him alone. The letter of the law which we see with our eyes, scripture it kills, declaring we are guilty. The unseen spirit of the law it heals and brings us eternal life.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

The written law working with the spirit of the law,( the law of faith) both working together brings us the perfect or complete law spoken of in Psalms.And by the work of the Spirit of the law, us simple ones are given His understanding converting our souls .

Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

The written law will disappear in the twinkling of the eye .It will not enter the promised land the new heavens and earth. Until then not one jot or tittle could be removed .
That is interesting what you are saying about the law of faith.
But there is no "spirit of the law" biblically speaking.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The Christian rest is the millennial Kingdom of God.
is Isaiah 65 describing the millineum? there is still death and there is still sin.

in Revelation it's said that Satan will be released after the millineum and gather many to war against Christ.

if that is rest, why is their still death, still sin, still war, still rebellion against God?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
we are not taught that today, we are taught Jesus did all this so we didnt have to. yet this is very different than the way Jesus taught the disciples.
You don't believe that we are to cast out demons and heal the sick? Why not?

J

jaybird88

You don't believe that we are to cast out demons and heal the sick? Why not?
people claim many things. i live in the US, i see a nation that calls itself Christian while at the same time i see more people in hospitals than ever before, 5th graders on psych drugs. why are we not laying hands on all these people?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
people claim many things. i live in the US, i see a nation that calls itself Christian while at the same time i see more people in hospitals than ever before, 5th graders on psych drugs. why are we not laying hands on all these people?
It's not really something we should be doing of our own free will.
Even Jesus waiting for the Father to direct him in when to do it and how.
It's interesting to see all the different methods Jesus used to heal blindness.
There was no set formula for these things. The instructions from the Father had to be carefully followed.

If someone asks me to pray for them, I will not refuse them.
All we really know for sure is the 100 percent of the people that we don't pray for don't get healed.
why are we not laying hands on all these people?
The other thing to consider is that we are trying to regain something that has been all but lost to unbelief.
Many churches and denominations are victims of Cessationism. The belief that the miracle gifts ceased with the Apostles.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
I hope you are not offended by this, but it is because we all serve two masters, Mammon and God, as to why we cannot lay on hands and cure people. We do not have a full faith in God, if we also trust in mammon.
Peter, head of the church in Jerusalem, who when the lame beggar asked him for alms, told the lame beggar he had no gold or silver.
Peter had total faith in God, and none in mammon.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.