Have we lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2009
14,479
182
63
I love the bible, for the words given, bring the joy and love of Our Lord God our Father and understanding given through the Holy Spirit, in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
One can open and read a page, then another, finding comfort, answers, hope and God's love and plan for us.

Lately though, I wonder if we have lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

When we open the bible, is it to seek all that we are called to in God's word in Jesus?
Or, is it for gain of knowladge, our understanding, a docturine given?

When I first came to bible study here, although many searched and studied the word for knowladge and understanding, it was so to in faith, recieve the understanding given through the Holy Spirit in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
To share this understanding, so to rejoice in the word.
So to embrace the way, the truth and the life in Jesus.
To rejoice in Jesus and His message, Gods love for us, and the Holyness we are called to by this love, so we would love as called to in the great comandment.


But more reciently, it seems we might be loosing sight of the goal.
As more say, "you dont know or you should know, its all about the accumilation of knowladge."


I guess what Im asking?
Is it about the accumilation of knowladge and understanding of the word?
Or, is it to be? the goal being faith in Jesus (the word), His understanding given, Our first Love, Jesus!

Have we lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

I guess Im asking, because what will trully sustain us?

:confused: What do you say?


All is your glory, all is your praise Lord God!!!!!

In Jesus, God bless
pickles
 
I guess what Im asking?
Is it about the accumilation of knowladge and understanding of the word?
Or, is it to be? the goal being faith in Jesus (the word), His understanding given, Our first Love, Jesus!

Have we lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

I guess Im asking, because what will trully sustain us?

:confused: What do you say?


All is your glory, all is your praise Lord God!!!!!

In Jesus, God bless
pickles

It's not about knowledge or understanding. Its all about love. Its his love that
sustains us.
Love first, then the rest will follow.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
And now I will show you the most excellent way.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails
13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
 
I think , maybe there is too much preaching going on in general. Meaning it sounds like a lot of us are trying to school other people, and talking about something until it becomes a fight, rather then letting things go. It seems like we want to make sure they know, how much we know, and that it is our way or no way. ( we use phrases like, this is the way the Bible says it ).. And it does not seem to matter that we are dividing each other.

If we are more humble with the scriptures and let it teach us, rather then us teaching it, then there would be more that got done. We're to quick to attack each other, because we are so set on being right, that we loose unity as Christians.
Most often when we are fast to fight, we're likely never 100% right ourselves

So maybe the end result can end up being that, even though we're wanting to learn the Bible, because of the way we go about it, its ending up being the opposite of loving the word. It ends up being a ironic thing , we really are leaving out first love, when we act the way we have... Talk about the Bible should be productive, and if people come to an impasse , and its obvious it cant be resolved between them, it should be left alone.

I think if we adopt a humble attitude that, its not about what we know, then we can start to communicate and not be divided , when it comes to maturing in the Bible. One day ideally Christians can be a tightly nit unit / family ; that God can use.
 
Last edited:
Great thread. Will comment after dropping off the youngster at school. :)
 
I love the bible, for the words given, bring the joy and love of Our Lord God our Father and understanding given through the Holy Spirit, in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
One can open and read a page, then another, finding comfort, answers, hope and God's love and plan for us.

Lately though, I wonder if we have lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

When we open the bible, is it to seek all that we are called to in God's word in Jesus?
Or, is it for gain of knowladge, our understanding, a docturine given?

When I first came to bible study here, although many searched and studied the word for knowladge and understanding, it was so to in faith, recieve the understanding given through the Holy Spirit in Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh.
To share this understanding, so to rejoice in the word.
So to embrace the way, the truth and the life in Jesus.
To rejoice in Jesus and His message, Gods love for us, and the Holyness we are called to by this love, so we would love as called to in the great comandment.


But more reciently, it seems we might be loosing sight of the goal.
As more say, "you dont know or you should know, its all about the accumilation of knowladge."


I guess what Im asking?
Is it about the accumilation of knowladge and understanding of the word?
Or, is it to be? the goal being faith in Jesus (the word), His understanding given, Our first Love, Jesus!

Have we lost sight of the goal, forgotten our first love?

I guess Im asking, because what will trully sustain us?

:confused: What do you say?


All is your glory, all is your praise Lord God!!!!!

In Jesus, God bless
pickles

Thank you pickles for poisting this,
I persnally need to be reminded just to go to God for:

"Comfort Me by letting Me know that you would see Me just to dwell in My Presence. Not for teaching, not for material gain, not even for a message, but for Me. The longing of the human heart to be loved for itself is something caught from the Great Divine Heart."

And trust God for the right words and refrain from being above anyone else, for God is no respector of anyone we are all the same in and from Jesus Christ Forgiven 100% back at the cross and recieve our new lifes right there as well in the resurrection of Christ this to me being my first love
Thank you again Sister
 
It is such a muddle! And Satan is using scripture to mix us up. Just as Satan used scripture when he tempted Christ those 40 days in the desert, Satan is using scripture in the same way to tempt us. Besides, people use isms and denomination thought rather than God’s. And the more intellectual the learning is, the more the isms and movements are learned the further we get in the muddle.

