Have the New Testament Charismatic gifts ceased?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PrestonMatthew7
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
The Apostles were just men saved by grace and chosen by Jesus. Aren't we all saved by grace and chosen by Jesus? God is no respecter of person.
The only gifts that ceased are the sign gifts of 1 Cor 13:8. These gifts were a sign to unsaved Jews. God has not changed God is simply fulfilling His word.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
 
The only gifts that ceased are the sign gifts of 1 Cor 13:8. These gifts were a sign to unsaved Jews. God has not changed God is simply fulfilling His word.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Hi Roger,

Amen to what you said! The only thing that I would ad is that, it was not only an outward sign to the Jews, but to the Gentiles as well. I think of those outward signs as demonstrating the reality of the gospel with power, in stark contrast to all the other religions that existed at that time.
 
The Apostles were just men saved by grace and chosen by Jesus. Aren't we all saved by grace and chosen by Jesus? God is no respecter of person.

thank you you have just proved me right, God IS a respecter of person in the way you mention, To compare yourself with an Apostle is ridiculous
 
No, not one has ceased. VVhy? The Holy Spirit inside of you, who gives them, is still distributing them.
 
I have seen the fake as well as the real thing. Believe me you will know the real thing when you see it. There is power in God and the Holy Ghost.

Jesus said in John 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

I dont think that speaking in tongue is "greater works than Christ did". :) So I dont think this verse applies to this gift at all.
 
I have seen so many fake gifts of tongues that now I have doubts if they still exist or not.

Which is exactly why satan muddies the waters with falsehoods. So he can deprive the saints of an important gift that just might be used against him.
 
Then you deny scripture and that quenches the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Roger, Roger, Roger... do I have to demonstrate once again how far apart from scripture your understanding of these things is?

Nothing has ceased. Except among those who think they have.
 
Then you deny scripture and that quenches the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

The irony of someone denying the Holy Spirit's gifts accusing others of quenching the Holy Spirit. You make me smile. :)
 
Which is exactly why satan muddies the waters with falsehoods. So he can deprive the saints of an important gift that just might be used against him.
Pr 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Pr 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Perhaps not.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
 
The irony of someone denying the Holy Spirit's gifts accusing others of quenching the Holy Spirit. You make me smile. :)
God does not smile at those who discount the scripture.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
 
Did Jesus ever speak in tongues?

I am sure he could speak any tongue you can imagine. But on the other hand, he made dead ones alive, healed blind ones etc etc. Quite a big job to be beaten by some speaking ;-)
 
notuptome, may I ask you a question? Have you operated in any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and which ones, if you could be so kind to share?
 
Which is exactly why satan muddies the waters with falsehoods. So he can deprive the saints of an important gift that just might be used against him.

Amen...mis-use does not mean dis-use.....or gone-for-now as knowledge has ceased too along with tongues ..

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 (NASB)
[SUP]8 [/SUP] Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

[SUP]9 [/SUP] For we know in part and we prophesy in part;

[SUP]10 [/SUP] but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done aw
ay.
 
Roger, Roger, Roger... do I have to demonstrate once again how far apart from scripture your understanding of these things is?

Nothing has ceased. Except among those who think they have.
You still deny the scripture. You avoid a truthful examination of charismatic claims in the light of the scriptures.

You will not to see so you remain in darkness.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
 
God does not smile at those who discount the scripture.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I'm sure He is smiling at you, He loves you. :) Maybe if you'd ask, He'd open your eyes to these gifts and even let you operate in them to bless others.
 
I have seen so many fake gifts of tongues that now I have doubts if they still exist or not. This is how I handle the problem: I assume they still exist and expect to receive them through prayer. What I don't do is to put in any effort to speak in tongues. If one day I receive the gift I will know it came from God.


I know what you are saying Marcel

but I have seen or heard, far more fake teachers of scripture than fake tongues speakers

way too many folk think they can teach when that gift comes with a warning...go figure