Hate Your Family?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie_2uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
So I am expected to believe that this woman believes that Jesus taught that we are to hate our parents? The proper understanding if anyone had taken the time to teach her is that we are to love the Lord so much and with such sincere effort as to make our natural love for our family by comparison seem like hate.

Look at all the strife due to lack of discipleship.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Hah, yes! And all the strife that is caused from lack of common sense!
 
It always amazes me how people will take a scripture like this and then say something like, "ah Hah! Jesus was inconsistent! He can't be trusted!"

All one has to do is look into a matter to find the true meaning like the original word in Greek.

I think sometimes people just don't want to understand and remain ignorant.

Why use Greek, why not look up the definition of the words Love and Hate in the OT as in Jacob have I loved but Esau have I hated? I think it simply boils down to favor or not favor.
 
Why use Greek, why not look up the definition of the words Love and Hate in the OT as in Jacob have I loved but Esau have I hated? I think it simply boils down to favor or not favor.

Sometimes the unbelievers need a deeper understanding assumingly...
 
I agree with your definition. I would like to know your source. Mine (Strong's) doesn't include love less or esteem less.

The new Strong's Exhaustive Concordance does list "Love Less" as one of the definitions of "miseo" (Ref #3404).

Consider that Jesus told the scribes and Pharisees; " Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother....Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition" (Matthew 15:3-6). So it seems obvious that Jesus wasn't contradicting the 5th commandment in Luke 14:26. Matthew 19:29 is a better translation of what Jesus was relaying. jmo
 
It's something of an enigma, isn't it? Why would Jesus say, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple"?(Luke 14:26)

It doesn't matter how many quotes you can find of Jesus teaching love, this one passage remains a fly in the ointment. What does it really mean? Either Jesus never said this, or he did say it and perhaps this hints that maybe, just maybe, there is something else to Jesus that people don't understand.

The same idea is found in Matthew 10, 37: [SUP]37 "[/SUP]Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

So, in Luke 14, 26, it is not about literally hating your family, but, about being capable of separating yourself from them and becoming an adept of Christ.
 
I wasn't referring to you Richie, but to the woman you talked about.
ahh yes. Now I understand lol But as the girl on the radio show, are like us all. Only thing we have Jesus in us still. as for her she probably was like that after she became atheist. there is realy no excuse, only something she is coverring up herself. God is easily blamed for everything that goes wrong in people's life. Just because it has gone the way they wanted it it be. or God is not answering there prayers the way or how they want it. Funny how God becomes the enemy in people lifes.

God will never forsake anyone, just distance himself from the sins of people's lives. This is why we all need to understand the bible, understand God and understand his ways, his doings, and why's, what's, and how's. Of course its going to be difficult. But its going to be more difficult if you, ( not you personally) I mean you as people in general. make things by your own accord, of course you/people are going to stumble even more. Thats why there is so much confusion in the world, who to believe, what people say about the bible. Mostly, sorry to say its all guess work. people will tell or claim they know all the bible all because they understood one particale of the bible. when clearly they don't. There will be tons and tons of stuff people will never understand till we meet Jesus.

Anyways yeh I agree about you refering to the women lol
 
This is my first time on a site such as this. I am no longer surprised at what atheist think I knew they were way off on some other trip any way. But I am very concerned at what some believing professing Christians believe. Absolutely shocking!