I have an understanding opened to me that the deep sea scrolls opened up ways to understand the OT better. I am told that is a movement that is evil, it has nothing to do with learning to know God more intimately. They put a label on it called Hebrew Roots, have found people with that label who believe such as that the rituals are necessary for salvation, and I am watched, not to check me with scripture, but to check me for believing in what bad they see in Hebrew Roots. It is as if talk of God’s word is read through a filter of isms and movements to distort it. As I share, it is sifted to find something of a wrong movement in my undertstanding. One thing wrong and out goes everything, for God's word isn't used to reason with me, but the movement is used instead.

We would be closer to knowing God if we were a five year old, and not able to read. Then we would know we belong to God, and Christ forgives our sins. We could just let God in our hearts and be led by that, and the long words of movements and isms and great learning of men’s ways would have no effect. What I have learned of God has fed my spirit, it is a blessing I would like to share. But not the distortion. What the five year old knows is all that is necessary.
 
We are all at different stages of our walk with the Lord. Some of us are just starting to crawl with regard to our relationship with God, while others are walking steadily. There are also those who continually stumble along and those who try to trip others up. Obviously, our focus should be on glorifying God and lifting each other up, no matter what stage we're at. But that doesn't mean we can't socialize or vent from time to time as well.

Since this is an open forum, there will always be those who want to attack and stir up drama. But that's the way it is. Each of us has to just keep our focus on God and be concerned about doing our best to put God first. I must admit, I often find it hard to resist the bait of the hate mongers and self-righteous. And I do take the hook from time to time. But I'll be focusing more on building relationships with those who truly want to be more dedicated to God's Love and being filled with the Holy Spirit.
It's important that we all refresh our minds as to what our true purpose is. A new friend here reminded me of that yesterday. Thanks for reminding me again today. :) I need to remember this each day. God Bless!
 
I really like the heart of this thread. I agree Whole heartily! I have often thought the exact sentiments previously expressed. I have often felt two thing that almost all ways come to mind . One all ready mentioned is Pride . Even in my most out going day ,Pride is ever present ,and easily provoke in my flesh by some insignificant statement. I think my flesh wants some what to gain, or feel the smartest, or be superior, a sad comment I know. Forgive me. Usually after I post I immediately regret at least some of what I said, I think out of fear of being wrong or something. Or sometimes saying something although true, is not edifying for the discussion. I agree we all think we have the gift of teaching, and maybe some do , but it often leads to contention especially if whats being"taught' IS WRONG. I really feel there is room for being ministers to each other ,for we are one body and your supply is my lack. . For me it is sometimes something I have not thought about before, or it leads me to research a doctrine in a slightly different way and learn something new. Sometimes I have been correct in my word but am met with chaffing. But even in this God has used to really teach me patience and long suffering and just plain brotherly love. I must say that to be moderate is virtuous and Knowledge taken in its rightful place is something to be desired and worth more than earthly treasure. I have a sister with downs syndrome and she rally loves the lord ,But has very little of what we usually esteem as knowledge. I guess she perceives the lord, and her trust in Jesus himself to be her knowledge. And when we preach the good news the simple message that Jesus came to over come death,and give us the hope of eternal life ,and the strength and grace and forgiveness towards us and also ministered by us, ,through Christ in us, towards others seems to be all the word needed to save a soul ready to hear from God. Sorry I wrote so much, I just liked this thread and wanted to share. Which I also must say is the heart of fellowship, that is each of us sharing what measure of grace that Christ has given to us. For only the lords words not ours ,will minister grace to the hearers. the Lord increase us all in the love that's in Jesus, and be strengthened with knowledge to serve and grow in him.
 
It looks like BOTH. Jesus commended the Ephesians for fighting the good (doctrinal) fight and yet rebuked them for leaving their first Love...the latter being more grievous.

"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: 'The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands. "'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.'
(Rev 2:1-7)
 
Thankyou all so much for your responces.
I know it may seem ridicules or silly, but while reading your humble words, I started crying.
Not in sadness, but simply because I saw the goal and love we are all called to in each of your words spoken.
In a way, it reminded me of the letters sent from the apostles to each church, how they spoke unto the Lord , witnessing and teaching the good news and love of Jesus.
Crossnote, saying both are needed is so true, for there is not life or God's presance, glory, understanding or love in what we speak to or share, if we do not have love and the goal (Jesus), but we need also the scriptures to recieve understanding, thus drawing closer to the goal, our first love, Jesus.
I know only that it is in being last, less, in humility, that we draw closer to God in Jesus.
And that it is in Jesus, the desire and willingness unto Him, in everything, in every moment lived, that the goal is lived and found, that we attain and live the love of Jesus.
For everything is given, worked in us by God for His glory.

All is your glory, all is your praise, all is your power, all is your love Lord God!
Thankyou for drawing us with your love!
Thankyou Lord Jesus for your sacrifice!


God bless
pickles